The Most Important Sabre Blow

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I saw this over on The Outer-Rim Sieges Board and I though it was interesting and worthy of posting here, as it covers the whole Saga. So, I'm curious which single lightsaber blow do you think has has the greatest impact over all? Personally I can't narrow it down to a single one, but I feel that there are three that view for this title.

The first is Obi-wan cutting Maul in half. With a single stroke of his blade Obi-wan killed Sidious's apprentice and set in motion the chain of events that would lead to the fall of Anakin Skywalker.

The second is Obi-wan cutting off Anakin's left arm and both of his legs.Again with a single stroke, Obi-wan destroyed the good person known as Anakin and created the monster known as Darth Vader.

The third is Vader cutting Obi-wan in half on the Death Star. Vader thinks that he has killed Obi-wan, but Obi-wan gets the last laugh and disappers. When that happen and Vader sees Obi-wan's empty robes lying on the deck, I believe that he realizes that Palaptine has been talking **** for the past 20 years and the seed of doubt has been planted in Vader's mind.

So, what do you think is the single most important sabre blow in the Saga?
  2. darth_ral Jedi Master

star 1
    what about anakin cutting off maces hand? that gets the ball rolling...
  3. Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Master

star 4
    You can't forget about Anakin beheading Count Dooku in cold blood. That pretty much sets into motion Anakin's journey down the dark path.

"After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin become [Palpatine's] new apprentice!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
  4. darth_da Force Ghost

star 1
    How about Dooku cutting off Anakins hand. This may have lead to Anakin wanting more power so he wouldnt fail again.

Or, Anakin attacking the sand people with his lightsaber, his first taste (in the films at least) of the dark side.
  5. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Dooku slicing Anakin's hand made Anakin angry and gave him more power.

Anakin cutting off Dooku's head drove him towards the darkside and more power.

Anakin cutting of Mace's hand put him firmly in the darkside camp, making him even more powerful.

Vader cutting down Obi-wan did not make Vader more powerful - he instead made his fallen foe "More powerful than he could possible imagine."

The Rise of the Dark Side that had started before the opening scroll of TPM had been turned around at this moment. Darkness built and built and built untill there was no senate even in name, and planets were being destroyed with one simple laser blast. Onscreen, the Empire did not score a single resounding victory after that moment. The best they did was get Echo base to evacuate.

Carnage
  6. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I never said it did. I said it planted the seeds of doubt because Vader realizes that Palpatine was NEVER going to help learn how to create life.
  7. Master_Aurelius Jedi Padawan

We can debate which events set things in motion but, without a doubt the Saber Blow cutting off Mace Windu's hand was the Most Important to the entire saga. It was the most important because it was the blow that decided that Anakin would also destroy the Jedi before he brought balance to the force. It changed the course of the galaxy, plain and simple.
  8. tomkat364 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I vote for maul gutting qui-gon. Otherwise anakin would have had a more experienced, open minded and fatherly master. Not that obi-wan blew it, but he was young, inexperienced, and more of a brother than a father. Oh, and obi-wan uses two strokes to disarm anakin, the firs is a vertical barely perceivable stroke that takes off the arm looped into a horizontal strike for the legs. Watch it in slow mo or watch the "chosen one" featurette to see Lucas explain the action to Gillard just before asking hayden if he wants to have a stunt man slide down the slope for him.
  9. Ceethreepio Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    When Dooku cut off Anakin's arm, that is when Anakin started to lose his humanity.
  10. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd say it's either when Mace's hand being removed, Anakin being de-limbed, or Luke cutting off Vader's hand. If Luke hadn't removed Anakin's hand, he may not have seen that he was "becoming the very thing he swore to destroy" and thrown away his saber. If Luke had killed Vader, Sidious would have had an apprentice with Anakin's original potential.
  11. darth_Boba Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the most important blow in the saga is the one that wasn't made. I'm talking about when Palpatine revealed himself to be a Sith Lord to Anakin in ROTS. He could have, should have, ended it there but he didn't. And that was really where there was no turning back. Anakin was the only one able to destroy Sidious, and his choice cost the Galaxy twenty years of Sith rule.
  12. Sir_Loin Jedi Padawan

I have to agree with Tomkat..it was Maul's stabbing of Qui-gon. Taking him out of the picture greatly altered both Anakin's and Obi-Wan's future (because of taking Anakin on).

