main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The most dramatic musical moment in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DARTH_CHINA, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    If a thread like this already exists, sorry then.

One of the many things I really like about SW are the dramatic moments with the very appropriate music.

The most dramatic musical moment is Qui-Gon's death for me. That wonderful orchestral "explosion" after Qui has been stabbed by Maul had such a great impact on me after my first TPM viewing. And it still does.

There are many wonderful dramatic musical moments, but that's my fav. till now (Eps.III has the potential to be n°1).

So, what are your fav. moments?

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    i think that the tension built up by the music before qui-gon's death is superb.

of course, the musical moment of the series has to be "I am your father" *imperial march*

3. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I think that it would have to be when Luke is hanging off Could City contacting Leia through the force,what a powerfull rendition of the force theme.

A close runner up would be The Emperors Death.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I agree with Darth_China about the Qui-Gon-Gets-Stabbed-Theme ( :p). Qui-Gon's Noble End is one of my favs from the first TPM album.

Would The Dark Side Beckons count as dramatic music? ;)
    If so, then the winner is clear :D

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Yes, TLJ, I would say that The Dark Side Beckons is the most dramatic musical moment of the saga.

TPM: The hanger doors open to reveal Darth Maul.

AOTC: "Dawn of the Empire"; maybe Anakin's Search ("Binary Sunset"/DOTF).

ANH: Luke switches off his targeting computer in The Battle of Yavin; maybe Ben's Death.

ESB: Rescue From Cloud City as Luke calls out to Leia.

ROTJ: The Emperor Arrives is good as well.

:)

6. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The Dark Side Beckons, of course. I love that piece to death, and I get shivers every time I hear it. :D My other favourite dramatical moment is when Luke contacts Leia in Escape from Cloud City - the wonderful swelling Force theme combined with the beautiful shot of Leia make it one of my favourite moments in ESB.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    TPM: Qui-Gon's funeral
    AOTC: Shmi's funeral
    ANH: Obi-Wan's sacrifice/death
    TESB: Vader reveals he is Luke's father
    ROTJ: Vader and Luke's final duel

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The Phantom Menace: Wide shot of Theed generator room when camera pans down and DOTF kicks into KORAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Qui-Gon's Noble End.

Attack of the Clones: the Force theme as Anakin goes to search for his mother, Shmi's death, the Confession scene and the Dawn of the Empire. (lots of drama in AOTC)

A New Hope: Binary Sunset, Burning Homestead

The Empire Strikes Back: Yoda and the Force, Vader's Revelation

Return of the Jedi: The Dark Side Beckons, Victory Celebration

9. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Ahhh I forgot the Tusken Slaughter/Confession.The stiring strings right as Shmi dies and Anakin looks up at the camera with rage in his eyes and then the Emperors Theme and Imperial March during the confession.

10. Na Wibo

Na Wibo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    I must agree with strilo about the particular use of DotF over the catwalk. That floored me the first time. The weird thing is, it seems to have been unintentional on JW's part. What makes it work for me is the way it cuts in from the quieter part of DotF that comes just before it (as Padme etc are nearing the throne room).

My other favorite is in ESB: the Force theme played over the Hoth troops retreating from the AT-ATs, flowing into the Rebel fanfare as Luke tosses the grenade. It's great.

11. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The Battle of Hoth has many dramatic moments. The combination of the main theme/Force theme after Imperial troops enter the base and the Rebels begin retreat is great.

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    when anikan departs on the swoop bike in AOTC

and definately when Vader is cremated

13. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    TPM: When the doors are opened and Darth Maul appears, just before the duel (the beginning of ''Qui Gon's Noble End'' track of the OST)

AOTC: Love Pledge (first two minutes of of track 12)

ANH: Ben Kenobi's Death

TESB: The Asteroid Field

ROTJ: The Emperor Arrives, Dark Side Beckons, Funeral Pyre for a Jedi

14. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    I would have to agree that Vader's funeral pyre is one of the most dramatic musical moments, along with Qui-Gon's death and funeral, Obi-Wan's sacraficial death and of course, Luke dangling from Cloud City. I don't know, there is just something about death and suffering that brings out the more "powerful" emotions.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Ooooh Love Pledge yes that is a GOOD one...

:)

16. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Here's my complete list:

TPM: Qui-Gon's death + "Anakin is free"

AOTC: Anakin bringing Shmi back home + Confession scene + Shmi's funeral

ANH: Obi-Wan's death

ESB: Yoda lefting the X-wing out of the swamp + Luke contacting Leia through the force

ROTJ: Anakin's funeral pyre + Palpatine's death

17. TK421_DoUCopy

TK421_DoUCopy Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    Binary Sunset - ANH

Leia's News - ROTJ

18. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    EpisodeI: Dual of the Fates when they were fighting on the catwalks.
    EpisodeII: The "I killed them all..." Scene
    A New Hope: The Throne room and end celibration.
    The Empire Strikes back: The Imperial March when they first show Darth Vader
    Return of the Jedi: When Luke and Vader enter the Emperor's throne room or the end of the lightsaber dual right after Luke says "Neverrr!"

