main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The most DEVASTATING saber blow ever landed in the PT ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DUGGY, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    The most DEVASTATING saber blow ever landed?

Of course, I am refering to Obi-Wan's masterfully calculated, precise, and beautifully delivered light saber blow that relieves Anakin of his remaining three limbs.

This move is a testament to Obi-Wans's CUNNING ability to get the job done, even in the face of futility and poor odds. It may not have be the flashiest move, like Darth Maul's double bladed theatrics, or Dooku's elegance. But, this swing was vicious, effective; Anakin would NEVER be the same again (obviously).

This fact, however, would later be an asset to Luke, in that a fully-realized Vader would have been impossible to defeat in the OT. Remember the highly limited amount of time Obi-Wan and Yoda have to train Luke.

The bigger question this brings up, however: What PSYCHOLOGICAL impact this would have left on Anakin (Now Darth Vader)? Having been so confident that Obi-Wan "Will try" to stop him, but absolutely sure he would not. After all, Anakin is the "Chosen one", right? Who could stop him? Well, I know one person who did. How could Darth Vader remain confident after getting so solidly beat and spending your life in a suit? Imagine being Anakin, with your limbs cut off, on fire, lying in the sand of Mustafar (You know how he hates that...).
    It would be horrific and have a lasting psychological effect, and definitely not a good one. I would imagine it's possible that this would induce post-traumatic stress disorder, like those who return from war.

Thus, we see Vader's rage. Besides feeding off the dark side, he had to deal with the life-long effects of fighting in the war, slaughtering children - then getting chopped in half by his former master. So, he chokes admirals when they come out of light speed to close to the system. This is also probably why Vader is so quick to take Luke's hand in ESB, because when Vader gets grazed on the shoulder, it likely brought back some painful memories.

Alas, *sigh* If only Anakin DID practice his saber technique as much as his wit, as Obi said, he would have faired better.

But this saber swipe alone is a testament to Obi-Wan's greatness and his massive saber skills. Nick Gillard's ranking of Obi-Wan as an eight is simply incorrect. He is much more powerful than that, and this move demonstrates that. And it earns him a place in the archives of the Jedi Order.

Anyone else agree?

2. Evil_Imp

Evil_Imp Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2005
    good observation, this is without a doubt the single most devastating blow landed by anyone in the SW Saga!. i'm sure it messed with Vaders head, especially when he confronts his old Master again.

3. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh yes, but I am Obi-biased. He is my favorite character. I don't know if his sabre skills are better than the level 8, maybe 8.5. He is calmer and cooler and much more efficient than Anakin. His strike was indeed the most powerful blow, I can think of a Sabre strike however that maybe just as fateful yet of course not as devastating. When Anakin lops off Mace's arm/hand. That was the blow that turned Anakin towards a path he didn't turn away from until ROTJ some 20 years later. Watching the duel you can see Anakin's sloppiness and his overconfidence, he has an arrogant style, which he loses after he is in te suit. He is all business in the OT becoming the "master". I am sure he uses his rage and focuses his anger, from being dismemberd, with the darkside power to help him become more of a threat.

4. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Hey Duggy. Nice thread.

Its funny, I was discussing Obi Wans techniques with my bro earlier. I was saying that there are certain characters that are just quick and look like damned good swordfighters. Then there are people like Kenobi who portray something else in their dueling - style and character.

I think Kenobi oozes with style. McGregor obviously spent a long time thinking how he should use his saber. Im a big fan of the stance he uses with the saber above his shoulder pointed out, two fingers pointed at his enemies.

Anyway...

I think Kenobi's ability to take out Vader was a sign of his ambidextrous style. I think kenobi can adapt to many forms of fighting. He isnt over aggressive. He isnt lightning quick. He isn't elegant. He's a little bit of everything. And that pitted against an overconfident Anakin was just what was needed. If Anakin was patient he may have got the better of Kenobi. However, Kenobi was capable of dealing everything Anakin threw at him.

In terms of Anakin, I think as he did with his acts evil in ROTS, he excused what happened on Mustafa. He ended up believing that he continued to gain more power - when in fact, he wasn't, the Empire was. Vader just saw himself and the Empire as one. He drew of its and the Emperors power. Vader himself was as we know a sad man in a clumsy suit.

5. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    Very good points Shaitan. He does have a cool style. A little bit of all.

6. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Hmm, that's one thing that this topic doesn't touch on. This one amazing saber move is indicative of Ewan McGregor's amazing work with the saber in the PT, particularly in ROTS and TPM. In Attack of the Clones, he's kinda rusty, it seems, but the war sharpens him up. Though I know he gets owned by Dooku, he's has awesome skills with the saber. I know Hayden practiced slightly longer - and it shows, anakin's style is more flashy - Ewan really holds his own in this respect.

It's great to see a topic like this going on the PT boards!

I'm not sure what the pschological damage was to Anakin, but I always assumed he was pretty messed up after what happened.

Reading the thread, though, with the real world concept of PTSD in there, I final REALLY thought about what it would be like in his suit...er...shoes. I mean, I think we just take all of this stuff Anakin goes through for granted, since we know he's Vader. But really think get you body chopped up! That's freaking crazy! No wonder he's so angry!

7. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I agree with everyone else on this post that Obi-Wan landed the most devastating saber blow...
    That said, however, I think the second most devastating blow landed was Count Dooku's severing of Anakin's arm in AOTC. Does anyone else agree? Discuss...

(You may have noticed my signature, by the way...;))

8. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    1. Kenobi against Vader - 3 limbs in one.

2. Anakin against Dooku - Both hands and then his head.

3. Anakin against Mace - Ouch! Anakin swings, Mace swings into it.

4. Obi Wan against Maul - Gave him a break.

5. Dooku against Anakin - Elegant. Powerful. Precise. Devastating.

9. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    I think that is good list Shaitan I would switch 2 and 3 though but otherwise very good!

courtesy of Shaitan halfwits style!

1. Kenobi against Vader - 3 limbs in one.

2. Anakin against Mace - Ouch! Anakin swings, Mace swings into it.

3. Anakin against Dooku - Both hands and then his head.

4. Obi Wan against Maul - Gave him a break.

5. Dooku against Anakin - Elegant. Powerful. Precise. Devastating.

10. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    I'd go along with that half-wit.

That Mace slice was pivotal afterall and was followed by the wrath of Sidious. DEVASTATING.

11. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    i thought somebody would have counted Anakin's first lost limb, by Dooku in there as well. :)

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, nice sig. Clone Wars rock. Tell me something I don't know :p

Anyway, I don't know how pivitol or devastating this blow, is, I mean, it's important, particularly because it's Anakin first lost limb and there's a good parallel with Luke's lost hand. Wait, I think I agree. This one should be in the top five definitely. But in terms of skills, number two has got to be Anakin vs. Dooku part two. In fact, I wrote a thread about that a while back.

13. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005

But this saber swipe alone is a testament to Obi-Wan's greatness and his massive saber skills. Nick Gillard's ranking of Obi-Wan as an eight is simply incorrect. He is much more powerful than that, and this move demonstrates that. And it earns him a place in the archives of the Jedi Order.

Disagree. This is indeed a monumental moment, but it is not a testament too his skill with a lightsaber, rather it is a testatment to his tactics and uncanny strategy.

Going back all the way to TPM Obi-wan has been an above average duelist, but well beneath the likes of Yoda, Dooku, or even Anakin.
    -His victory in TPM was not because he was a better swordsman than maul. On the contrary, he got his ass handed to him and got tossed down a melting pit. But Obi-wan's Keen mind gave him a plan which let him outsmart Maul by taking advantage of his overconfidence. Maul won the fight, but Obi-wan won the war.
    -In ROTS he makes a bold gambit be leaping out in the open and revealing himself to General Grevious. By doing this he ensures that all intention is on him thus allowing the clones to get closser before they are discovered, but even more impressive is that Obi-wan knows that General Grevious's pride will keep him from finishing him off quickly. Obi-wan knows General Grevious just has to handle him himself. And yes, he does handle grevious rather quickly, but lest we forget, Dooku was handling grevious like a toy, which agian goes back to Obi-wan being above average, but not the best.
    -In ROTS, once more, he is constantly being overwhelmed by Anakin, but his mind is constantly looking for solutions which allows him finally to take the high ground over Anakin which gives him the strategic advantage to end it quickly.
    -Finally, in ANH, he does not win the duel with Vader, he simply holds his defense and waits until the moment is right and becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not dissing Obi-wan, i'm just saying his major strengths have never been his saber skills. That said, Mcgreggor swings that sword like no one else can in Episodes II or III. Mace is supposed to be a badass, but SamL looks like a baby next to Mcgregors quick and furious style.
    The only one who I think ever handled a sword better than he did was Liam Neeson. The flowing and serene nature of his style was just astonishing I thought, they way he moved from one kata to the next with grace was amazing.

14. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Where is the thread, by the way, yoshifett? Could you give me a link, perhaps?

I take it back, by the way. I would rank Dooku severing Anakin's arm third after Anakin severing Mace's arm, but rank it just a hair ahead of Anakin decapitating Dooku.
    So, like I said, I take it back: Anakin severing Mace's arm most definitely is the second most devastating blow. I guess I just didn't give it enough thought at first...:p

15. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Disagree. This is indeed a monumental moment, but it is not a testament too his skill with a lightsaber, rather it is a testatment to his tactics and uncanny strategy

well it was strategy as i said, and tactical. but there is no way that it was LUCK o_O ObiWan is very skilled with a Saber . Grievous lost two hands to that fact. ;)

Going back all the way to TPM Obi-wan has been an above average duelist, but well beneath the likes of Yoda, Dooku, or even Anakin.

Beneath Yoda , and Dooku i agree, but Anakin?. no way. Anakin has had a pretty weak showing in the PT . he loses an arm to Dooku. two legs and an arm to who?... ObiWan that's who. As far as Anakin goes we hear more than we see about his great saber skill.

In ROTS, once more, he is constantly being overwhelmed by Anakin, but his mind is constantly looking for solutions which allows him finally to take the high ground over Anakin which gives him the strategic advantage to end it quickly.

agreed, I'll take cool wits and strategy any day . Anakin is a Spazz and has no inner calm. thus he loses. I mean the "Chosen one" uses the same flip over obiwan , Twice in the Duel. once during the LavaSurfing , and then when he get's Ginsu'd. How stupid does he think ObiWan is?. thus reaffirming this as the most Devastating saber blow. :D

-Finally, in ANH, he does not win the duel with Vader, he simply holds his defense and waits until the moment is right and becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Denying Vader again ,what a fitting end for ObiWan . he sacrificed himself to save Luke, and at the same time teach his old Pdawan one final lesson. "You Can't win" [face_laugh] beautiful!.

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, it's ridiculous to attribute this beautiful move to anything but Obi-Wan's skill.

17. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    it takes skill to hit a moving target . ;)

18. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    The most DEVASTATING saber blow ever landed?

Of course, I am refering to Obi-Wan's masterfully calculated, precise, and beautifully delivered light saber blow that relieves Anakin of his remaining three limbs.

Obiwan relieving Maul of half his body isn't too bad either.

this is without a doubt the single most devastating blow landed by anyone in the SW Saga!

Disagree. Vader killing Obiwan on the DS was more devastating. Vader taking Luke's hand on Cloud City which led to the "Luke, I am your father!" revelation was more impactful to the whole Saga and a devastating blow to Luke's psyche.

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    You really think the death of Obi-Wan was worse?

O.K. let's put it in simplier terms.
    Would you rather see your mentor, who you've only known for a bit, die, or get cut up by your mentor, losing your arms and legs in the process. In which situation would you feel more devestation?

Not to mention, if we're talking about effect, if Obi-Wan wouldn't have pulled off this swing there would be no "Darth Vader" in the suit to cut Obi-Wan down in front of Luke. Not to mention that if he didn't cut Anakin there, he would have been done. Anakin was going for an all or nothing move. So the would have been no Obi-Wan to train luck and thus no battle on the Death Star.

20. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005

Beneath Yoda , and Dooku i agree, but Anakin?. no way. Anakin has had a pretty weak showing in the PT . he loses an arm to Dooku. two legs and an arm to who?... ObiWan that's who. As far as Anakin goes we hear more than we see about his great saber skill.

