main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Moral Choices/Dilemmas of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Dec 16, 2016.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999

I guess it was just hard for me to accept at first that it in a movie set in the Star Wars universe. But after having read you all's explanation of how the Rebellion became more moral as time went on after ANH, it makes perfect sense. I see now that you did not insult me, and I'm sorry for the snarky response. :)

Sarge likes this.
  2. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999

I think in that case there was no choice. The Rebellion had to do what they had to or else their base would've been destroyed. As well as an entire planet. It was either them or the Empire at that point.

3. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015

Like I said, suggesting one side is morally infallible while the other side is inherently evil with no in-between is flawed and bad writing. No thanks.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That's quite alright CrAsHcHaOs The way I was prepped for this movie, I was expecting War to be more than just the context but also the the thing that sets the tone for character motivation etc. And war is hell. It's one of those clichés that will sadly always be true. The Star Wars episodes have not brought that subtext too far forward. Which I think is one of its appeals and something that I hope they can continue to manage as successfully as they have, without ignoring it totally.

These non episodes though provide an ideal platform to skin that cat in different ways than the episodes. Or can highlight the grubbiness and the greyness of obeying orders, whatever they may be, for a just cause. Remember Yoda suggesting to Luke that sacrificing Han and Leia can be seen as a means that justifies even their ends "if you honour what they fight for".

5. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Not everything needs to be written in one specific style. THAT'S bad writing. Star Wars is fantasy so having a fantasy be more simple in how it tells it's tales is no issue at all.

And i wasnt saying that the Rebellion had to be clean. Like i said in my first post here, i have no issue with the Rebellion working with bounty hunters, thieves, and gangsters. This can bring all sort of moral shades and discussions.

I have an issue when the Rebellion forcing people to do things they dont want to do. There's no shades there and no discussion. That's bad. That's, "we dont torture we do 'enhanced interrogation'" type of stuff. No, you torture. Andor and that group behind him saying that they things they didnt like, things they cant live with, wow, that's crazy. When you have rebels saying, "the Rebellion is kinda messed up." That's when you crossed a line that you cant cross back.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a pretty popular trope - if you're thinking of what the Rebels do with Jyn:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoxedCrook

7. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I didn't get through every page so I apologize if this has been posted already.

I enjoyed the the shades of gray shown in R1 as opposed to the black and white of the OT.

As far as why this shift happened consider the political climate of the 70s compared to now. From WW2 and into the Cold War it was Us vs Them, black and white. Modern wars are perceived with those shades of gray. They've always been there, but it was culturally glossed over before.

8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    After watching RO my complex analysis is still Rebellion good, Empire bad.

9. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    The last was my problem. The orders were stupid. They should have been to capture or failing capture to kill. If possible you want the knowledge especially since the thing is operational.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Draven does seem pretty foolish giving that order. Especially when, according to the junior book Rogue One Secret Mission, he will get into trouble for disobedience when it comes out.

11. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Sure, someone in the Rebellion made a really BAD call on limited information.

Anyone who expects the "good guys" to always make the right military calls should take a good look at the last 15 years of US foreign policy.

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It's clear the Rebels are reaching the point of desperation in this film. Rumors of this devastating weapon are pushing people to the brink, and when those rumors are confirmed, we have several on the Alliance Council actually calling for an end of the Rebellion itself.

13. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Exactly. Every military organization has its share of incompetents, and perhaps that's why Draven is out of the picture in the succeeding films. Also, abducting Galen would likely be a more costly operation than sending a squadron to bomb the facility. We the audience know that he was actively trying to undermine the Empire in his own way, but for Draven he was just another Imperial scientist, so not worth the expense in blood.

Ricardo Funes, Iron_lord and Satipo like this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The Rebellion was a rather large umbrella group made up of multiple different factions/races/groups, who each have their own personal viewpoints, methods, ideologies, etc. And the one kind of general goal that was uniting them was defeating the Empire. So it's only logically that some might be more or less extreme/ruthless than others. It's like the Allies during WWII. The Americans, British, Soviets, Chinese, etc were all very different from each other and had very different ways of looking at things. And what united them, was defeating the Axis Powers.

It's also why the New Republic turning out as it did post-ROTJ made sense to me. After the overarching threat is gone, those old divisions and differences start to reemerge and cause problems. Again, think the Cold War starting after WWII ended.

15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    To me, Draven thinks extraction will not be possible and thinks the easier option is to cripple the weapons program by eliminating him. The fact that he's wrong seemed kind of the point.

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah "bomb the crap out of everything and kill the guy" does, on the surface, seem to be the quicker and easier option than "send a team in specifically to extract him from this place."

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    To be fair to Draven, he does try to get the bombers to stand down.

Avnar and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Or he has little to no faith (unlike the politicians) that anything will happen if Galen is brought to testify against the Empire in the Senare...

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Absolutely.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Well since Jedha seemed to have mainly just that one city the moon was pretty much destroyed- saying that Empire destroyed Jedha is not exaggeration while yes celestial body of Jedha and Scarif remained intact. Sure the Empire has more or less destroyed other planets in canon such as Lasan and Geonosis which populations were destroyed almost entirely while Alderaan is the one that was literally blown up into oblivion. Not sure if Anaxes that was destroyed in cataclysmic event of some kind (according to databank)is also Empire's doing- maybe it also has something to do with the Death Star project or maybe it was purely natural phenomenon caused by astronomical events. I wonder why new canon made Anaxes destroyed planet- in old canon it was still intact. Anyway Rebellion has not caused similar disasters in canon as Empire- that's the point.

Iron_lord and Ricardo Funes like this.
  21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That literally IS Star Wars.

I did not like the "morally grey" stuff from the Alliance. Realisitic yes, but not Star Wars. Watch the OT again if you think it is.

22. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Killing someone is most definitely morally grey. As long as the rebels never killed anyone, ever, then people can maintain the idea that it has no place in Star Wars, ever.

23. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    The part I find hilarious is that they consider Saw's group far too extremist and they allow that idiot arrange for Jyn to meet up with her father only so they could assassinate him?!

Still trying to find a copy of the novelisation mind you, but I have no problems with the Rebels being far from perfect after all we had our hint of that when Tarkin was introduced in the Star Wars Rebels series when he paid more attention to the group that was trying to avoid unnecessary bloodshed over the rest... including Ahsoka please note it would have been more interesting if they had no Jedi involved in the Ghost group to see if Tarkin would have reacted the same towards them if they held the same scruples?

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have only read the first page of this thread but in response to the topic...no way is the Rebellion as bad as the Empire.

They were not perfect, and some of them, specifically Saw's team (who had been excised from the larger Alliance for being too militant and extremist) did some very questionable things.

But the Empire is a totalitarian government which uses terrorism to execute its political enemies, and any innocents in the vicinity, without trial.

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    this thread seems like
    is every Rebellion in History just as bad as the tyrants they want to overthrow? Depends on the goals of the rebels.

Freeing the Galaxy from tyrants who just built a weapon that can destroy planets and kill billions/trillions. So doing some questionable things to achieve this is actually normal/expected.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.