main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mod Squad Update Experience: Are You Experienced? (August 19-25)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Son of the Suns, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

There definitely should be some guidelines regarding new social threads. One of the mods suggested making it so that if someone wants to start one, they need to PM a mod and get their permission beforehand. I liked that idea.

As for the existing threads -- they should probably be viewed by a case by case basis. I'll go through them all a little later, but right now I'm going to eat some dinner.

Mmmmm. Dinner.

2. Gandalf_the_Pink

Gandalf_the_Pink Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2001
    Anyone else find GriffZ's new color scheme incredibly sexy?

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    There definitely should be some guidelines regarding new social threads.

In the spirit of fairness, these new guidelines should effect all social threads equally. Obviously the idea of asking for permission could be waved for older, more established ones, but if you're going to set a limit on post counts, so forth, it should evenly be reflected across the board (pardon the pun).

Anyone else find GriffZ's new color scheme incredibly sexy?

Well, admittably, Beru was definitely the sex-appeal of ANH...

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I'm wondering if anything can be done about all the "appreciation" threads. It seems like one or two new ones show up every day.

People are just choosing some obscure topic and creating an appreciation thread for it. At the rate they're multiplying, they'll soon take over like the parody threads did.

5. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    The BYS is an already-established social group with a large and loyal membership base. To close it down doesn't seem right. If anything, moving it would be a better choice.

So standards and rules aren't going to be enforced because a thread becomes a certain size?

6. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Let's face it, the mods have shown that this is their strategy for the YJCC:

Make as many people mods as possible. Also make sure they are all from the same base group of people (i.e. pro-social threads), I mean, can you imagine what would happen f there were BALANCE?!

-Try and "improve" the YJCC before trying to fix it. You could start by making a clear definition. No intelligent conversation can go there because they will always be redirected to the Senate or Amphitheatre. Face it, once you made the Amphitheatre (which few post in), you screwed yourselves.

7. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I think Dagsy said it best on Page 1, then GriffZ later on.
    Something definitly needs to be done about the JCC. Everyone that I've talked to lately seems to agree, this place has really gone down.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

8. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Why is Griff using Girl Colors Again ?[face_plain]

!Shinjo :)

9. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Most of the social groups (BYS, DL, LS, the dorms, Red_Oktober's Backyard, and a couple of others in the YJCC as well as the others else where (such as the "Yareal Poof is STILL my Dad" thread in the AOTC forums, for example)) have a large membership base and thus should not be closed down. The limitation should be on the new groups that seem to be constantly be popping up.

So threads that have already have been started stay open, but anyone's new ideas for a thread get closed? This strikes me as unfair. Now, I don't particularly like social threads in the JCC (FFC seems ok, as not much else is really there...), but whatever policy is inforced should be fair to all. I think the best way to solve this is to create some kind of "social threads forum."

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That would be nice, but I doubt that'll happen since no one seems to want it.

//shrugs

Any more problems you guys want to throw out for consideration?

EDIT: Or better yet... any ideas to fix said problems? ;)

11. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
  12. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Part of the problem is that the Tour of the Neighborhood is not up to date. I found several threads that were locked in the "Tour." Also, several of the threads that are "social" threads in the YJCC are currently inactive and have been so for quite some time. Perhaps the following should be done:

No new social threads for now.

Try and cleanup what there is now.

Figure a policy new threads.

13. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Hey, could we get some sort of warning that the above link goes to 3SA? [face_plain]

Edit: Thanks KW

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    How's that?

15. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah, you might get spoiled that PALPATINE=SIDOUS!! OMG!!11!

16. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Any more problems you guys want to throw out for consideration?
    Bring back the stars!!!1!!11!1!11 :p

17. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    "SO because some troll posted that Yoda was blue and someone said...OMG!!1!!!111!1 Let's go with this, it deserves to stay open?"

Not that a person said . . OMG! lets go with this. But more of it stayed open because people were having FUN! I think that we get so involved in "what should stay/ what should go" talk that we forget to have fun.

For me, creativity = Fun . .. especially if you can take a theme from Star Wars and run with it. I'm willing to bet that as a result of EPIII a few more creative social threads will come about.

Of coarse, it will have to be up to intellgent leadership to decide that.

And then there are the ones that happen on Purpose, like Darth Holiday's Exploited Universe. But these are still very rare.

In short . . . have fun, and don't get your feelings hurt just cause your topic got locked. That is all. Good night.

18. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Not that a person said . . OMG! lets go with this. But more of it stayed open because people were having FUN! I think that we get so involved in "what should stay/ what should go" talk that we forget to have fun.
    Well, what some people think is fun, could be another person's spam. Parody threads can be funny, but their spam plagued the Community awhile ago...

19. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Bring back the stars!!!1!!11!1!11

and this would aid the cause of less spam? :p (bah, I know you were joking)

Part of the problem is that the Tour of the Neighborhood is not up to date.

since jmt recently became a mod, I'm willing to bet that the revisions will be edited into the first post instead of being added later as replies.

20. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Part of the problem is that the Tour of the Neighborhood is not up to date
    I just checked that earlier and I think it was edited today...

21. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Yes, she should be able to edit the post by herself now, instead of sending the updates to the older mods to help her with it.

And I like that idea, about no new Social Threads. There seems like something else that needs to be done to make it a better place...But I can't put my finger on it :(

!Shinjo :)

22. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    In the link posted above, 90% of that was spam. If it's not a social thread a thread get locked for it. I know I keep repeating this, but since I've been thoroughly(sp?) ignored, I'll ask again:

Are there different rules for the Social threads?

It appears to me that there is, and that's sad.

Ok, so I'm off to bed now.

23. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    EDIT: Or better yet... any ideas to fix said problems?

Re: Appreciation threads (and how to limit them)

I agree that these can be very good topics, but it also seems that there are tons of them around that go nowhere. So the problem is how to encourage the ones that people will have an interest in, but close those that most people ignore.

My suggestion would be a time/length limit. If an appreciation thread does not get X number of constructive posts in a Y time, topic is locked because there is not enough interest. An alternative measure would be that the thread has to have X users actively engaged in the consversation within Y time.

For example, 10 other member have to actively engage in the discussion within 10 hours. Or whatever.

I know it might not keep all the appreciation threads off the front page, but at least it would prevent a thread from becoming the personal chat room for two or three people that are just being mocked or egged on by spammers or people hijacking a thread. I know bright line rules can seem harsh, but there has to be some kind of standard.

~H~

24. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I had contacted Neck about updating the threads in the YJCC header a couple of weeks ago. He is aware of it and was already planning on changes. He was going to include JMT's input, regardless, but her recent promotion should speed up the process.

25. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Part of the problem is that the Tour of the Neighborhood is not up to date

With what I did tonight for GriffZ and jmt, the social threads part of the "Tour of the Neighborhood" should be updated fairly soon. I don't know about the rest of the links, since I am not about to go delving in to that right now.

EDIT: You can PM me if you really want to know what I did. It wasn't that much, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.