main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE MOVE - Coming March 21st to a JC near you

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Mar 12, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Oh joy.[face_plain]

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I have a bad feeling about this. [face_laugh]

3. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    MariahJSkywalker likes this.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    +1

Edit: Also, the temp board should be set up by tomorrow at the latest.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I NO LONGER TRUST YOUR TIMELINE / PROMISES, GRIMBY. JUST LET US KNOW WHEN IT'S GOOD TO GO. :p

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm at the mercy of other people. If the server were ready to go, we'd already be in there setting it up.

7. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I want to keep using my present username and password in the new boards,is that okey? swforce2003@yahoo.com is still my email address that I like to use here.how do I update it?

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Looks like your email is up to date. You don't need to do anything. :)

9. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    You mean private PM's will no longer be truly private? Our present PM's will be saved and moved to the new location and then will be made public?

And PM's (or conversations) as you are calling them will be deleted due to non use?

Not good news to me. I have PM's I'm saving for later use in my story. I haven't accessed tehm for several weeks because I don't need them yet, but will be when I"m ready. I am not liking this move at all.

And I really don't like the sound of a "Like" button. I like knowing what people think

10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Uh, no. I never said PMs would be made public. Xenforo just has an option where you can add another user to a conversation.

And the only way your PMs will be deleted is if you manually click the "leave conversation" button inside a conversation thread. Otherwise they're always there for you to open and read.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Fanfic is serious business.

12. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    OH, Good, I feel better. You had me going for a minute. Thanks. :)

(Yeah, I've been in bed and asleep, but hubby woke me up and then I couldn't go back to sleep so decided to get up for a bit and check in here. I mean, fanfic is serious business, but at the same time, it's not earth changing or anything. But I do have stuff I worked hard on (and I have my own personal reasons why I'm keeping them in TF.net PM forums rather than elsewhere), so I would hate to lose it. (They're PM's either sent to myself for me to access later when I'm ready for them or sent to a friend who is helping me)

I was under the impression from an earlier post though that a PM conversation would be automatically closed if it went so long without response or action..I'm glad to know that can't happen unless I close it.

Sorry if I sounded a little frantic there...it didn't help that I had to hurry because something else was calling for my attention at the moment.

As for the LIKE button I'm hearing about...I didn't get a chance to ask earlier, but is that for forums of conversations, or also for responses to story chapters? I wonder because when I post a story (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way), I like to know what people think about it..why they like it if they do, what they liked about it, etc. Just pushing a "like" button is nice I suppose, to at least let me know someone read it and liked it, but an actual sentence letting me know what they think is so much more personal, as well as satisfying and encouraging to a writer. Again, I KNOW many writers will understand exactly what I"m saying...

Of course, I'm not real familiar with the LIKE button thing, so if I'm not understanding it, I sure would appreciate some clarification on that as well.

Thanks!! :)

13. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I hope you don't mind me posting in this thread, but I've run into an interesting issue and I'm not sure where else to go for information since the move is just a few days away.

AOL is my main internet service provider, and my main email address is with AOL as well. I've always used it as my main address for TF.N. I went a few years without logging into the boards, but recently came back and tried to log in. I couldn't remember my password, and wasn't quite sure where I had it written down, so I tried the "reset password" link which is supposed to send an email to your account. I never got an email. I waited a day in case it was delayed, and checked my spam folder several times. Nothing.

I found where I had my password written down, but considering the importance of having a working email address for the move, I switched my main address to a Yahoo email address I have, and tried to "reset password" link again, to see if it would be more effective. I still received no email.

Is that system simply down, or will it not work with AOL or Yahoo? Do I need to use a different address?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ani-maniac

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ani - no emails are currently being sent. IGN did their server move and board upgrade and broke the mail server setup for us. So it's been months since that's worked. You should be fine on AOL as that is my mail provider as well.

15. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    So are you guys sure it will take only 1 to 3 weeks? Also what happens if there are any issues with the movie to the new boards such as them not working?

16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    We're creating a temp board for the time it takes us to get the move completed so if takes a bit longer, we will have a place in the meantime.

17. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    So when the temp boards are up (supposedly sometime today?), will we be able to register for them right away, or do we have to wait with that until the actual move?

I wouldn't mind testing the temp board.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    We'll be asking the users to wait until the move is actually imminent. We need to get in there, set things up, do testing and the like.

19. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Right, thanks. =)

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Does anyone else feel like this is the last episode of BSG?

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Did this happen?

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    It's installing as we speak. It will not be opened to the public until the move begins, however.

23. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Thank you for letting me know, LAJ-FETT. :)

I appologize if this has already been covered somewhere else and I missed it, but I know there was some concern a while ago about whether or not any old threads would be lost during the move. Is that still an issue, or does it seem now like the boards will make the move intact?

Thank you again!

Ani-maniac

24. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Yes.... minus the overwhelming disappointment.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I could certainly see grimby pulling a Starbuck and vanishing.