main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Most Important Moment In The Film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Argalin, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    So I wanted to discuss Han's death at the hands of his son. This is without a doubt the most important moment of The Force Awakens, as it should be. It motivates much of what happens for the remainder of the film, ratchets up the tension and emotions, and will no doubt have lasting ripple effects on what is to come.

But aside from all of that, I believe it is also the most important moment of the film because of what it has done to our film canon and remembrance of one of the most iconic characters in film history.
    It was an extremely risky and bold choice to kill off this character. It hit me as I discussed this with my wife after our first viewing last night. Han Solo is now dead. Like sure, we could all imagine that after RotJ ended that one day he would grow old and die, but how many of us really thought that way? Han Solo is dead. He will now forever be remembered as having died at the hands of his own son. While he will always live on in film history, he will also always live on as being a character that died.

That to me is striking and also has been an odd feeling to deal with. When we return to watch the original trilogy we won't be able to help but think of how this character is going to die in a few films. We won't be able to view his growing relationship with Leia without knowing that they one day birth his killer. This is powerful stuff and I'm not sure if I like it or not, but it is certainly thought provoking.

How did Han Solo's death impact you? Will it impact your viewings of the other films? Did you find that the death was handled well?

2. LordTimCahill

LordTimCahill Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    I teared up. It was was definitely one of the best and emotional scenes in the entire saga.

Han yelling "BEN!" was when my stomach just plummeted and i started to tear up.

Then i thought Han had actually did it and got through to Ben.

And then just ****....

****ing Kylo.

jc1138, SlashMan, Sgt. Carver and 6 others like this.
  3. Dobradoompa

Dobradoompa Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I hated that he died, but I like that he did so trying to save his son.

And it was great to see him his usual self before that, still up to his old tricks, he and chewie pulling a few credits with that rathtar racket etc. :)

Redimet, Dak Oolron and Echo7even like this.
  4. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    I teared up, man Leia why do you have to try to be this trilogy's Luke? Now Han is dead...just like ford wanted since the beginning. It felt kind of out of place, but still really emotional. They really dropped the ball with it chewy wise. You see a sad leia twice and all chewie does is scream. He should have RIPPED OFF the arms of stormtroopers! We should have saw Wookie rage, it kind of felt like Rey was the only one who gave a rat's ass. Had any real emotion to it.

IDK it kinda felt to much like a movie scene. Here's his son you've never seen kill him. And adam driver with the mask off, very unintimidating. He sounded weird in the scene. Like he was trying to sound bad.

5. Dobradoompa

Dec 17, 2015

Huh?! Chewie went crazy, shot every trooper in sight! Love that he hit Ren.

6. Argalin

Dec 18, 2015
    I felt that Chewie did have a pretty good reaction. I wonder if he tore the arms off of a Stromtrooper if this film would've earned an "R" rating, lol. I would still love to see that.

I wonder if Chewie has now transferred his life debt to Rey...

Dobradoompa likes this.
  7. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Still love Rey forcing the saber from the snow with the Force theme in the background. Goosebumps

8. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    He shot a few soldiers, but it was quick and rather vague about why he does it. We need to see rage, not just him killing people he was there to kill already the same way he would have done if Han was alive. How I would have done it-

Chewie roars in rage! Slams his foot or hand to the floor or wall, and starts tearing people's arms off. More come from farther away he keeps shooting em down quickly, then a whole lot come and in a fit of rage THEN he destroys them with the detonator in a fit of rage. After a mighty roar.

It feels like everyone got over his death too fast IMO.

9. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Your opening post certainly reflects the similar conflicted feelings and thought's I've had in the last 24-36 hours since I saw it.

Siting here at work today my mind randomly jumped to Chewie's reaction, just think about it for minute. Although we haven't seen it, as Han's (and latterly Leia's) lifelong friend, companion, buddy, he would have seen Ben grow up from baby to boy to adolescent, think how many times he would played, hugged, had his hair ruffled by that boy, and then...to see that boy kill his own father, his friend ...argghhhh!!!!!

Darth Downunder likes this.
  10. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I loved that Han died in this movie. He is a great character but it was time. I am hoping Leia retires before the next one. Luke can serve in the background mentor role like Yoda.

JediRocks74 likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Me too. For a few seconds I actually thought the Mystery Box had a super secret compartment.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  12. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Chewie's reaction was the only reaction that I thought made sense. But even his was underplayed.

ami-padme likes this.
  13. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    "He is a great character but it was time. "

For you. Would you kill Indy as well? Bond? Tarzan? Flash Gordon?

