main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Morning Side of Life - Luke/Mara vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: The Morning Side of Life
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Luke, Mara
    Summary: It?s a typical morning in the Skywalker household.

The Morning Side of Life

Mara stared at Luke over the rim of her cup, watching with amused interest as he perused the day?s news on his data pad. He frowned as he read the galactic events section, as he usually did. She could always tell where he was in the news by the expression on his face. She had watched him do this countless mornings, yet she could never seem to look away. It never grew old, this quiet moment when he seemed as if he belonged only to her.

Then his expression cleared and she knew he had come to the sports.

A smug little smile tugged at his lips and she predicted that Han Solo would soon be parting with some credits. Both she and Leia pretended ignorance about their husbands? unfortunate but harmless habit of betting on various sports events. Their wagers did not always involve credits. There were times when one or the other of them had to work on the Falcon or attend some sort of function that normally they would have wriggled out of with a lame excuse.

Mara always found a way to escape being punished with Luke when lost such a wager. She suspected that Luke knew of her machinations, but he never said a word. There was a look in his eyes, however, that gave him away. She maintained her innocent façade, though, and Luke?s innate sense of fairness kept him from saying anything.

As if he sensed her scrutiny, he looked up, his eyes crinkling with his smile. ?Do I have caf on my lip?? he asked, licking at mouth. She stared at his lips. Then one brow quirked. ?My, my,? he chided quietly. ?Isn?t it a bit early for that?? He sounded more interested than appalled, however.

?It?s never too early, or late for that matter, for that,? she replied. ?Besides, it?s your fault. You shouldn?t look so damned awake in the mornings.? Mara shook her head. ?It?s not natural, I tell you. Simply not natural.?

Setting aside the data pad, Luke took another sip of caf. ?It is if you were raised on a farm,? he said. She had heard this argument before and still didn?t credit it. No one wanted to be up and cheerful at this time of day, farmer or not.

?Unnatural,? she muttered insistently. Then she sighed and nibbled at her morning meal. Food simply was not all that appealing in the morning, she mused. But if she skipped eating, Luke would get that look on his face and she would feel guilty all day. She pushed the food around on her plate, hoping to make it look as if she had eaten more than she had.

Luke glanced at her plate, and grinned at her. ?A bit of nutrition in the morning makes the day go right,? he said pointedly.

?Not if I hurl,? Mara returned with a smirk.

He heaved a long-suffering sigh. ?Imp.?

?Rebel.?

They smiled at each other, the words having long ago lost their sting. She pushed aside the plate, knowing he was satisfied that she had eaten as much as she intended to, despite his best efforts to win her over the morning side of life.

Luke tucked away the last bites of his rather large meal, patting his belly with satisfaction.

?It?s kind of disgusting to watch you eat in the morning,? Mara noted.

?I love you too,? he said dryly.

?I didn?t say I don?t love you,? Mara observed. ?Just that it?s really sort of disgusting to watch a human ingest so much food this early in the morning.?

?Farm boy, remember?? He tilted his head. ?Aunt Beru used to take it as a personal insult if all the food wasn?t eaten in the morning.? He paused. ?Old habits are hard to break, I guess.?

Mara smiled at the expression of affection on his face. She could sense his love for the long-dead Beru, the guardian who had raised him and watched over him so carefully. ?I wish I had known her,? Mara said, not for the first time.

Luke?s eyes met hers. ?Me too.? Then he shook his head. ?I would have loved to see you and my Uncle Owen go a few rounds. He would have loved arguing with you.?

?I wo

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweetest Vadey! I'll be back to review later. Just know that between this & Mira_Jade's Trek viggie that I snuck a peek at earlier... woo! i'm set for the month--not July ... August. [face_laugh]

[:D]

!!!!!
    Oh, that was perfect, every sweet and funny and marvelous word. Your Mara is perfect, as always. Always. Thank you for this delicious delightful slice of morning life.

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    *Melting into a big puddle of goo!!!!!!!!!!!!!* [face_love]

Love this. Love, love LOVE this!

LOL Moment: ?It?s kind of disgusting to watch you eat in the morning,? Mara noted.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Bravo! =D=

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Turns into a happy puddle of goo near the end [face_love]

And I bet Mara could take Owen under the table and win :D

Loved it =D=

5. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Luke glanced at her plate, and grinned at her. ?A bit of nutrition in the morning makes the day go right,? he said pointedly.

?Not if I hurl,? Mara returned with a smirk.

Loved this exchange. Her response is so vintage Mara Jade.

He heaved a long-suffering sigh. ?Imp.?

?Rebel.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

?I would have loved to see you and my Uncle Owen go a few rounds. He would have loved arguing with you.?

Now that I'd pay money to see.

?Are too.?

A small chirp from the next room made Luke laugh. ?No, R2, we?re not calling for you.?

I had been waiting for someone to say this and R2 comes by mistake. My wait is over!

Great exchange here as always. And now I must tip toe off, for Luke and Mara may be busy. [face_thinking] Then again, maybe they won't hear.

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Maybe mornings aren?t all bad

Especially when you spend them in the right way! ;)

That was so beautifully mushy!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I love seeing Luke and Mara enjoying happy, peaceful times.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Just love it! [face_love] What a sweet pick-me-up!

ETA: I forgot to say I love the "Are too" Artoo bit. [face_laugh]

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Absolutely beautiful! [face_love]

This to me, more than anything is what love is like, not the completely mushy mush. Not that I don't love some mush now and then, but this... watching something someone does everyday and loving watching them is what love really is.

?It?s kind of disgusting to watch you eat in the morning,? Mara noted.

This, the banter, says love to me more than most anything else and I think it is beautiful!

Wonderful job! =D= I enjoyed this immensely!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.