Don't forget that Anakin kicked Dooku's arse in ROTS. Not only that, but he also held his own in AOTC prior to being smacked, which even Obi-wan Couldn't do. Obi-wan didn't loose any limbs, but he did come out with some serious scares to show for it. Between the two, I'd say Obi-wan got punked more than Anakin, Dooku wasn't even making an effort while Obi-wan was about ready to pop a muscle it looked. Anakin at least made Dooku pop a sweat or two.
    Then, watching the ROTS duel, Obi-wan keeps getting his face kicked, literally, by Anakin. He compensates, true, but he's still getting pushed back over and over. Anakin was certainly not toying with him, but it was clear to me that he had the upper hand throughout the fight, up until the high ground bit.

I agree with you, that this is the most devastating saber blow in any of the films. But my issue is attributing it solely Obi-wan's skill with a lightsaber. And understand, i'm saying that out of respect for Obi-wan, out of admiration. I think that by attributing his victories to his saber skill is undermining his true assets: his wit, his cunningness, his guile, and his outright boldness.

21. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    Well Darth Maul's death by Obi Wan was so-so. Since Maul just looked at Obi Wan in surprise and didn't do anything. Obi Wan's hit to Anakin in ROTS was the best i mean chopping both his arms and his leg was devastating!

22. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I think you need to define "DEVASTATING" here.

If Devastating means for the recipient - I think that a saber blow resulting in Death would be more devastating than one resulting in mutilation - if you are on the receiving end.

I am hesitant to rank the above mentioned saber strikes as each has their own unique qualities:

Kenobi's blow against Vader on Mustafar was one that he had to take. Vader jumped over him and Obi Wan really had an easy shot in mutilating Vader. Devastating - absolutely. I'm sure Vader had extreme emotional problems for the remainder of his life over his poor choice(s) - this arrogant leap being only the last of them.

Anakin's removal of Dooku's hands was skillful and powerful. Also devastating. His beheading him was a weakness. A devastating blow to Dooku of course.

Dooku's severing of Anakin's arm was pure control of the saber. Artful. This act created much anger for Dooku in Anakin and probably had a devastating effect on Anakin's ability to control his anger when he faced Dooku the second time.

Darth Maul's strike against Qui Gon Jinn was a very devastating blow against the Republic and Anakin in particular.

Subsequently, Obi Wan's bisection of Darth Maul had devastating consequeces in a variety of directions. Obviously, Maul was most directly affected. :p But so was the Republic. Had Maul survived, Sidious would not have been seeking a Jedi to recruit as his new Apprentice, consequently there would have been a whole host of other problems and situations presented. (The first of which would have been that Obi Wan probably would not have survived that encounter.) But, Anakin might have been allowed to be the "Chosen One" without interference. Hmmm... Oh well, no need to speculate on that kind of "what if..." Of course I think it was important for Maul to die in TPM for Obi Wan's progression to Jedi Knight, etc.... Obi Wan won here because of patience and out thinking his opponent. (A strategy that worked well for him throughout the Saga.)

The most Devastating saber blow for the REPUBLIC was the blow Anakin struck against Mace. The consequences of that decision are evident.

As far as Darth Vader's swipe at Kenobi in the OT, this is a non issue. Kenobi turns off his saber and transforms into the Force before Vader's saber reaches him. He is teaching both Vader and Luke a lesson.

Another OT saber strike, Vader's taking Luke's hand on Cloud City could have been devastating, but was ultimately motivating for Luke.

23. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    The most DEVASTATING saber blow ever landed in the PT ?

*bows*

Outstanding thread material Master Duggy..........I sense your powers are reaching their heights.

Obi-Wan's strike against Anakin Skywalker on Mustafar is the most precise lightsaber blow delivered in the PT........is it the most DEVASTATING? Hmmmmmmm thats why we're here folks....so lets take a look from several angles.

TPM

Qui Gon Jinn falls to Darth Maul after a clever smash to the face followed by a clean lightsaber strike into the heart.......thus eliminating Anakin from QGJ's expert and wise teachings and ultimately playing some role in his eventual fall to the Darkside of the Force. QGJ mentored Obi Wan Kenobi into one of the finest examples the modern Jedi ever produced. Considering Kenobi's lack of mentoring experience and his own reckless nature.....its more than fair to say that the "Chosen One" would have been better served with a more experienced mentor.....especially Master QGJ.