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    TPM: Maul's appearance before the Jedi and our heroes. Nice little buildup and a big boom. :)

AOTC: Dawn Of The Empire.

Ep. III- I have no idea, of course. :p

ANH- Obi-Wan's death.

TESB: "I am your father."

ROTJ: Dark Side Beckons, The Emperor Arrives, Vader's funeral.

20. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Alternate Light of the Force (Vader's Pyre)

That cue was so emotional, so dramatic, I cannot help but smile with pride when I hear it. It's a real shame they could not find SOMEWHERE to put it in any movie.

21. LordOfTetris

LordOfTetris Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    My favorite moment in the entire Star Wars saga is in the Empire Strikes Back, when Darth Vader is staring at the Imperial fleet, and you hear the Imperial March for the first time.

When I see it, I think, "That little kid dude from TPM finally got his wish to command a fleet. And a cool theme song."

22. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    i think one of the most dramatic is the ROTJ final duel. it is very symbolic and powerful.

Also when the force theme is played when luke is watching the sunset/when anakin is hugging padme in the afternoon sun. i think the parallel is great

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I hope you don't mind if I respond in a slightly different way the topic suggests...but since I find it so hard to narrow my love of the SW music down to just one or two instances per film, I'm going to list my personal favourite moments from each of the tracks on the AOTC soundtrack. You can tell I'd have trouble narrowing it down from this :D
    I just love all the music so much.

2:20-2:55 Track 1 Main Title & Ambush on Coruscant
    The Mystery Theme (I believe), spooky and dramatic as the Queen's ship descends through the clouds of Coruscant.

4:27-5:33 Track 2 Across The Stars
    When the theme drops back down into the harp version (reminding me more than ever of Greensleaves) then soothingly finishes off the piece.

2:18-2:57 Track 3 Zam Assassin & Chase Through Coruscant
    The pounding beat of the drums as Zam gets a bead on Obi-Wan, then back into the surging rush of the traffic, soaring up into a quick tempo with a clash of cymbals and a burst of trumpets.

1:17-1:37 Track 4 Yoda And The Younglings
    Yoda's theme. Always a winner, and played in such an innocent, gentle way

:50-1:02 Track 5 Departing Coruscant
    The Force theme briefly emerges

:17-:47 Track 6 Anakin And Padme
    Flute and tinkling notes accompany Anakin's rather sweet attempt to wow Padme with his Force abilities.

2:47-3:08 Track 7 Jango's Escape
    Whirling violins and trumpts signal the end of the Obi-Wan/Jango duel, and then drop down into a very Middle Eastern style tune for Anakin and Padme arriving at Tattooine.

1:37-1:56 Track 8 The Meadow Picnic
    The most up-beat version of Across The Stars on the whole soundtrack, it picks you up and pulls you into the flow with those beautiful violins and sparkling xylophone notes.

2:45-3:12 Track 9 Bounty Hunter's Pursuit
    The awesomely big, evil build-up to the Trade Federation's March, all military drum-beats and blasting trumpets.

2:49-4:09 Track 10 Return To Tatooine
    After a mysterious build-up, Binary Sunset and Duel of the Fates collide as Anakin heads off to find his mother. Powerful and driving.

2:04-3:40 Track 11 The Tusken Camp & The Homestead
    Sad descending strings accompany Shmi as she dies, then the oboe and violins gather pace before the Psycho-esque violins shriek out and Anakin takes a big step into the Dark Side. Cellos rumble as the music swirls around before giving us a taste of the Imperial March.

1:03-1:52 Track 12 Love Pledge & The Arena
    Flute and harpsichord (yes?) pick out the start of the Across The Stars, then it rushes into a massive version of the theme that always reminds me of those old silent movies, with Rudolph Valentino sweeping some desert temptress up onto his camel, heh.

:00-10:44 Track 13 Confrontation With Count Dooku & Finale
    C'mon, it has to be the whole thing. Eerie choral work, a surging Force theme, Dawn of the Empire brilliantly segueing into Across The Stars and then bursting into the end credits, it's the best sustained track on the entire soundtrack.

Right then...that's my opinion :) I'd have to pick about a dozen favourite moments in AOTC, then, so it'd take a while to do the same for all 5 films!

24. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    2:20-2:55 Track 1 Main Title & Ambush on Coruscant
    The Mystery Theme (I believe), spooky and dramatic as the Queen's ship descends through the clouds of Coruscant.

That whole cue after the Main Theme fades away is superb, but I think it's related to Kamino and not Coruscant. The CD track is mislabelled. Or is it a case of a small cue that indeed is in the real Ambush at Coruscant cue being edited into the CD version of the Kamino Landing? Can you clarify this?

that always reminds me of those old silent movies, with Rudolph Valentino sweeping some desert temptress up onto his camel, heh.

Unlucky you ;) What this track does NOT bring to my mind is some old cheesy films nobody remembers (almost...)

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Damon, your post would be more appropriate in a thread that discusses favorite tracks or cues, like this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.