main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The morality and ethics of using a clone army: The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MrFantastic74, May 5, 2011.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Your quote is over here, Valairy Scot!!!!!

"I think it shows GL's molding the movies into more space fantasy/opera than hard sci fi - those kind of questions just don't come up in space opera."???????​

2. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    I guess he didn't want to get into such a heavy and contentious subject. I'm not saying that he was right to avoid it, but it would have changed the tone of the movies a great deal. There are movies that consider this and similar topics but they are generally much darker and less family-oriented than SW. Of course, you could say that it would have been simpler if he just hadn't introduced the clones at all, but he made that decision and now we're stuck with it!

Julius Vernon likes this.
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Or maybe you could just switch their roles around!!!!!

4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I probably shouldn't say "makes no sense to me whatsoever" because I agree with the things you have written. I'm not sure the PT was the place to discuss this, but I do think it is something that needs to be discussed (and is) in the EU and elsewhere.

5. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah yes, that's one of the advantages of the EU. The disadvantage, of course, is that everyone seems to have a different opinion on these matters, including the various EU writers! It tends to make things even more complicated.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Which can sometimes make it fun and other times bog you down in apparent contradiction.

Eryndil likes this.
  7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

He did question the Jedi's use of the clone army, when he allowed the latter to bring about the destruction of the Jedi Order. Order 66 was the payback that the Jedi faced for being willing to use the clone army on behalf of the Republic. That seemed pretty obvious to me . . . even when I first saw ROTS in '05.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith. The Jedi had defeated the Galactic Sith Empires from taking over the galaxy and installing it into a brutal tyrannical dictatorship, so, in retaliation, the Sith Lords had planned a revenge against the Jedi for over a damn millenia, dudes!!!!!

"Once more the Sith will/shall rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace"!!!
    "the Opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost, my lord"!!!
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. And at last we will have our revenge"!!!

9. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The problem I feel with discussions like this, and really any prequel discussions about the lack of logic and making sense and whatnot, is that people keep trying to insert real life-constructs, ethics and morality, when really this is a freaking space fantasy world. They speak English, yet they don't use the Roman Alphabet, for example.

Nothing against this discussion, I feel it's a good one. But maybe to the Star Wars denizens, their sense of morality and ethics is not as high or low as ours in the real world?

ILNP likes this.
  10. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I think there are times when Lucas introduces topics or themes that he simply doesn't have time to explore, or that he doesn't have the inclination to explore - and I think the clone army is one of the biggest examples of that. As others have noted in this Thread, the clones are, basically, slaves - human beings who are genetically modifiied to follow orders more readily, to be more compliant to following orders. And while some characters express misgivings over the use of that army, they don't do it very strongly, or at any length. The movies rush on past this point, and I think it is because the writers feel they NEED to ... for plot purposes. Lucas NEEDED an Army that would turn on the Jedi at the drop of a hat. He needed an army that would fight fiercely and loyally along side the Jedi at one minute, and would turn on them and kill them the next, because of his story structure. And so... we get no real meaningful discussion of the situation.

Shadow