main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mod Squad Update Experience: Are You Experienced? (August 19-25)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Son of the Suns, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Another thing. A lot of people are complaining that the "social" threads are taking up too much of Page 1.

What's to stop these same people from clicking on the little "2" at the bottom of the page? It's there for a reason.

Heck, I'll go back 15 pages to find a thread I want to post to. It takes less than a minute for me to go that far. Would it hurt everyone else so much to try it?

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Would it hurt everyone else so much to try it?"

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some people don't have time to check out anything more than the first page. I would also think people with slower connections probably tend to check fewer pages of threads as well.

Amazing.

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So, Farraday, what then dictates which social threads stay (or can start) and which ones go (or can't start)? That is the big question, I suppose.

The Light Side and Dark Lords aren't fundamentally social threads...A move back to their initial purposes would be beneficial for everyone involved.

I tend to agree. But by being a group, they/we are inhertiantly social. That is an aspect of their/our very nature. You can't remove that aspect without removing the group.

Quix, yes, that goes without saying. We want members, not socks, and flamers and trolls have little-to-no place on the JCC, much less the DLs.

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Did I say I was in the 'limit social threads to five' club?

It is my firm belief that if the moderaters had a more active presence in social threads and held the line against a common understanding of spam, some of those social threads would die.

Furthermore, I am quite sure it would eliminate atleast some of the posting meaning they wouldn't be on the front page as much leaving more room for smaller threads.
    To be honest, not all social threads are problematic. The ones most likely to cause difficulties are the ones with a high volume of posting. It is difficult for almost anyone to police a thread when it's getting 300 posts a day a nigh near impossible for a mod with other tasks.

toochilled, social clubes and threads are open to everyone but they aren't for everyone. To my way of thinking, it's easy to say there aren't many social threads so just ignore them, but their size and volume makes them a huge part of the JCC and any attempts to change the JCC will have to include them.

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    farraday, you should come back as a Mod and help straighten the problem out.

I agree that some of the social threads would die if you cut the SPAM, but the big 3 will remain. Even now, we're trying to police ourselves and cut down on the SPAM, but it's kinda hard to limit the number of posts when you have 5 or 6 people that are posting at one time.

I refuse to ignore somebody if they say something that I want to respond to or they directly address me just because it might be considered SPAM. I will move the conversation to PM if it appears that it will be a protracted conversation, however.

6. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Why thank you salty, I've already set up a panel for my remodeling campaign and have grown a beard for a different look. But I keep sweating like a pig for some reason.

There?s nothing wrong with people talking to each other, but there really should be an end to the "hi", "bye", "is any one here?" and similar posts.

Perhaps if we just upped the post limit to once every five minutes? [face_devil]

;)

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    ...every 5 minutes

Hmmm...that's an interesting proposition. I'm not sure how many would go for it but I kinda like it. We really are trying to cut down on the "hi, bye, bored, is anyone here" crap. It's going to take some time to change people's posting habits, however.

I'm glad you have a beard. That will show that you have warmth and a strong character. The sweating part is terrible. That might hurt your re-election chances.

;)

8. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I don't know about changing the one-post-per-minute to one-post-per-five-minutes. Sure it would cut down a great deal on the "hi, bye" type of posts, but it would also make discussions harder to carry on.

9. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well what makes one thread better than the other? What would decide who stays and who goes....I am a supporter of social threads, I think they should be allowed to stay. I think that if people want to start a new social thread, they should go to Admin and explain what the thread is about. and ten admin decides if it can open on the JCC. And another thought is that maybe the JCC needs more Mods to watch and regulate! Maybe there are not enough Mods to check everythread.......Just a thought.

10. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    It is my firm belief that if the moderaters had a more active presence in social threads and held the line against a common understanding of spam, some of those social threads would die.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I agree with this.

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    farraday a mod again? :eek: *shudder* That's a scary thought! :p

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    It?s funny. Before I was a mod, I?d get the 1 post per minute errors far, far too often for my liking. Since I got the upgrade, I?ve spent a lot more time typing up my posts, and I?m rarely in a situation where I?d get a 1PPME.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Ditto for me on that, Gandolf, although I still don't write much at one time.

14. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I am no Mod, and know its not likely I will ever be one, but since I have joined, I have been getting the 1MPM Error. The only time I get it is when I first get on, and I check the last couple threads I posted in, and type a message in that, and post it, while I have two or three messages in a row, I usually get the error.

Over at one of the boards I go to, Mod's don't get the 1 Message Per Minute rule, which I can understand. I don't think they need it here, and they probably wouldn't be able to take it off. ?[face_plain]

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    VIP?s and other special types don?t get 1PPME?s. What I was saying is that I?ve slowed down my posting, so I?m no longer in situations where I?d get the error.

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Hell, I think I got it once or twice when iw asn't a mod.

17. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    VIP?s and other special types don?t get 1PPME?s.

VIPs don't? You sure?

18. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Check that out, we don't. Live and learn.

EDIT - Sorry, not intending to spam, but I couldn't resist trying it out. Not that I really need to post more than once a minute, but kind of cool to know I can, if need be.

19. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Perhaps someone (think farraday) should be made a mod with the express understanding that their primary duty is to monitor social threads...

20. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    That would be interesting to see, but I am not sure if farraday would agree.

He is one of the most respected members of the JC, and we all know he would be better than mostly anyone, if the mods decided to appoint someone to that.

21. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Well, it doesn't have to be farraday...that's just who popped into mind first.

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    One of the problems I would see with somethign like that, is the measures such a mod would have to take at first might be considered draconian. For example, short spanks for first or second time offenders. In the past spamming hasn't been considered a very bannable offense except in extreme cases. If we agreed(I'd I think we mostly have) that hi/bye/whos here? type posts are spam, in my opinion a 12-24 hour spank would remind them that such posts violate the JC's rules, and in most cases the threads rules, better then a warning.

Also, I think the mod in charge of social threads would spend more time defending his actions to the mods backscene then actually moderating the social threads.

23. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Well then it seems that our discussion here is premature.

Perhaps if the mods backstage could get a handle on some sort of cohesive policy, things might be better. The YJCC is a reflection of those policies to an extent.

24. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    How many times do I need to say this:

[b][color=black][hl=yellowgreen]Just wait.[/hl][/color][/b][hr]

We are in the process of setting the policies.

If we make snap decisions and take immediate action.....you all whinge.
    When we take the time to consider repurcussions that a situation like this deserves.....you all whinge.

It's really diheartening to come here and see the same people taking swings for absolutely no reason. Just chill out and wait. :)

And I don't think anyone has said [b]farraday[/b] is not allowed to resume his position in the ranks of the administration. I'm sure that as soon as he expressed interest in the position, we would of course consider it. Nobody is doubting his ability and his standing in JCC. [b]farraday[/b]'s status is not the question here and should not be brought into it, IMHO.

25. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    If we make snap decisions and take immediate action.....you all whinge.
    When we take the time to consider repurcussions that a situation like this deserves.....you all whinge.

DA, well said, but I don't understand this "whingn" thing is. ;)

Anyway, I personally thing that it is a good thing that the mods are taking their time on this issue, since it has some fairly major implications on the YJCC. I am sure, when they are ready, that the mods will let us know and we can discuss what the new poilicy is in a civil manner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.