main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD [The Move] For Realz this time!! - (UPDATED 3/12) We have a move date...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    APRIL FOOLS... no wait, it really wasn't an almost 2 year long April Fools joke, and we promise, it really never was!

From our head admin GrimbytheHutt: I have just received word from IGN that they are ready to begin migrating our forums. We are currently discussing a date for the move, but expect it be sometime in the next few weeks.

So what does that mean to fanfic? Well, hopefully not much. We know they boards will be down for a little while, though we aren't sure exactly how long, it could be as long as two weeks. It also means you might want to back up your fics in the unlikely chance that this is the only place you have them. I know we keep saying that but, we don't want anyone to lose their hard work.

Just a reminder of the things we know about the move:

* boards.theforce.net will still lead you to the boards once the move finalizes. This means your bookmarks should work as well.
    * We don't anticipate losing any threads, but one never knows with such things so it's better to be prepared.
    * As stated above, the boards will be down for a yet to be determined amount of time, but hopefully not too long.
    * Twitter and Facebook will be the places to get information while the boards are down. (Links below)
    * A temporary board will be set up, but discussions on how it will be organized are still on going.

We'll keep you updated as more information becomes available, but if you haven't already:
    Like the Jedi Council Forums facebook page
    Follow @JediCouncilTFN on Twitter.
    FYI: Both of these things can be accessed without having accounts.

FAQ: Please Read

What is IGN (our current host) is going to do?
    IGN is planning to export our forum data at some point in the coming weeks. We have not yet decided on an exact date.

What is the effect it will have?
    The JC is about to undergo a major upgrade. After the move, all the current glitches like new user registrations and email notifications will finally work again.

How will I get to the temp board?
    Once the boards are officially shut down for the move, boards.theforce.net will automatically forward you to the temp board.

How will the temp board will work?
    This will basically just be a place to hang out until the move has been completed. The temp board is going to be a brand new board - nothing from this board is going to be transferred to it, which means you will have to register a new temporary account in order to post. No threads or posts will be transferred either. After the move is completed, the temp board will be shut down.

How will the conversion will work and how long do we expect it to take?
    IGN will be exporting all the data from this forum and converting it into a database compatible with Xenforo. They will then mail us the data on a hard drive, which will then be imported into the new board set up on TFN's servers. We expect it to take somewhere between 1 to 3 weeks, depending on how long each step of the process takes to complete.

How will the boards will go back up again?
    When the move has been completed and we've had the chance to verify the import process, boards.theforce.net will automatically switch over to the new board.

What can I expect when the new board opens?
    Your password will not be transferred, so in order to log in for the first time, you will need to have your password emailed to you via the email associated with your account.

So I need to have a current email in my profile?
    Yes! To double check, go to Options> Change User Details> Private E-Mail Address
    Make sure that address is one you can still receive email from otherwise you won't be able to log in.

But the boards won't let me use the same email address for multiple accounts!
    With gmail (and

2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :eek: OMG!!! :eek:

This is that thing that we always heard it would happen but never actually believed it would, like the Armageddon. :p

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Thanks for the update, mav! I was worried about the links breaking. It's good to hear that they shouldn't.

But TWO WEEKS?! GAH! I better make sure I don't post any cliffhangers around that time. ;)

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Amazing. I thought the move would happen on 21 December 2012. Isn't that what the Mayan Calendar predicted?

I wonder if my 5,000 private messages that I can't erase will be transfered over also.

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    What?! That 'The end is near' thread in Communications is over 3 months old. And we were all so looking forward to our next April Fool's anniversary.[face_laugh] ;)

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Important info has been added to the first post. Please read the new FAQ!

They should transfer as well. We're hoping not to loose anything at all. *fingers crossed*

LOL! Definitely something to keep in mind... or to build more suspense!

We kept thinking it would be near but it's for real this time. I admit it would have been amusing to hit two years since the announcement! :p

7. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    Edit: Never mind. I found the answer to my question. Sorry.[face_blush]

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Make sure you go to OPTIONS and update your email address. I realized I had an old defunct email address in my profile. The official thread said they will email to the users their new temp password after the transfer so the email address listed has to be good.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    They won't just email it to you; you have to do a password recovery once the move is finished.

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    What software was chosen for the new boards? Anyone know?

Edit: I read the comms thread. Got my answer.

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I actually have some old socks that I don't want anymore, so I haven't updated the e-mail address for them. Will they disappear when the move happens?

12. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    They just better not lose all my lovely Qui-Gons when they move the boards. I'll have to send them big mean scary Liam Neeson if they do.[face_skull]

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    So, here is a question that I asked in Coms, but I haven't seen an answer yet. What happens to all the usernames that don't get used after the move? Will they expire? Will they be cleaned out eventually?

I have some old socks that I don't want to keep, so I haven't given them an e-mail address. So, when they make the move, all my old socks (and a lot of others) will be lying all over the forum floor and in the corners. What happens to them?

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That info is also in the FAQ above. :p And as Nat said, you will have to do a password recovery as though you had forgotten your password.

They will move (because hopefully everything will go without getting lost) but you will not be able to log into them since the password recovery wouldn't have an email to send a password to. So in essence, they would be lying around on the floor, sad and unusable at our new home.

15. Luke_Mara_Index

Luke_Mara_Index Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2004
    Hey Mav

So, if we have a sock (like this one) that we have been given, can we enter in one of our personal emails so we can do the password recovery once we move, then delete the email once the move is done?

EDIT:eek:h wait. I thought there was no email entered in. I'll just PM you.

16. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Works for me! Make sure you put the email address in the private box.

That's a good point for everyone--any "user" that does not have an email address in the private area will not be retrievable after the move. That includes our thread socks, Halloween socks, socks to hold our story links, etc.

17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Also, you can't use the same email addy with every account...

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, ANY sock needs to have an email address you can access if you are in charge of that sock. It is the private email that needs to be changed so you can always enter your own email and no one will see it or, just make a new one.

True, but some email clients allow you to put a period into your address and the boards will think it's different but it will send an email to the same account. Example: "starwars@gmail.com" could be one, "s.tarwars@gmail.com" will go to the same account. I know this works with gmail, I don't know for sure about any others.

19. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    If I understand this correctly, when the new board is up, I have to contact someone, by logging in as a guess, and tell them my login name so they can send me a password to log onto the new boards?

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Nope, that would be way too complicated for many reasons. When you click login, you will type in your username then click the "Forgot Password?" (or whatever it actually will say, it will be something along those lines). It will then send you an email with a temporary password you will log in with and then you can change it to whatever you want after that.

This is why it's so important to make sure your email address is correct in the private email section under user details. Without the correct email you will not be able to recover your username.

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    InherentConflict posted in Coms a really good summation of the impending move situation .... ;) :p

[image=http://i.imgur.com/qLTrd.jpg]

22. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Am I interpreting things correctly that the TFN Fanfic Archive shouldn't be affected by The Move?? It's only the forums that will be?

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The forums are hosted by IGN so that part is moving since IGN are upgrading their own boards and moving to new software. Everything hosted by TFN itself should be OK. (This includes icons and banners used here since they are already on TFN's servers.) As far as I know this should be the same for the Archive. I'm sure the Fanfic mods will correct me if I'm wrong. (I haven't had anything to do with the Archive.)

24. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Okay, thank you! :)

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    And we finally have a date! March 21st

So everyone pack your bags and get ready, as in triple check that you have a usable email address for your user name, socks, thread host socks, etc. or YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT! We really can't stress that enough, hence the bold and all caps!

Also no repeated asking of "Are we there yet?" That always makes the trip much longer for everyone! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.