main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mos Eisley Corner

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by fjrsm, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Here it is! My fan forum - http://z15.invisionfree.com/Mos_Eisley_Corner/index.php?act=idx
    I'm the only member but YOU can make a difference.

May the force be with you

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Looks like a decent design so far. However, what can you tell us about your site? How does it set itself apart from other fan sites? :)

3. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    It's a place where moderators and Admins get along with the members. It's like a family. The admins take requests to improve the forum.

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    The same goes with TheForce.Net, and my role-playing site as well. What I'm asking is what makes your general Star Wars discussion site different than the others. Another way of thinking about it would be what can you offer that others don't?

5. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    Hello there,

I applaud the effort that went into designing the forums, and the concept of ranks for the various levels of members are pretty sweet, especially considering you are only 13, and that english is your second language. That said, please allow me to give you some constructive criticism about making a star wars fan site in general. Please take this in the spirit it is given, and not as a personal attack. Just some stuff to think about.

Firstly, no one cares about another forum site that is ONLY or first and foremost a forum. The reality is just that people dont. There are already the TFN forums, the official forums, and a dozen other larger forums and thousands of other smaller forums that already offer pretty much anything anyone could offer in a star wars forum. Unless you can find a really unique new angle that would revolutionize how forums are run all over the internet, I'd say that a forum site just to have a forum site is kind of a dead end.

Now, that isn't to say having a forum is a waste of time, or not worth doing. However, I think a forum is a great page to help support an existing site, not to BE the site in of itself. You call your forum the Mos Eisley Corner. I would be much more interested in seeing a site dedicated TO mos eisley itself. Show a map of Mos Eisley on your main page, give a list of all known citizens, pictures of as many of those citizens as you can find, a summary of the history of the city, maybe even some kind of interactive map, where you can click on certain buildings like docking bay 94 and it brings up a photo from the films along with some info about the infamous docking bay used by the falcon.

Then youd have your forum to support that amazing fan site. People would talk first and foremost about your site on the forum, and in that youd attract a community and of course be able to talk about star wars in general.

Naturally if mos eisley isnt your thing, there are dozens of "source sites" that you could make that would make you a 100% unique site online. You could do a site dedicated to one niche character. Maybe Commander Gree or Bacara from the clone army, or something like that if you have an interest in the clones. Show lots of pics of that character and have a summary about them and all kinds of other information related to them, maybe fan fiction or fan art. Then you can have your forum support that.

All of these types of things will make your website stand out apart from the 1000's of other star wars generic forums out there like what you have currently.

As an example, my star wars site is http://www.fandomcomics.com . On my site we create original star wars fan comic books and RPG material, stuff that isnt particularly common online. Because we are somewhat unique, people are much more likely to visit us and join our forum, because we have other stuff on the site to draw them in.

Anyway, this looks like a great start and I wish you all the success!

Keith "Nar" Kappel
    http://www.fandomcomics.com

6. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    I don't know what my forum has to offer that the others don't... That's the members job to decide :p.
    I've added a place about Maps. I posted some info on Kashyyyk.
    I also added a place to talk about Characters in general. It already has info on the Clone Troopers.
    And there is also a chatroom at the bottom of the page, now.
    Go check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.