main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The most laugh-out-loud thing you've ever read in a book, paper, or essay on Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Cryogenic, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Sort of what it says on the tin. Meant to be a fun thread above all else. I haven't made one in a while, and while I have plenty of ideas, I thought I'd do something light and fluffy for now.

What is the most laugh-out-loud, or among the most ridiculous, thing you have ever read, or perhaps heard said, about the series, or one of the movies, or a character, or whatever?

I am sure most of us have a few candidates. My own vote is for the following. I shared it with someone a little while ago. I read this yesterday and it literally caused me to burst into hysterical laughter:

"Vader's phallic appearance as a giant black dildo is compensation for his inability to sexually possess his dead white mother and wife."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...sess his dead white mother and wife."&f=false

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Holy **** who wrote that?

(Rhetorical question. I'm not clicking the link, I don't want to know beyond someone who needs to bloody well get it off his brain.)

Good thread, I'll try to think of some myself.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

That the criminal low-life punk threatening Luke in the cantina is supposedly an M.D. specialized in plastic surgery and goes by the name of "Dr. Evazan" [face_laugh]

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    What. The. ****
    Good find, Cryo

As for my answer.... I'd say this one thing that began with the three words "A long time"

Cryogenic likes this.
  5. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Well there's this very... enlightening little bit from Melissa Harris Perry on the news just before TFA was getting set to release. Apparently we all failed to realize just how racist Darth Vader really was.

“I know why I have feelings — good, bad and otherwise — about Star Wars,” Perry explained. “…I spent the whole day talking about the Darth Vader situation.”
    “The part where he was totally a black guy, whose name was basically James Earl Jones,” she said. “While he was black he was terrible and bad, awful and used to cut off white men’s hand, and didn’t actually claim his son. But as soon as he claims his son, goes over to the good, takes off his mask and he is white — yes, I have many feelings about that.”

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It takes some serious skill to go looking for phallic imagery in Star Wars and somehow get it wrong.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ...which goes hand in hand with what someone - forgot who - wrote about the message put forth by Star Wars; that deep down, all black guys are white.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Cryogenic like this.
  8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Lulu Mars

Are you referring to Hooper X Star Wars rant in Chasing Amy and the Jason Lee character reaction to it? ;)

Kenneth Morgan and Lulu Mars like this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] Yeah, maybe someone was inspired by that!

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Curtis Saxton's Endor Holocaust theory got me shaking my head a bit, at least.

Straudenbecker and Lt. Hija like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

Revyl Ren and Cryogenic like this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How so?

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If it isn't obvious to you, it's not my explanation that will change that.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Two characters from stories getting pages? Really? I've seen far more obscure things getting pages on the Wook.
    One interacted with movie characters. Try pulling up a character from a WEG story from the 90's or something.
    Zeta1127 from the Lit board could pull out some obscure characters that most of us have never heard of.
    A character from ROTJ and a popular arc from TCW is extreme? Not really.
    Or come up with some random object.

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    But they aren't characters. They have about 2 lines each, and have no names or distinguishing features. They don't need a wiki page for that.

Ezon Pin and Alexrd like this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So you understood the obvious after all.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    But they probably get mentioned on Han and Leia's page and Krell's page.
    And on the ROTJ page. Since they had someone play the character.

So they shouldn't have a page for all of the aliens in the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Maz's Palace, Dex's Diner etc, etc?

Who knows, they might get more stories in the future?
    EU fan so random characters in the movies don't bother me. Expand on them elsewhere.
    Feels like what a encyclopedia is supposed to do.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    If the characters have a name, or some expanded story in the EU, then that would be grounds for a wiki page.

But there's no point making an article about, say, 'The Aleena who ate lunch at Dex's Diner that one time', or, 'That one Gong player in Jabba's palace band'.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if it is only to learn what species they were, and so I could go on to read about that species, good enough for me.
    If it was a character, planet, alien species, ship, group, technology only mentioned in some sourcebook from the 90's and not anywhere else, that would be extreme but something we see on screen? Not so much. Sorry.

steelneena and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If 'being seen on screen' is your requirement for a dedicated article, then you agree that there should be an article for every battle droid and stormtrooper seen in the movies.

Like I said, extremism. I find it laughable.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When did I say 'being seen on screen' is your requirement for a dedicated article? Something from the main source of SW for most people is extreme?

Something getting mentioned in a sourcebook that we never see again getting an article is fine and even more extreme imo.

Click the random button. I got a drink only mentioned once in a book with no impact on the plot and the next time got a ship mentioned in one of the Adventure Journals that you've probably not even heard of.
    Both are a lot more random in my eyes than the stormtrooper and clone trooper.
    Well since the movies are probably what people know about most, that honestly doesn't seem extreme to me to include everything in it.
    You and others like to nitpick each scene to death and tie them into scenes from the other movies, Extreme no?
    Others like to debate specs from ships to death,
    Others do timelines,
    So others doing every single character doesn't bother me.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The source is not the issue. Apparently you don't understand what the problem is even though it has been explained already.

The fact that I consider X extreme doesn't Y is not extreme as well.

Nobody is talking about what bothers you.

25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Alexrd wrote

If 'being seen on screen' is your requirement for a dedicated article, then you agree that there should be an article for every battle droid and stormtrooper seen in the movies.

I concur. When Luke entered the Mos Eisley cantina he experienced all the aliens in there just as the audience as an compilation of exotic creatures but with most of these being literally "alien" to him (and the audience). And when the action figures came out, all George Lucas sanctioned were colloquial descriptions and not species designations.

In the ANH radio drama Brian Daley limited Luke's knowledge to a "Meerian Hammerhead" and the Wolfman species.

Now, we have all kinds of conjectural in-depth backgrounds, and the current custodian of canon and continuity apparently seems more concerned about proper pronunciation of conjectural names than other things that IMHO should matter more (based on an article I read).

And as a result we have ridiculous conjectures like the one I featured above in post # 3.

Tosche_Station and KaleeshEyes like this.