main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The model shop

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Obi-Ewan, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    There's already a thread devoted to the CGI of ROTS. Personally, I find the use of models to be much more interesting, as I believe that the use of physical, tangible structures to represent the settings lends a realism that CGI can't give you. Of all the post-production reports I'd like to read, there needs to be one (or a video segment, as with AOTC) devoted to the work of the ILM model shop. Even with all the CGI in the prequels, models are used more now than they were in the old trilogy. It would delight me to no end if they ended up using more models than CG, although Peter Jackson may be more reliable in that respect. Still, the prequels have had no shortage of model usage.

2. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Episode II was one of the biggest model shows in the history of cinema. ILM used an extensive number of models in the film, far more than people realize. I don't see why ROTS is going to be any different.

Off the top of my head, the following things were models in AOTC:

* Overhead view of Mos Espa
    * The Tuscan camp as seen from a distance
    * The Jedi Archives interior
    * Coruscant night club exterior
    * Dex's Diner exterior
    * Topico city exterior on Kamino (the water is CGI)
    * Padme's apartment building exterior
    * The Geonosin arena
    * Hanger interior where Dooku speaks with Sidious
    * Hallway interior during the clone facility tour (the view seen through the windows was largely CGI)

There are dozens more. The idea that Lucas creates everything with computers is a misnomer.

3. Darth_Mugzilla

Darth_Mugzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    ...But it is a far cry from ESB. AT-ATs, spaceships, cloud city, space worms, asteroids, Ion cannons, Taun tauns, Yoda...

The models of ESB MADE the magic of Star Wars for me. ESB is responsible for awakening the imagination in my childhood.

4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    So does the CGI with kids of today- and me.

5. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    ...But it is a far cry from ESB. AT-ATs, spaceships, cloud city, space worms, asteroids, Ion cannons, Taun tauns, Yoda...

You LOSE. The AT-ATs were OK, I'll say that, but the Taun tauns looked like crap. Asteriods were OK, but the space worm was just a stupid hand pupet. Cloud city was nothing before the Special Editionw as released. Yoda is a hit and miss.

If you think that the models in ESB are better than the models in the PT then you are a sentimental fool. Soon, you will be dead and the saga will live on past you, people will see that the models from the PT are better yet still fit in with the OT.

Raz, you know you can disagree without insulting others. Be careful with language.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'm locking this thread, because it's only going to become a basher/gusher thread. Thanks, G_M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.