If he had survived it is entirely possible Qui-gon couldve left the Jedi Order and trainned Anakin elsewhere (he seemed to feel that strongly about him), and I think that Yoda only reluctantly agreed to santioning Anakin's trainning by Obi-Wan possibly out of some sort of homage to the memory of Qui-gon.
  13. DUGGY Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Well since this is my Topic from The outerRimSeiges....See link in sig :p you can find this topic and many more great topics if you follow the Yellow brick road ;)

I think it is the Crippling Blow landed by ObiWan on Anakin on Mustafar. that one blow cut short a lot of his incredible potential, and may have been the thing that made it possible for barely trained Luke to later be able to deafeat Vader. cause a Fully realized Anakin would be unstoppable by Luke. and the Sith would IMO never be defeated.

14. obiwankoti Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Good one Duggy!!

this is not one of the greates blows, but it's perhaps my Fav example of lightsaber Power. it's the scene in TPM on the Trade Federation battleship when QuiGon stabs his Saber into the Blast door and twists and turns it , melting the Door. that was a awesome display of Lightsaber power. i never thought we would see a Saber do that, till then.

15. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    The Most Important Sabre Blow

:rolleyes:

OMG.

Chancellor, Why dont you just ride the Duggy Buggy all the way back to the Outer Rim where we're discussing this at.;)

16. Franchise469 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey all, I've been a surfer on the boards for a long time, and finally decided to take the plunge. Be gentle on the flames...I'm new at this...[face_worried]

I'm surprised no one has posted this one yet...

The most important sabre blow has to be Vader cutting off Luke's hand at the end of ESB. It was what led Luke to realize he was on the same path as his father. He did not want to end up more machine than man, so he whooped some sith tail, saved his father, and paid his support check for his secret Ewok love child...all in time for the ending credits!!!
  17. Master_Shaitan Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Superb points Franchise469. Im sure you wont be flamed here.

I liked the saber blow Maul deal Qui Gon in the OUTER RIM planet of Tatooine as he jumped of he speeder bike and laid siege to the Jedi.

So, Franchise, glad to have you here with us at TF.net. Wink Wink.
  18. Franchise469 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for the kind words Chancellor,

More and more of these sabre moments keep running through my mind.

What about Han using the sabre in order to get body heat for Luke in ESB? Though I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "blow", it was the first time that a non-force user used a sabre. Not only that, but had Han not used it, Luke would have died. A character who saves a Hero is a Hero.
  19. Sidious_T Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Dug, what happened? Guess they need to copy GOOD Threads here now huh? Must have run out of ideas here.......

For shame..........[face_shame_on_you]
  20. -HD-YaebGinn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I personally think it's Vader cutting Obi in half. Here's why.

1. He disapeers, leaving the audience in wonder for about 30 years.

2. Obi is the last of the known Jedi (yoda was unknown at the time to us) and it looks like he is gonna train Luke and help him win, but then he just gets cut. It's a real shocker to the audience.

3. It was sacrificial. It was not a blow made by luck, skill or arrogance, it was Obi-Wan giving up his life to help Luke escape. It lets you know how important it is that Luke goes on to become a Jedi.

4. It was the first person Vader cut. (that we see, not chronologically)
  21. Lord_NoONE Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I personally believe that the most important blow in the entire Saga was aboard the second Death Star. It's the one when Luke cuts off Vader's hand and has Vader in total submission and at blade point. It's there that Luke has to make his decision of whether to succumb to the dark side and perpetuate the darkness covering the galaxy, or he can not give into hatred and disengage his lightsaber blade.

This is the moment of truth for the entire prophecy. Will the Chosen One be reclaimed and propelled on to his ultimate victory over the Sith? or, will his son end his life relegating the universe to an interminable reign of darkness?
  22. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    I like that; it's ironic in a way. The most important and powerful sabre blow isn't the one that kills someone, but instead affects one's lineage, choices and lifestyle.

Luke cutting of Vader's hand signifies that Luke has becoming stronger; allowing his hatred to control him. The Emperor, seeing this, really believes that Luke is ready to take over Vader. He believes it so much so that he is at the point of no return. Either Luke accepts and Vader dies, or Luke declines and both Luke and Vader die. However ... there was a third option. ;)
  23. -HD-YaebGinn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think it's where Luke uses his saber cut to a piece of falling metal thrown by Vader in ESB. I think it shows he really doesnt want to get bonked with metal.
  24. emporergerner Jedi Master

star 4
    The most important sabre blow is the one that was'nt dealt. The one that Luke could have gave Vader aboard the second Death Star and ended his life and propelled Luke to the darkside.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith
  25. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    Luke wailing on a fallen Vader, then that final blow that takes off Vader's hand and goes through the railing. That said it all, Luke had surpassed his father and had become a truly powerful Jedi Knight. I love that part.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.