main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Mods' Shuffle Challenge - And the Winners Are . . .

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 1, 2012.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello fellow NSWFF-ers!

It is time to kick off another fantastic year of tales told outside of a galaxy far far away. This time of year, everyone's muses are bright, and everyone's pens are itching to write. So, we are providing you with added impetus to do so. That's right, it is time for a Mod challenge ? NSWFF designed and friendly.

*drumroll please . . .*

We are proud to present you with the Mods? Shuffle Challenge!

Your task, should you so accept, is simple:

You are to put your iPod, or music player of choice, on shuffle and take note of the first ten songs that come up. Of these ten songs, select five, and for those five songs, write one short drabble/ficlet to correspond with each song. The entries should be anywhere from a hundred words to a thousand ? but no more than that. Think of this as literary sketching rather than a springboard for a masterpiece of an epic.

<blockquote><b>The Fine Print </b></blockquote>
    * All five ficlets should be posted at once and in the same thread.

* These ficlets can be all for one fandom or all for separate fandoms. If you chose to do a multifandom entry, please remember to include that in your title bar.

* The only songs you are allowed to skip are instrumental tracks. Except for that, please don't give into temptation to scroll further for songs. Remember, this is a challenge! So challenge yourself.

* Once posted, please feel free to provide a link for your story in this thread.

* Please put ?Mods? Shuffle Challenge? in your subject line so the stories are easy to find.

* Your story may be posted at any time from the opening of this thread until the deadline.

<b><blockquote>Voting</b></blockquote>
    The winner will be decided by voting. So, choose which entries you thought responded to their song selections in the most creative manner and PM a first-place and second-place vote to one of your NSWFF mods.

Everyone may vote ? not only those who wrote entries. As a matter of fact, we encourage any and all to vote. Remember, though, do not vote for yourself or vote with socks.

<b><blockquote>Winning </b></blockquote>
    Scoring will be based on votes. Each vote for 1st place will be 2 points; a vote for 2nd place will be worth 1 point. The person with the most total points will win 1st place, 2nd-most votes wins 2nd place, and so on. Three prizes will be awarded:

1 week of colors for 1st place
    72 hours of colors for 2nd place
    24 hours for 3rd place

<b><blockquote>Dates </b></blockquote>
    Stories due by January 31, 11:59 board time
    Votes due by February 7, 11:59 board time

The Entries

(Eligible for Voting)

* The Count's Shufflin', Multifandom, by Count_Drabbu
    * Ficlets of a Geek, Multifandom, by Book-Geek
    * Tales of the Shinobi World Wars, Naruto, by SilSolo
    * As the World Shuffles Along, Multifandom, by DreamingIce
    * Break the Spell, Multifandom, by Master_Jaina1011
    * Look Away, Hunger Games, by karebear214
    * Capitol Stole My Soul, Hunger Games, by FelsGoddess
    * [link=http://bo

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    What if you only have instrumental songs on your iPod? :p

(I'm hoping to rejuvenate my fanfic writing this year. This may be an opportunity... [face_thinking] )

3. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004

[face_laugh]

Well then, you be a clever writer, and let the insturmental tracks inspire you. I wouldn't put it past you to let epic film scores cross inspire you anyway. ;)

And, on that note, this year would be PERFECT with new fic from you. Just saying. :p

~MJ @};-

4. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    Quick question: I know all the ficlets have to be posted at the same time, but do they have to be all in one post or can they be in seperate posts, if they are posted simultaneously without anyone responding in between the posts? Thanks![:D]

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    That is a good question. [face_thinking]

These are short enough snippets of writing that I think that they would look just fine posted all at one time. If things start to look too congested, I know that the
    and the hr] are a mighty fine way to orgainize. :p

BUT, if that drives your inner designer crazy, then please feel free to use the seperate posts. I don't see what that would hurt. [:D]

~MJ @};-

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oooh, I have a question! [face_idea]

... how many times can we enter? [face_batting]

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    My question exactly. I wanna get my muse kicked into gear.

This is the perfect challenge for that!

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Well, only the first post will be voted upon. ;)

But, you can lather, rinse, and repeat as often as needed after. Actually, my own thread is probably going to be a continuation of the challenge as often as my muse can keep up the process. It is a great opportunity for the muse to delve into a multi-fandom without straining any muscles. :cool:

~MJ @};-

9. Count_Drabbu

Count_Drabbu Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 30, 2007
    I have a problem that's nearer the opposite of Idrelle's. Most of the "music" on my iPod is actually audio drama. If I hit shuffle, I'll get a lot of "Episode Two, Part VII" and the like. Should I try to use those, or just skip to the ones that are actually songs?

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    First of all - how neat of a selection you have. :cool:

And then, to answer your question - if you find that such tracks inspire you, then by all means, write for them! If you find not, then skip on for the music. :D

~MJ @};-

11. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    This looks like fun. I just ran my shuffle, and while I have a pretty eclectic playlist, I managed to get a collection of 10 of the weirdest songs on there. Now to find a fandom that works with half of them. I guess that is what makes it a challenge. [face_tired]

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm tempted to use my current playlist, which is pretty much Harry Potter audiobooks, but then I should fill it up with my usual fare and then shuffle. I'll probably get three Glee tracks, two Tchaikovsky ballets, Metallica, Kiss of the Spider Woman and Handel's Messiah.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Count_Drabbu

Sep 30, 2007
    I used my iTunes (which doesn't have most of the dramas) rather than my iPod, so I just sidestepped the earlier concern. I shuffled ten times, so I can do this twice without going back. I won't go into detail about what came up - you'll just have to wait until I post the drabbles - but I will point out one statistical quirk: I have a complete library of Weird Al songs and a near-complete one for the Beatles; one of those popped up three times in the shuffle, the other zero.

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm so excited to see people start to formulaet entries!! :D

Don't forget, this can be a multi-fandom challenge. If you can't find a fandom that fits all yours songs, do more than one!

Drabbu - [face_laugh] I wonder if I'll run into that problem with the Beatles 8-}

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I have an extremely eclectic mix. The one video game track that popped up made me laugh, especially since it has such a boring name (Campaign 03 :p ), runs for about 43 seconds and is from 1999. [face_laugh]

16. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I have half of my roommates songs on mine. And yes I'm gonna cheat because honestly Eminem does nothing for my muse. So I'm taking those songs off before I attempt something.

But it's forthcoming. Starting tomorrow I'll be able to breathe for a bit. And I need to write to get away.

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Half the fun of this challenge is seeing the songs that are going to pop up, that's for sure. [face_laugh]

My selections went from Icelandic folk music, to show tunes, to Sephiroth's Theme. (Yep, Idri, you are not alone with the video game scores ;)) So . . . eclectic, in a word. :p

~MJ @};-

18. Count_Drabbu

Sep 30, 2007
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't want to be part of the voting but this sounded like too much fun to pass up and I have a new fandom I wanted to try my hand at, White Collar. So here's my entry:

James Bonds

20. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    How long can a ficlet be? If it's less than 500 words, is that okay?:confused:

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yep! A hundred to a thousand words for each :)

22. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    Awesome! Thanks![:D]

23. Count_Drabbu

Sep 30, 2007
    I forget. Now that I've finished a second set, am I supposed to post it in the same thread or start a new one?

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    You can keep it in the old one, if you would like. Only the first one would be available for voting, at either rate. :D

~MJ @};-

25. Count_Drabbu

Sep 30, 2007
    Dangit. Anyway, second set's up.