Clone Wars The Mortis Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Nexumaster, Mar 29, 2013.

?

So What Do You Think Of The Mortis Arc?

I Like/Love It 72 vote(s) 62.1%
I Dislike/Hate It 18 vote(s) 15.5%
I Have No Strong Feelings One Way Or The Other 26 vote(s) 22.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Valkyrus Force Ghost

star 4
    Why would the force have this special place that just happens to be situated in this one galaxy out of the trillion-plus galaxies out there?

OTOH, it's possible that Mortis itself is some kinda transdimensional thing that isn't really in the GFFA and could just as easily show up in any galaxy... thinking of the ending of the arc here. They spent days in that place, but from the POV of the waiting Star Destroyer, it was about five minutes if that.
  2. Immortiss Force Ghost

star 4
    Perhaps the ST will provide more clarity. Perhaps there is a foreshadowing Lucas conveys in this arc. I need to re-watch and take some notes. These are important and interesting questions you raise. Thanks.
  3. Immortiss Force Ghost

star 4
    I love the analogy. I just want to add. The balance is that in the teaching of good, there must be an understanding of evil. This is the balance in essence. It's existential. The subject (the child) must be aware, conscious of the nature of evil. That in and of itself is balance. The free will to choose on or the other. Sometimes morality can have contradictions. For every good, there is a bad. For every bad and vice versa.

Balance = Stability in consciousness.
    Too Much Light = Instability. Why? Search me.

The only reason I can come up with is an imbalance of the understanding of material or temporal existence. Too much light may blind you from the knowledge of the dark. May create a misunderstanding/misreading of the temporal world. It makes sense in the context of the Jedi during the Phantom Menace. Things were light for so long, it clouded their judgement. Made them make a terrible miscalculation about the facts of the material universe. Ignoring the 'Living Force' over the 'Unifying'...but with this last statement I may be out of my element.

That's the best I can do for you TaradosGon. Excellent questions, few answers to like.
    Last edited by Sean Sinclair, Jul 14, 2013
  4. Hansa Jedi Master

star 1
    I just watched the Mortis trilogy for the first time since it premiered 2 years ago. On first viewing, I wasn't impressed -- it didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Now, 2 years later, I feel different.

I love how it is in the fantasy aspect of the Star Wars franchise, which we don't have too much of. It explored the concept of the Chosen One -- a core theme in the Prequels. The scene where Anakin was subjected to the Son's visions of his future, where he saw himself becoming Darth Vader, is a powerful one. I'm glad they decided to let him forget that.

I also love the ending. It makes me question wether it was real, or an uncontious dream state. It makes us wonder, to question it and interpret it in our own way. Was it real? I like to think it was the Force communicating with them. It wasn't real in a literal sense, but it was real.

And... Sam Witwer's performance as Son doesn't disappoint! As if he ever disappoints...

In my opinion, one of the best story arcs of TCW. My verdict: 7/10.
  5. Darth Valkyrus Force Ghost

star 4
    It kinda reinforced Obi-Wan's reputation as the Incorruptible.

Before the thing was over, the Son had at one point or another turned both Anakin and Ahsoka to the Dark Side with casual ease. In one case a vision of the future = insta-darkside. He actually got Anakin to turn to the Dark Side in order to stop himself turning to the Dark Side, as stupid as that sounds. In the other case, simply a bite sufficed. As compared to Palpatine, one of the most powerful Sith Lords ever, who took a decade of carefully plying and working on Anakin before the time was right. And Anakin already had a ton of fear/anger/rage/stability issues. Ahsoka didn't have any of that, but he turned her in seconds all the same. And it was a true turn, not some sort of Force sockpuppetry - as evidenced by the fact that once turned, she fully embraced the Dark Side, and began with increasing abandon to immerse herself and let hate flow through her, venting rage at her perception that Anakin didn't truly trust her or believe in her, and with obvious sadistic joy declared that she would kill him - specifically "now the student will kill the master" - the one constant of the Sith if ever there was one.

Make no mistake, the Son was monstrous with the Dark Side in a way that no Sith has ever been. Probably not even Nihilus.

But Ben? Nope. No turning him.
    Last edited by Darth Valkyrus, Jul 30, 2013
  6. Mzukiller Jedi Master

star 2
    I truly didn't like being teased about Ahsoka turning evil, because I always considered that a serious option and now it'll never happen. Besides that though it was okay....I wish they had left Revan and Bane in though.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 4
    I always thought Ahsoka going to the dark side for her ultimate fate would be cheap and unlikely, I was cool with seeing a glimpse of her in that mode in Altar of Mortis. Though some of her lines are over-the-top, but Ahsoka was usually like that in her younger days and this was one of the first arcs with her older...plus her mind is ****** at the time.
    Last edited by Dark Lord Tarkas, Aug 2, 2013
  8. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    I always saw Mortis as a fun exploration of GL's ideas. I never took it seriously.

I wonder what happened 2000 years ago (the last time the signal was used)...
  9. Darth_Harmon Force Ghost

star 3
    Just hit the Mortis arc in my chronological rewatch of the series. I've seen it many times before, but I'm really enjoying it after not seeing it for so long. Qui-Gon is just as exciting to see on screen as he was when I first saw the scene.

On the subject of balance, my take on it is that the balance referred to a perfect balance of the Force. Destroying both the Jedi and the Sith was ONE option, but it was not the best option and it was not the only option. The Force could have regained balance had Anakin simply killed Palpatine in Episode III. I'd have to dig up GL interviews to back this up, but I'm pretty sure GL or Filoni stated that the Jedi were not creating a light side imbalance with the Force, nor were they seeking to wipe out the dark side. Qui-Gon (and the OT Yoda and Obi-Wan) had the better view, but the PT Jedi were not to blame for the imbalance.

The issue in the PT was that the Sith were using an unhealthy amount of the Dark side, which caused the imbalance. Had Anakin killed Palpatine in ROTS, he would have regained that balance AND affirmed that Anakin was the chosen one, that Qui-Gon was correct, and it is likely that the Jedi would change their ways of thinking thanks to Anakin's actions and the revelation that Qui-Gon was on the right track. It would probably help that Qui-Gon would commune with Yoda post-death of Palpatine in Episode III and relay his knowledge, but without the victory of the Sith hanging over their heads.

However, instead, Anakin took a different and much more destructive path. He killed nearly ALL the Jedi, causing an even greater shift towards the dark side of the Force, and it took years for him to fix the imbalance he helped expand. I really think the destruction of the Jedi order didn't squelch an overbloated light side, but instead it allowed the dark side to expand.

I took Mortis as an allegory for Episodes 1-6, and the path that Anakin chose to take.

---

A third path, which I've yet to mention, was (I think) Anakin's initial dismissal (in the first episode) of even wanting to be the chosen one. He simply walked away. Had Anakin just straight up left the Jedi order and didn't join Palpatine I think things would have worked themselves out. Palpatine would have likely been taken out after killing the Jedi in his office. Mace might have simply killed him, and if not Mace then Yoda. However, I don't think this is noble path for Anakin, and I don't think it is the best path for the Jedi as it ruins all of Qui-Gon's efforts and any possibility of the other Jedi to take notice of what Qui-Gon believed in terms of the Force and the chosen one prophesy.
    Circular Logic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.