main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Movie and Television Character Draft (Champion/Dude/EF/Duncan lol/Winner --- EmpireForever!!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Losing Gandalf and Saruman are musts in my opinion. Both are excellent leaders (for hero or villain teams), but there powers are WAY too undefined if we only go by the movies.

All we see from Gandalf is some sword fighting, a beam of light flashing out to keep away the Nazgul, but doing no damage to them, and him heating up some weapons to beat Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli. And he can throw things around with his staff, basically TK. Just not enough to go on, and too many arguments on things that we haven't seen him do.

For Saruman, all he does is more of the TK, and show some smarts by breeding the orcs and the humans.

Again, just not enough to go on. I say ditch them for sure. Actually, all of the LotR guys could go, the rest aren't really all that useful. Just hand to hand combat that isn't that great, and an excellent bowman. I say get rid of the whole movie. Thulsa Doom should go too.

EDIT: And if the monsters are kept around (which I again don't think they should be), all the ones I posted earlier need to be added to the PL.

And I don't think we have enough warpers to make a PL out of them. Not to mention they vary too much in power.

2. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Yeah your right there probably isn't, but I mean I really don't think they are that all powerful. They can be defeated. I mean we have Luke in the Jedi draft. He hasnt lost a fight in years. I don't even remember the last time and no one says he is too tough. And in that draft, the prep doesn't even add as much as it does here. Many characters prepped could beat them. I know it would be rare for them to hit it them, but still is possible. Look at the Jedi draft we have a Kyle Katarn trumped with Exile vs Sidious. Now that is not a guarntee but it is as close as anyone has come to beating him in awhile, and like Luke no one wants him out. But that being said, I can understand why people want them out since they do add A LOT to teams

3. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    How many warpers are there anyways? I would think there would have to be at least 25 to be able to support 16 GM's. I don't think we have that many. And the powers of the warpers vary far too much from character to character.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    We almost need a book draft for LOTR and Harry Potter characters. The movies don't always do them justice.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah, actually, the LOTR guys are pretty good. That armor of theirs, top notch. Too bad no one argued that last time.

And movie only Gandalf and Saruman are way easier to judge than the book versions. They're not undefined. Saruman has his crystal ball, uber leadership, and some good TK. Gandalf, meanwhile, has great power over dark magic, and his magical sword, and the TK to match Saruman. No way you can lose those two. They are incredibly easy to judge going by the movies.

No, you're right about the imagination thing, Talon. It worked when they were kids because he believed that it could save him, and it did. Not sure exactly how that manifested(I suppose it could have been some sort of acid), but it did the trick nonetheless.

6. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I suppose they could stay. It might help to have "Only Movie" next to them, or something like that, so that people realize that only feats can be argued.

Still though, a big problem with them that I still see is explaining some of their powers. Specifically Gandalf heating up the weapons of his friends. GM's could easily argue plenty of other powers stemming from that, such as the ability to go so far as to melt opponents weapons, or freezing opponents. Things like that that can't really be explained or limited.

7. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Yeah I am not sure if it was acid, but that seems like something a kid would pretend would spray out

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004

Well, since he never froze anything, that's out. But heating his oppnent's weapons, yeah, why not? He didn't melt them, but did make them too hot to handle, so that's a reasonable argument, and doesn't need any explanation, to me.

9. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    But how can his heating things up be explained? Can he adjust the temperature of different things? Wouldn't that mean he would be able to freeze things as well? These types of abilities become implied, because there is no limit placed on them. Even in the movies, Gandalf's role is to play the guide. He came back to life for Pete's sake. He's just got these unknown abilities that can't be explained, or limited.

10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    The limit is that he heated up weapons to the point where nobody could handle them.

That's the limit, and the feat.

11. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Hypothetically, I would assume it was some sort of spell that made objects hot. Since he never used one to freeze a weapon, you can't simply assume that he has one. It doesn't matter HOW he did it, he did it, and since he didn't freeze anything, you can't just assume that he could.

And plenty of people on the list have come back to life, that wouldn't help him in a match scenario.

12. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    You don't neccisarily know that. