main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mod Squad Update Experience: Are You Experienced? (August 19-25)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Son of the Suns, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Mod Squad Update - August 19 - 25

[color=blue][b]Promotions, Demotions and Vacations[/b][/color]

[ul][li]The Mod Squad welcomed [hl=mistyrose][color=seagreen][b]jedi-mind-trick[/b][/color][/hl] as the new Your JC Community moderator.[/li][/ul]
    [ul][li]Due to inactivity, [color=red][u][b]jedimasterED[/b][/u][/color] was demoted to VIP.[/li][/ul]
    [ul][li][b][hl=darkorchid][color=darkorange]Bobafemme[/color][/hl][/b] returned as RSA for the US Mid-West Region.[/li][/ul]
    [ul][li][color=oldlace][hl=firebrick][b]Liz Skywalker[/b][/hl][/color] went on vacation.[/li][/ul]
    [ul][li][i][b][color=steelblue][u]Sturm Antilles[/u][/color][/b][/i] returned as Literature moderator after getting into the SW spirit again.[/ul][/li]
    [ul][li][color=red][u][b]Lobot_Omy[/b][/u][/color] was re-promoted to moderator shortly after this thread was posted.[/li][/ul]

[color=blue][b]ACers and Titles[/b][/color]

A poll was started in The Advisory Council asking whether the ACers wanted to have titles or not. All those who voted were in favor of getting the titles, so [color=yellow][hl=limegreen][b]NathanDahlin[/b][/hl][/color] proceeded to give them out.

[color=blue][b]Ideas to Improve YJCC[/b][/color]

Discussion continued on ways to improve the Your JC Community forum.

[color=blue][b]Icons[/b][/color]

[hl=lightcyan][color=teal][b]Grilled-Sarlacc[/b][/color][/hl] started a [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8434571]thread[/link] asking for all icon-creators to submit their own favorite icons that they have created. The icons have been organized into [link=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/icons/index.html]a single webpage[/link] and will be voted on. The plan is to upload the icons receiving the most votes.

[color=blue][b]New Banners[/b][/color]

[b]Darth_Imran[/b] won the 3SA banner contest and his banner was uploaded.

Also, [color=gray][hl=darkred][b]Lord Mauly Mall[/b][/hl][/color] has created a new banner for The Phantom Menace forum. It should be uploaded soon.

[color=blue][b]Problem Users... Again[/b][/color]

And finally, problem users were discussed. But you already knew that.

[b][color=blue]Song of the Week[/color][/b]

This week's song is an altered version of The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil". You might want to call it "Sympathy for the Troll". :)

[blockquote][i]Please allow me to introduce myself
    I'm a member of wealth and taste
    I've been around for a long long year stolen many man's polls and threads
    I was around when [b]jasman[/b] had his moment of Speedo and pain
    Made damn sure that the oldbies saw it all and sealed their fate
    Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game

Stuck around Miscellaneous when I saw it was a time for a change
    Killed the fun and posted spam, the oldbies screamed in vain
    I was like a tank when I held a moderator's rank
    when Slackergate raged and Communications stank
    Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name. Oh yeah
    Ah what's puzzling you is the nature of my game. Oh yeah

I watched the glee while the mods and the users fought for
    ten days for the drama they made
    I shouted out "Who ended the Golden Age?"
    when after all
    it was you and me
    Let me please introduce myself
    I'm a member of wealth and taste
    And I lay traps for newbies who get banned before they get to say "Hey"
    Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name. Oh yeah
    But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game. Oh yeah
    But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game

Just as every mod is a criminal and all the trolls are saints
    as heads is tails, just call me Trollifer 'cause I'm in need
    of some restraint
    So if you meet me, have some courtesy have some sympathy
    and some taste
    Use all your well learned etiquette or I'll lay your board to waste
    But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game[/i][/blockquote]

[hr]

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

oooh! i love the Jimi Hendrix inspired title! great song parody as well...

and thank you for the update! :)

i am delighted to see AC members with titles - it really helps to identify them...

3. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Good job! I'm pretty sure the AC needs titles, keep working on YJCC, exc.

Im experienced!

4. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Thanks for the heads up, Carter, that my TPM banner wasn't going to be used. I guess a PM woulda taken too much effort. Probably not as much time as it took for me to make the damn thing at the request of the TPM moderator, but whatever.

5. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Good job, guys.

Here here, GayLen.

6. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    GLK, CBJedi and OakesSteve told me about it but I'd mentioned to them that LMM would be creating it. I'd figured they would've have contacted you regarding this issue.

There have been miscommunications going around concerning all the different forum banners but that's recently been sorted out.

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    They told me that it was still being considered, you were waiting to see what LMM produced and then would choose. I was never told that there was no chance, so I have been waiting to hear something since the 9th.

