main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The MOVE, What you need to know (yes I stole this from the JCC)

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    SO NOW THAT WE'RE FINALLY MOVING...
    A Preliminary Guide to the JCcalypse

[image=http://www.lovehomegrowgarden.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/moved.gif]
    We're moving, wooooo!

So we're moving?

Yeah! Finally!

April's Fools lolz?

No. Shut up.

What are these IGN fellows going to do?

IGN is planning to export our forum data at some point in the coming weeks. We have not yet decided on an exact date.

So what's exactly going to happen?

The JC is about to undergo a major upgrade. After the move, all the current glitches like new user registrations and email notifications will finally work again.

How will I get to this "temporary board"?

Once the boards are officially shut down for the move, boards.theforce.net will automatically forward you to the temp board.

How will the "temp board" work?

The temp board will basically just be a place to hang out until the move has been completed. The temp board is going to be a brand new board - nothing from this board is going to be transferred to it, which means you will have to register a new temporary account in order to post. No threads or posts will be transferred either. After the move is completed, the temp board will be shut down.

LOLZ can iregisteer Sapaient in tha temp boardz!1?

Not likely.

What about all these screenshots you've been showing us?

They're no longer valid, I'm afraid. They were from our old vBulletin test board, but now we're going to be moving to Xenforo, the same software IGN used when they moved. We have no idea how the new boards are going to look when they finally go live, but don't worry: we'll survive.

How long does this conversion take? And how does it exactly work?

IGN will be exporting all the data from this forum and converting it into a database compatible with XenForo. They will then mail us the data on a hard drive, which will then be imported into the new board set up on TFN's servers. We expect it to take somewhere between 1 to 3 weeks, depending on how long each step of the process takes to complete.

So when will the new JC be back?

When the move has been completed and we've had the chance to verify the import process, boards.theforce.net will automatically switch over to the new board.

What can I expect when the new board opens?

Your password will not be transferred, so in order to log in for the first time, you will need to initiate the password recovery and have your new password emailed to you via the email associated with your account. More in-depth details on how this process will work will be provided in the near future once we've had a chance to test out the process for ourselves.

So should I add an e-mail address to my profile?

Yes, and why the hell haven't you done that already!?

Will everything be alright?

Uh, sure.

Hug? :(

Sure, why not?

Some useful Links:

If you have any questions, ask them here so we can either answer them or ask the people in the know.