main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The most dominant athlete in the world today is not Lebron James, Michael Phelps, or Jordan Spieth

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It's Katie mother****in' Ledecky...

[​IMG]

At the Worlds championships in Kazan, Russia, which is considered the tune-up to Rio next year, she has dominated in freestyle events ranging from the 200 to the 1500, with nifty world records in the 800 and 1500. In the latter, she broke the WR by accident in a prelim, and then went on to beat her brand new record in the final. And just today, she lowered the 800 meter freestyle world record to 8:07, by nearly four seconds over her old record from last year, and in so doing became the first woman to go under 8:10 in this event. She is just 18 years old.

I know some of you are probably going "okay, why did you post this," but I've tagged it under "Arena" so it should be of at least some interest to people who consider themselves interested in sports. I also think people in general should just know about this all-around otherworldly athlete a little more, because she gets nowhere near the amount of attention she actually deserves.

On a sidenote, Michael Phelps is at U.S. Nationals this week in San Antonio, instead of in Kazan, due to his USA Swimming-mandated punishment for his DUI last year, but he looks like he's about to have his best meet since Beijing or Rome. Last night, he posted the world's fastest time in the 200 fly this year, a time that would've beat the champion in this event (Laszlo Cseh) at Worlds, and also a time that is only the third fastest ever. He is 30 years old (incidentally, so is Cseh).

Juliet316 , Jabbadabbado and Bob Crow like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Abby Wambach.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Phil "The Power" Taylor.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's probably the nail polish.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You forgot to list Lionel Messi in your thread title.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Watched Ledecky swim the 800 m today. It's rare to see a swimmer dominate an event so thoroughly, maybe not so rare for the 800 and 1500, but beating your own world record by 4 seconds still seems huge. Except in the 200 m she's really only racing herself at this point.

Also the mixed 4x100 relay was a hoot. Fantastic effort from Missy Franklin to take the lead in the final 10 meters for a world record.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    While I do think Ronda Rousy's the most dominant athlete around right now; as somebody who once had fantasies of swimming in the Olympics as a little girl, it's nice to see a very positive post about swimming, especially by a young woman in such a powerful manner.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Coruscant is a young woman?

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Not unless there's something Cor's been keeping from us.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    **** MMA. Although I'm not into sports generally, I have a special contempt for those where the object is to beat the **** out of another person until the referee calls it, they give up, or they succumb to serious brain injury. For our entertainment.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    She wouldn't be the first.