Kinda crummy that other forums get to have a contest that everyone is free to make submissions in, but TPM's community gets no choice in the matter, nor does AOTC's.

8. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    LMM's TPM banner is very good. I'm not sure why they asked you to create a TPM banner since you aren't a staff designer.

There have been banner contests for Games, Literature, and 3SA and we will most likely have more of them in the future.

If there was a TPM banner contest, it would've been opened to everyone.

As for AOTC forum, I think the present JC one serves that forum exceptionally well.

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the update. Must've been slow this week.

10. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Ideas to improve the JCC were discussed?

Surely you mean ideas to avoid making the hard decisions in there? It seems like the administration knows about that.

Surely you mean ideas to avoid the overwhelming amount of social threads in there? I mean, after all, all the JCC mods are known for their impartiality in this area. Conflict of interest? Dont be crazy. Hypocrisy? No. Not possible.

Surely you mean ideas to get rid of the pointless threads...the topics with no discussion value. I mean, after all, the JCC mods are known for their quality discussion contributions. Conflict of interest again? Again, that is a crazy notion. Hypocrisy again? Nah, couldnt be.

Fess up guys. You have no idea what you are doing, and you dont want to listen to people that might say things you dont want to hear.

11. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    You think you could do a better job, Dagsy?

12. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    "I'm not sure why they asked you to create a TPM banner since you aren't a staff designer. "

Probably because it's becoming clear that not just staff designers can make banners that can be used, and he has requested other graphics work from me in the past. I'm sure he wanted to keep pace with the rest of the forums that were getting to change their banners, and didn't want to or didn't know how to organize a contest.

He asked me the same day that you publicly closed down DarthSapient's contest without fore-warning. I guess he was trying to avoid the same public embarassment.

Moreover, if those other forums are allowed to have outside designers create and submit banners, why not all of them? By opening it up to OT, Games, and 3SA, you have already established a precendent that the staff designer doesn't have a monopoly on banner submission. Why now are you denying it in this instance. Did the TPM mod not jump through the right hoops?

13. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    think you could do better?

14. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Despite what people may be saying, Red, I dont give a damn about modship, so dont try and bait me.

What I am saying is that the administration are making it clear that they dont want to tackle the tough issues, and want to throw yet another mod at it.

Not only that, they are loading the dice against an effective policy by having such a strong representation of people that feel so strongly for keeping social threads.

Hear me Red, NO MOD SHOULD HAVE BEEN APPOINTED. NONE.

Good policy before promotions.

15. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    "you have already established a precendent that the staff designer doesn't have a monopoly on banner submission."

Inaccurate, LMM does have the monopoly on the banner submissions as staff designer.

"Why now are you denying it in this instance. Did the TPM mod not jump through the right hoops?"

I'm not denying anything and yes, the TPM mod didn't go through proper channels as I inferred in my post above.

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Dagsy, j-m-t posted one of the most in-depth posts on the changes planned for the JCC. Your attitude towards her is totally uncalled for, as are your attacks on the rest of the team.

17. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Oh yes, I forgot that you can't do that. I guess I shoulda re-read that page in your how-to guide, "Rules of Banner Making."

I guess I'll just have to work harder toward the high quality example that is the OT banner. You did approve of that masterpiece, didn't you?

18. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Carter and Gay-Len: Please take this to PM. Thanks.

19. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    yoda is on the current banner 3 times carter.... so this one is bad too right?

20. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    I'm not here to teach anyone design. You either have those skills or you don't. The OT banner was the best of the submissions, though I didn't approve of the type.

AA, the 2 Yodas are used as different aesthetic design elements.

21. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    erm...just my two cents, but my grandmother could make a better freaking OT banner than the one that's up.

honestly people, have you seen that crap? [face_plain]

22. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Im NOTagainst j-m-t but come on another mod for YJCC ? What get another mod on a board and the problem will go away ? Get your hands dirty, tackle the tough issues. j-m-t's promotion was uncalled for, it's not that she's not deserving, but WHY was there a need for a new mod ?

By the way that banner for the OT board kinda is lacking . . .

23. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    thats a banner?

24. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    This could easily have been discussed in PMs. But I never got one and wasn't made aware of the decision until this thread.

Good catch about Yoda, AA. I guess LMM's banner sucks just as bad as mine.

Edit: "Sorry but there's no contest."

Sure there wasn't. You just said that you had already decided before you even saw what LMM was working on that you didn't want to use mine. I never had a shot at it. You just choose not to let me, nor cbjedi or Oaskessteve, know.

25. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    Im NOT but come another mod for YJCC ? Come on what through a mod at it and the problem will go away ? Get your hands dirty, tackle the tough issues j-m-t promation was uncalled for, it's not that she's not deserving, but WHY ?

I can't for the life of me make out what you're saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.