main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE MOVE - Coming March 21st to a JC near you

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Mar 12, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Alright, I have to backtrack slightly on what I said about merging users. That feature is not yet operational in Xenforo. However, they are working on implementing it in a future update. So at least in the beginning, we will only be able to delete accounts completely or edit usernames.

2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Question: Will PM's all be saved and moved to the new forums? I have notes and items saved in my PM that I would hate to lose...and yes, I know I could save them to another place,and I might, but I just want to know if our personal PM's (including PM to others and from others) will be saved intact through the move?

WE won't be able to update stories during this time? I'm getting that that's the case, but just confirming....

And if so...boo hoo!! :_| I can't WAIT till the move is completed...

Maybe I can at least get my next chapter up before it starts...

And do you know how many updates will be happening all at once when the new boards are up?? It will take us readers at least a week to catch up on everything!!

3. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Still not convinced it's actually happening.[face_plain]

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    PMs should be moved. If you are really worried you might want to save any information you want to keep. PMs might not be available on day 1 of the new boards though.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Why the heck did some of you create so many socks anyway? :p

6. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Will we have the ability to delete PM's if we wish?

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It's funny... I was just thinking about how much we all hated Snowball/"Snowhell" right after the move from UBB.

No mark-up codes like bold or italics.
    No emoticon images.
    No ability to lock threads.
    No private forums (the entity now known as MS was an email list).

And yet, after all this time on this system and the countless hours staring at these familiar page layouts, it feels like IGN's design is a part of our community now. So many things that changed my life in some way happened here on these boards. I can't help but feel this isn't just the end of an era... it's a loss of an old friend.

:_|

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Because our toes were COLD! :p

In the fanfic there are a couple of reasons. If a sock is used to initiate a challenge thread, then it and the password can be passed on to another user to keep the thread going.

Another reason is to have multiple user profiles. You can post links to your stories in the profile, but there is a limit on the number of characters. If you have a lot of stories, then one profile won't be able to handle them all. The fanfic mods solved this problem by starting a thread specifically for users to post links to their stories. But the old socks and their profiles are still there.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The short answer is yes.

A bit about private messages in Xenforo:
    Private messages, as we know them, and as most forums know them, are a lot like emails. You have an inbox and a sent box and you read them one by one. In Xenforo, private messages are actually private threads called conversations. When you PM someone, it starts a conversation thread that the other person can reply to. All the replies are always kept together in the same thread. If you wanted to delete a PM, what you would do is "leave" the conversation, which ends up deleting the entire thread from your list of conversations.

Oh, and the other game changer with conversations is that you can add multiple people - even after the conversation has started. For example, User 1 starts a conversation with User 2 and User 3. All three users engage in the conversation and the thread grows to a dozen or so posts. At this point, User 2 decides that User 4 should be a part of this discussion and adds them to the conversation. User 4 now has access to the full conversation thread and can read everything from the very beginning.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, there goes talking **** about anyone via PM. :(

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That change (along with the ability to like posts) is very, very intriguing.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope the "like" function can be turned off. Can't people actually reply instead of clicking some dumb button?

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Such as it is on Facebook, you can do both.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It contributes nothing.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    EDIT: Oops, didn't realize I'd already posted.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, there are many features that we have here that contribute nothing, and yet still exist (ie: the stars). So, consider it a part of a JC tradition. :p

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's lifted from Facebook. It's not a "tradition" here. The stars are stupid too, but they work differently.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Like.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Despite problems here & there I have, I'm still very much a unabashed fan of Facebook, so any good that can be imported from there is a wonderful thing.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ugh... I'm not a fan of the like button. I prefer when people reply to posts with actual words.

Grimby likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I agree. It's the equivalent of '+1' - doesn't add a whole lot to the thread.

22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Very late in the day for me to suddenly wonder this; how do we access the Temp Boards?

Am I just typing boards.theforce.net as normal, and end up at the temp location where I have to register anew?

Also, I assume that the Powers That Be have tested the email server is happy to do the level of mass-sending that would be necessary to send passwords out to the TFN population?

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Last we heard from Grimby was that he's still waiting for the server setup. So we haven't gotten on the temp boards either.

24. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    What about the markup codes, will they be the same or something quite different?

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks, LAJ. This close to the Move, not feeling that confident now.