main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The most laugh-out-loud thing you've ever read in a book, paper, or essay on Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Cryogenic, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Getting "the death sentence in twelve systems" requires a bit more than being a small-time punk. "Mad scientist" was a strange conjecture - but we got IMO entertaining short stories out of it.

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Guys, the joke is dead alright?

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    No offense but I rather take Solo's / Brian Daley's word for that:

HAN: "Hey, I saw what was left of a couple of small-time punks being carted out the front door a while ago. Your handiwork?"

Tosche_Station likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not said in the movie during Han's conversation with Obi-wan - therefore not canon until somebody recanonizes it.

Sometimes, stuff from the radio dramas doesn't get recanonized - and that's fine. Sometimes it does (newcanon ANH novel has Luke's simulator testing scenes on Yavin before the fight begins.)

So we can safely say they're not ignoring the radio dramas - the just recanonize stuff on a case by case basis, rather than all at once.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Well, unless Disney decides to overwrite information from the radio drama (which I'm certain they will regarding events that lead to the theft of the Death Star plans) the information concluded from the radio drama still takes precedence over EU conjecture (> my signature). ;)

Tosche_Station likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They have already. That was the whole point I was trying to make.

Anyway - we're getting off topic. Besides reading Dr Evazan's entry in, say, the Databank, what else made you laugh out loud?

For me - the error that conflated Rebels Mando starfighters with Mando transport ships, was a bit facepalm-worthy.

Thankfully, they fixed it.

7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I technically didn't read it but this read-through of the Wookieepedia page for Vader's suit cracks me up. It's funny just how much the previous expanded universe demystified Vader and other awesome things from the films. It turns the previously intimating armor into a series of small inconveniences that Vader internally complains about.

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Howard Hand

I saw that Redlettermedia video, too, and constantly thought "Guys, you are kidding us, aren't you?". I've been called out here as somebody who takes pseudoscientific research way too seriously, but this was even too much for me.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm cheating here, as this is not from a book/essay or anything, but this Youtube comment frigging made me lol for 20 minutes

[​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Leia had daddy issues. It was in a paper I read years ago. Basically it summed up a lot of her scenes, including her kissing Luke. I cannot remember much of it, but it made me laugh hard and the people sitting near me just looked at me funny or moved further down the seats.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

That came from the novel Dark Lord where vader is 4 months into the suit and is complaining about it Constantly.

12. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Not from a book, but from a thread on another site:
    I made a few joke posts about it on here afterwards, but I can say that made me laugh pretty hard.

13. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I forget who wrote this, but I remember one critic who claimed that the STAR WARS trilogy was Stalinist and somehow tried to blame STAR WARS and George Lucas for the Iraq War. I got a good laugh out of that one.

14. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    The best thing about this one is there's very little hamming it up. Mike is just reading what was written, and the text's own ridiculousness is showing through. I think there needs to be a test of sorts. Like 'if you can't read it out loud to a casual audience, don't write it'. It's funny how in Star Wars, a film and series that excelled at simplicity such complicated writings serve to damage the existing characterisations.