main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The most touching scene in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AVECEASAR, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVECEASAR

AVECEASAR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    What do you say? I say it's the scene in RotJ when Vader stands against the Emperor. Music takes a great part in that scene, I think. Very powerful and touching IMO.

2. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    "You already have, Luke"

3. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Darth Vader's redemption wins by default. [face_mischief]

<[-]> Saber

4. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    Watching Luke burn the father he'd been wanting to meet his entire life moments after winning him from the dark side. That's the one for me.

5. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    For me, there are a couple, but there is something about Luke's "I have it, my father has it, and....my sister has it" - Hamill's delivery really does it for me.

6. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    The scene in ANH where Ben and Luke find the dead Jawas and Luke realises his uncle and aunt are in danger. When he races off to save them, that's one of my favourites. Here too, the music contributes much to the feeling of the scene.

7. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    It's hard for me to make one specific pick, but I think the very final scene of Return of the Jedi, where Luke see's Yoda, Anakin, and Obi-Wan together, and then is pulled away back to the celebration by Leia, who doesn't see the ghosts, is a really touching, kind of bitter-sweet moment.

8. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Either Vader deciding to overthrow (literally) the Emperor, with the amazing swell in music and drama, or Anakin leaving his mother in TPM. I'm sorry, I'm a guy, and I like to think I can handle "tear jerking" scenes in movies, but this one actually made me a little sad. The only movies that generally get a sad feeling out of me are historical war movies, and only if done well, but the scene where Anakin leaves his mother to join the Jedi is sad for me. Come on, he's only 9 years old and he's running off with a stranger to another planet, to join a group of people who are not allowed to have feelings for each other? And his mother gave up the only thing she had to live for so he could be happy. And somehow, a sense of dark foreshadowing covers the entire scene, as if everyone except Anakin knows something bad might happen.

EDIT: Keep in mind, I often criticise Jake Lloyd, but I definitely think this is the best scene in his career and the movie. He may not have been up to the task for the rest of the movie, but he was spot on here.

9. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I thought the scene where Dooku says " I wish he were here right know " referring to Qui-Gon was touching. Its in that instant that I realized that Dooku was a good man at one point, not just a throw-in villain and I cant help but wonder how an eloquent gentlman came to be an " agent of evil" .

10. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    The scene where Luke remove's Vader's helmet.

11. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Yoda's death scene had me in tears as a child. Still does! :_|

12. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I'd say Luke letting of Anakin as he passes away. He feels his chest armor, and then we see a crying Luke bow his head down. Powerful stuff.

But I have to say that hug between Han and Leia during the victory celebration just makes me feel all warm inside...

13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm glad someone mentioned Anakin leaving Shmi. When he says, "Will I ever see you again?" I admit it, I get all choked up.

And of course, Qui-Gon dying in Obi-Wan's arms. Ewan and Liam ruled that scene.

Right after Luke tells Leia that they're twins and that Vader is their father, then Han comes out and he and Leia get into it because Han is annoyed that she'll talk to Luke but now him. And then she just kind of breaks down and says, "Hold me." And he does, looking very apologetic.

14. superxero

superxero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    "That face you make. Look I so old, to young eyes?"

-Yoda, Return Of The Jedi

I like how he followed it with comedy though;

"When 900 years old you age, looks as good you will not!" :p

15. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    I agree with most people here, I think Luke and Anakin at the end of ROTJ is the most moving. It's good they saved the best till last. :D

"Tell your sister you were right..."

16. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    The scene with the younglings in AOTC always get to me when the music starts up. It's so innocent and childlike and you think of what's in store for these younglings. Very touching.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is."
    -Yoda

17. Binkley71

Binkley71 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    > the scene where Anakin leaves
    > his mother to join the Jedi
    > is sad for me.

The Force theme that plays as
    Anakin is running away from his
    mother, toward his destiny, makes
    the moment especially powerful.

18. That_Old_Fossil

That_Old_Fossil Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2004
    The most touching scene must be when everyone hugs eachother at the end of EpVI :p

19. DL2112

DL2112 Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2004
    I agree with ComanderConrad, the scene where Darth Vader is burned after a life of evil, turning good and then he is dead. :_|

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    With the foreknowledge that we have on Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship, I find the balcony scene at the beginning of AOTC to be quite touching.

- You look tired.
    - I don't sleep well anymore.
    - Because of your mother?
    - *nods* I don't know why I keep dreaming about her.
    - Dreams pass in time.

A very tender moment, where you get the sense of a close friendship that is pretty much a father/son relationship.
    When you see this scene, you know that their friendship withstands quarrels of the kind they had in the previous scene. Later on, you also know that even though Anakin blames his failures on Obi-Wan, he still loves him as the father he never had.
    It makes you wonder what in the world turned them into enemies.

21. MaraJade2006

MaraJade2006 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2003
    I think Shmi's death is the most touching scene. I mean, you can just imagine how Anakin feels, if he had been just a bit earlier he could've saved her, and to have your mother die in your arms, after not seeing her for ten years. :( It's very sad.

I think the end of ROTJ is very moving also. From Luke being tortured by the Emperor to the very end with the ghosts.
    *sniffle* good stuff. :)

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Off the top of my head, I'd nominate scenes such as Shmi's death in AOTC, Yoda's death in ROTJ, and Anakin's death in ROTJ. Hmm...Guess I'm a sucker for good death scenes :p

EDIT - I thought the scene where Dooku says " I wish he were here right know " referring to Qui-Gon was touching. Its in that instant that I realized that Dooku was a good man at one point, not just a throw-in villain and I cant help but wonder how an eloquent gentlman came to be an " agent of evil" .

Good one. It's all about the heavy pause Lee puts in here that makes it.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Shimi's death along with the funeral scene from AOTC are probably the "most touching" of the prequels so far.

I think that Luke burning Vader is the most touching of the original films.

The Most Touching Scenes of the Saga would probably be,
    1. Burning Vader
    2. The Death of Shimi
    3. The death of Yoda
    4. The death of Palpatine, Vader's mask
    5. Obi-Wan's death
    6. Qui-Gon's death

Episode III will give us some more scenes, I'm sure.

-Seldon

24. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    "Tell your sister you were right"

That line always goes straight to the core.

25. Jedi_Master--Yoda

Jedi_Master--Yoda Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2004
    I'd have to say that the most touching scene is in ROTJ... when Luke burns his father on fire and when he arrives at the ewok village and he looks away from the party and sees Obi-Wan (Ben) with Yoda and Anakin comes up next to Yoda.... That's the best scene in the saga for sure =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.