Devastating effect: 10 out of 10

AOTC

Count Dooku elegantly outduels both Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker inside a hanger bay. Dooku wounds Anakin with Sith lightning keeping him down long enough to give Kenobi a proper lesson in the finer points of a lightsaber duel. Before Dooku can finish an already wounded Kenobi....Skywalker springs in and picks up the duel in stride. Dooku outclasses Anakin completely cutting his arm off more than halfway up as a reminder. This changes Anakin's focus as a Jedi and he re-dedicates himself to the art of the lightsaber....and by using his supernatural midichlorian base as a modifier.....he quickly leaps an unheard of two levels in the short time from AOTC to ROTS.

Devastating effect: 8 out of 10

AOTC

A then Padawan Anakin Skywalker discovers his dreams about his Mother's suffering were indeed correct. He then makes up his mind to willfully embrace the Darkside of the Force and use his lightsaber to strike down the Sandpeople entirely.....including the women and the children. This unhonorable selfish act of disobediance towards the Jedi is a preview of much to come. This also establishes that Anakin's moral system is questionable......something not associated with the Jedi Order.

Devastating effect: 8 out of 10

ROTS

In the Rematch......Count Dooku again easily outclasses Master Jedi Kenobi in their portion of the duel nearly killing him this time. But, Anakin is not the same fighter as before......he takes the offensive in the contest driving Dooku back before easily using his strength to parry an overhead strike into a close quarter inverted inside lightsaber lock......and from there its elementary as Anakin quickly flips the inside lightsaber lock out and up....taking both of Dooku's hands in the process....and flipping Dooku's lightsaber into the air for Anakin to grab. This makes a strong case as the most difficult lightsaber manuever ever attempted and completed in the entire Saga considering Count Dooku's strength at the time.
    Anakin follows this brilliant Lightside display of dominance by once again giving in to the Darkside and beheading a helpless captive Dooku. This singular course of action.....unknown to Anakin.....puts him front and center to replace Dooku as Darth Sidious' apprentice. This act also triggers the dreams of Padme's death as a warning of what would happen if Anakin chose to betray his destiny.

Devastating effect: 10 out of 10

ROTS

Anakin walks in on a scene he played a major part in setting up himself........Master Jedi Mace Windu standing over a defeated but deadly Darth Sidious. Sidious plays the weak card for Anakin's unstable emotions to boil over whilst using semi-deadly Sith lightning to change Windu's noble mind from arrest to kill. Master Windu finally submits knowing that Sidious is too powerful to be taken alive as a prisoner and that the Sith must not remain in power. Anakin's greed for possession of Padme has already sealed Mace's fate. When Mace pulls back to deliver the

24. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Excellent as always Master C76 =D= , that was a spot on assessment. I especially like this part:

Anakin sensing the desparation in Kenobi tries to leap over him instead of a wiser side assault and the result is a perfect half circle controlled lightsaber cut that takes Anakin's lightsaber arm as well as his two legs up to the thighs. This is one of the cleanest and most precise cuts in the Saga.....and IMO demonstrates considerable skill as a disarming manuever. The result is that Anakin is stopped in his tracks from ever being the most powerful force user ever and is delegated to apprentice status for the remainder of his life.

it is very precise , exhibiting great skill and timing. ;) and since this move prevents Vader from ever reaching his full potential , it could be argued that this is indeed the most Devastating blow landed in the PT , or the Saga for that matter. Luke would likely not be able to withstand a fully realized Darth Vader in the OT. so Wiley old ObiWan's quick thinking paid off .

Edit: I agree with YoshiFett. nothing can be more devastating than being condemed for the rest of your life as a Torso/Cyborg .

25. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Very awesome Commander.

If Devastating means for the recipient - I think that a saber blow resulting in Death would be more devastating than one resulting in mutilation - if you are on the receiving end.

I disagree here:
    The saber strikes that lead to death, in my opinion, don't have as much impact on the saga because the character doesn't live on with the effects of the move. Example: Maul. Very impressive on Obi-Wan's part, but after that, no more Maul.

However, when we are talking about Obi-Wan and Anakin, not only was there a severe psychological component, this was also the reason we have Darth Vader as we know him; the guy in the suit. I mean, it's about as integral to the series as I can possibly imagine.

Obi-Wan condemns Anakin to a life in a walking iron-lung and a life-time of regret. He'll never reach his full potential as a force user because of this swipe.

Plus, just from an aesthetic point of view, it was such a beautifully executed move. It really shows Obi-Wan's saber skills. You have to watch it in slow-mo to really appreciate how sublime it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.