main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE MOVE - Coming March 21st to a JC near you

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Mar 12, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If there are any problems with old threads, they would probably be with extremely old ones that existed prior to the move to IGN. I've seen some real old ones in YJCC that are broken. (These would be dated around 2000ish if I recall correctly.) I'd certainly expect anything posted while we're on IGN would be OK.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, that much is good!

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Maybe the option for the "Like" button (and associated counts like number of Likes for a user) should just be disabled on the new boards... thoughts?

4. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005

5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't get all this Like hate. I like liking things. I also like being liked.

Grimby likes this.
  6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    jcgoble3 likes this.

In all seriousness, I don't see the harm in the Like function. Another message board I'm active on uses a Like feature with no problems. I don't see why we couldn't here.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno, it removes the freebie post count bump that comes with saying "This." :p

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'd like it if FB remains the only place where morons like their own posts.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Just mock them when they do it here, as when it's done on Facebook.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

10. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I still like to use my present username,password and email address.is that alright? where do I go to update?

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If the email address in your profile is correct, then you don't need to do anything else.

The default posting editor in Xenforo is a WYSIWYG "rich text editor" that doesn't require markup code input. However, you can set your preferences to use the plain text/bb code editor if you prefer. Xenforo uses standard BB Codes in that mode.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Think of it as a moron early alert system.

13. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    You're probably tried of me asking questions (and my apologies again if this has already been covered) but will PMs also be preserved in the move, under the "Sent Messages" and "Read Messages" sections?

Thank you again!

*sends a large basket of muja fruit*

Ani-maniac

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    PMs will be preserved, but Xenforo handles them differently. You have an in-box but the 'conversations' (as Xenforo refers to them) show up similar to threads in a forum. Once we get the temp boards open you can register an id and take a look.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So, referencing my earlier question, if/when the temp boards do work, how do I access them? Do I type boards.theforce.net, and the URL goes straight to the Temp board front page?

What about users who, like me, have been here long enough to learn the url of the TFN page that they want?

What I mean, if the temp board location is tied in with the basic TFN/JC address, there may be members on here who either don't know the basic TFN or JC address (I don't, if it isn't "boards.theforce.net"), or have long forgotten it.

Might be a good idea to publicise just how we are supposed to reach the TB, before the move actually starts, because tomorrow, presumably we won't be able to come on here to check contact information.

EDIT: Okay, that went on a bit long. My other main issue. I haven't logged off my account in quite a long time. If my account and data crosses from here to Xenforo in an 'logged in' status, will it have a problem with me coming along later and trying to access it with a new password.

Sorry if this is a nonsense question; I just have a lot of material invested here, and I'm worrying about things.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't worry, type "boards.theforce.net" and you'll get a nice page redirecting you to the temp boards.

The URLs to each subforum won't lead you there, though, as the forum architecture is completely different.

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Any url beginning with boards.theforce.net, will forward to a temp landing page which will have a link to the temp board. No additional info or input required.

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, Guys!

19. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Thanks Grimby for answering my question.[face_peace]

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't know how Xenforo handles it, but the message board I'm on that I referred to earlier doesn't allow you to like your own posts. Xenforo might do it the same way.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, you actually can't "like" your own posts.

22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I like all my posts.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I like all of mine too. Except this one is kind of weak. :p

24. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Is there any info when today it happens? Because over in the RPF we were thinking about doing a farewell game/party and wondered if we still got time for that?

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Can we have a Google search bar at the new place (new permanent board, I mean)? Those are pretty handy for looking up old threads (I'm assuming that old threads will not be lost forever).