By doing this, they've damaged the OT far more than Lucas with his silly tweaks ever did. Luke dying (whilst also horrible and likely to happen in the next film) actually makes more narrative sense. The circle of the Force, the student becomes the mentor etc.

Han is just a kick in the nuts by the producers. I don't "hate" Kylo for it. I hate Disney for it. That is a big mistake to make.

14. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    I thought the scene was set up pretty well. Kylo is supposed to sound vulnerable there; his struggle with the Light, an interesting concept in itself that turns the rest of the saga on its head, had already been established. Han's death was well staged, no dying utterances, and I think they dodged a bullet by not having Chewie throw a fit, which could have ended up cheesy and mockable.

I've seen some criticisms that Han wasn't mourned. I don't get it. We have depressed Chewie, Leia, and droid moments back at the base. And Han, of all people, wouldn't have wanted a memorial service or any he-was-a-great-man speeches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Also perhaps one element of Luke's anguished look was him still mourning Han. No doubt at all that he sensed it as Leia did.
    I don't agree. Everyone dies. Han lived to about 70 years old, mostly doing what he loves. That's pretty good. Also we may find that his death was not in vain. Maybe it eventually plays a part in bringing his son back to the light.

16. Argalin

Dec 18, 2015
    This is what I'm most looking forward to seeing. How Han's death impacts Kylo. He already seemed so conflicted, how can killing his own father NOT haunt him?

17. Dobradoompa

Dec 17, 2015

He did roar. Thought his reaction was spot on. Shooting Ren was excellent. Have to wonder if he held off following through with more shots owing to his being Han's offspring or honoring what Han would have wanted? Who knows. Anyway, go Chewbacca! Don't need to see him gratuitously ripping arms out of sockets to know that he can. :D

18. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I just can't believe cheque wasn't wearing pants in the film. I've been waiting 3 years for this film and still the wookiee is pantless

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    The best moment, if you can the best, was Han touching Ben's face ... almost as if saying "I still love you son and I forgive you".

20. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    We know he can, it's the thing of he should. He roared a normal roar. It should have been more is all.

21. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I think was a great narrative choice, for a few reasons:

- I get the impression that Han was a bit of an absentee husband and father, which makes perfect sense given his character. Maybe we all expected Han to be 'domesticated' at the end of ROTJ, settling down for a stable home life or something. But, c'mon, we all know that's not Han's character. Han and Leia had a son (who is shuttled off to his uncle at some point), Han starts getting bored while Leia is busy leading in the New Republic and he's off.

- Han serves as the mentor/guide in TFA, which is not the character that one would immediately expect to fill that role. I'm assuming Luke will be the wise sage of Ep. VIII. Even though we don't know anything about what will happen next, I can't think of a good direction for Han's character beyond his role in TFA. I'm much happier with this turn of events than seeing Han being a grumpy old man on the sidelines, increasingly marginalized as the new characters do their thing.

- This is what is driving the narrative for the next two movies. There wasn't much time after Han's death and so we don't really see the fall out from Kylo's actions. I'm thinking that a good bit of Ep. VIII will be dealing with precisely this issue - how will Chewie adapt? How will Luke and Leia respond? And how do Finn and Rey think/talk about Han moving forward? Where does this action take Kylo Ren? If Han had not died, what would propel the narrative forward - the idea that the villains might do something bad?

And, fwiw, I think that Chewie's reaction was absolutely appropriate (are we really complaining about this? That's some serious nit-picking, right there). Besides, there wasn't much time to sit and grieve - troopers had to be shot, charges had to be set off, and escapes had to be made.

22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    He did shoot Kylo Ren & a bunch of stormtroopers & then blew the place up. That's not bad.

Ghost, Poor Greedo, Redimet and 3 others like this.
  23. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    When he screamed BEN! I got chills and I think my breath just stopped for entire scene.. I kinda felt that it will be his end..

But I agree with many people who stated this here, that his body should have been left on that bridge.. not falling down the vent shaft...

24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Some people were not sure about the upcoming young Han Solo anthology film. His death will now change their minds and make them yearn for it.

25. Dobradoompa

Dec 17, 2015

:rolleyes: Yeah? Try telling that to Chewie. I felt his pain. Give the wookiee a break! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.