main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The most scrutinized film in history ... ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MyDarkstar, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not sure why you bring that up. Those battles have rarely been an issue on these boards. [face_laugh]

Darkslayer, TX-20 and Seeher like this.
  2. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    Thing is that it's difficult not mentioning them, as when it comes to "most scrutinized films in history", the Prequels are up there, bashing them has been a meme for years, when it comes to major blockbusters, they're some of the most scrutinized films around. With Force Awakens, many old fans are keeping their expectations in check, if anyone's going to scrutinize the film, it's most likely only going to be Prequels or George Lucas fans who didn't like them ignoring Lucas's original ideas. Unless the film gets very rotten reviews (which is doubtful considering Abrams's filmography), i don't see this film being scrutinized in nearly the same way Phantom Menace has been.

3. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    Back to the OP,

I think this will be hugely scrutinized! With the amount of media that is around these days, vs back in the PT days, is so large that predisposed notions of what the film will be mixed with reality of what we already know will create many mixed feelings.

I remember in the 3SA days, everyone thought how the film was going to go, then once it came it out there was anarchy over such things as 'I have the high ground'
    'Ani you're breaking my heart'
    Just to name a couple.

VII will be a much more polished film than any of Lucas' films, ever. I have high expectations along with all the knowledge going in with new canon reading etc, leaks and the trailers that, for me, it won't be a let down no matter what.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't see interest in spoilers and technical details of the movie being any more intense than it was for TPM or the LOTR trilogy. I'm sure for Trekkies scrutiny of the films looked just as intense from inside their own fan bubble. Keep in mind that if you're a regular in this thread your perspective is already hopelessly skewed.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think Star Wars is as important as the next fellow does but let's not pretend that any of this will be as scrutinized as Birth Of A Nation. :p

KING_KENOBI, TheBBP and Jabbadabbado like this.
  6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Three words: Mr Popper's Penguins

7. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    Battlefield Earth

8. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The Prequel Trilogy?

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, I didn't say the PT movies can't be mentioned or discussed within the context of the thread. I was talking about bashing and PT vs. OT arguments.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Zapruder footage: the most scrutinized film in history.

thejeditraitor and Valairy Scot like this.
  11. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Ha ;)

12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Is TFA scrutinized more than Spectre, Jurassic World, Mission Impossible 5, Mad Max: Fury Road or any other addition to a franchise? It may seem like it to a fan of those films that theirs is being put under the spot-light far more than its rivals, but you just have to look at the Harry Potter films to see that any successful franchise will always be scrutinized heavily and sometimes just to find something negative for them to say.

13. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Most scrutinized film in history . . . .
    ;)

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lol. I forgot about that one, it's definitely up there with TPM (which was scrutinized longer, where TI had a shorter, more intense period of scrutiny I think.

Rabs likes this.
  15. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    There was also the film Kids from 1995. I was a teenager when this came out. Parents and childless adults alike freaked out over it.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    The Phantom Menace sure got scrutiny , but now here we are in the social media world years later so i have to believe The Force Awakens will get even more. I've noticed on regular news broadcasts TFA trailer's being mentioned and the newscasters talking about looking forward to the movie. No other movie this year is getting that kind of talk.

Lee_ and Andy Wylde like this.
  17. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    The thing is, the Prequels hate has pretty much become a meme, even if the film disappoints some, it will most likely still end up being considered by the public as "better than the prequels". It would need to be a realy terrible movie in order to get more scrutinity.

18. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    That is the crux of it though - expectations are high for TFA as much as they were for TPM. The difference being that TPM has tempered the quality of Star Wars in the minds of some despite the high expectations leading to the inevitable conclusion that TFA will, at its worst, have the distinction of at least being better than the prequels in the eyes of the average movie goer.

19. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    Many are also keeping their expectations more in check due to the prequels so that they don't end up getting disappointed.

20. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Scrutiny is not the same as criticism. Saying a movie is the "worst" is not at all the same thing as being the most scrutinized.

21. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    The thing is, outside here, the film isn't facing any scrutinity at all, seem to be one of the most hyped films in a while. If you want to look at scrutinized films this year, then Fantastic Four beats it easily, even before the reviews got so terrible, the film was getting very scrutinized due to Fox not letting the rights go back to Marvel, and unlike TFA, i felt that negative opinion outside the fandom.

22. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I doubt TFA will be the most scrutinized in film history. If it delivers it might be one of the most celebrated.

23. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    I would think some religious flicks like Last Temptation of Christ or something would be far more than TFA?

Rabs likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    There are plenty of movies which are in some way controversial and receive a lot of scrutiny after they come out. As far as pre-release scrutiny goes, though, this would have to be up there.

Darth Dookacas likes this.
  25. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Last Temptation of Christ was one of the most scrutinized movies of all time. That was such a weird movie experience for me. People were praying, cursing, and crying at the showing I saw.

Rabs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.