main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The most scrutinized film in history ... ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MyDarkstar, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    Where is the scrutinity though? Outside maybe this forums most people are celebrating.

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think the same could be said for almost anything. The VAST majority of people out there are just happy that there's going to be a new SW or LOTR or Marvel or whatever movie to watch. They go and watch it, like it or not, and then look to see what's on next. The scrutiny ends by the time they get back to the car after the film. The real scrutiny for most films takes place in locations like this, and in places like this, TFA and everything / everyone associated with it, has been being run over with a fine tooth comb for months now.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think the scrutiny was much worse for The Phantom Menace, than there is for The Force Awakens. TPM had to live up to the success of the OT; whereas the the very vocal critics of the Prequels have created a false idea that the PT was a failure, which lowers the bar for TFA. Therefore TFA will be considered a success as long as it is considered better than the critically maligned Prequels.

Valairy Scot and Andy Wylde like this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

That's a fair point. Conversely, though, there's an element of the fandom now who want this film to crash and burn which wasn't around when TPM came out.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  5. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    If you realy want to generalize it yeah, but there are actualy many films that have so much negative attention that it slips from being just from inside the fandom, Fantastic Four (2015) for example is one such film, there simply is a large percentage of people that was scrutinizing it before it came out. Just look around the web, from places like tumblr to film forums, Force Awakens's release is being celebrated, while Fantastic Four was being heavily bashed. The same happes with many other films too, and Force Awakens seems to be in a similar position to the likes of Avengers: Cinemagoers in general are looking forward to it.

I realy don't know why some here are trying to push the idea that the film is being scrutinized, because it's one of the most positively hyped films of the year.

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Why would you want a new SW film to crash and burn if you're a fan? You ain't a true fan if that's your mindset. SW doesn't need that ilk of idiot. Go get into something else if that's the case. And don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out..

7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    You guys are preaching to the choir! I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far and I can't wait to see it. But if you go back and have a look at the way that it's been received here, even as far back as last year, not everyone's of the same mindset. There are many existing issues amongst the fandom, which didn't exist in 1999, which have been projected all over TFA and everyone involved with it.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    My thoughts also, it pretty much goes without saying that TFA will be more scrutinized because there are far more places where people scrutinize. If you are talking back-room scrutiny, or scrutiny at family reunions, then who knows. But if you are talking public scrutiny, it would be laughable to imply that a movie in '99 got more than one now. Scrutiny just plain has a lot more places to pop up and sit now.

hartman89 and MOC Yak Face like this.
  9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

LOL! Jcuk I am not one of those Fans. :p

Jcuk likes this.
  10. Powerful Lord

May 10, 2015
    Well, the Pequels hate has pretty much become a meme, so Force Awakens would need to be realy bad in order to be more scrutinized.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that is true Lee_ .
    i am thinking more of the hype around TPM. i'm not sure a movie will ever be that anitcipated and hyped again. It took a while afterwards for criticisms to set in . With TFA the good or bad will be out there immediately.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It does say something that a good portion of the scrutiny directed toward TFA is merely lining it up against TPM and analyzing it based on pro & con views of a previous film; which serves to make the prior film that much more continually scrutinized.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  13. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    aw man,I remember this film,it kind of mirrored my own pre to mid teens in the late 90's up to 01 ...(minus the AIDS of course)

About Star wars being scrutinized..doesn't that sentence sort of answer itself?

Also one should keep in mind their not making the movie only for "the nerds" ,so I do expect compromises to widen mass appeal like trek 09..Im sure they wont be able to please all the people all the time..

But ,its just a movie,that being said..its gonna be great, just do yourself a favor and get rid of a lot of preconceived notions you may think is set in stone..unlearn what you have learned if you will :) see you guys at the premiere! ..

Rabs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.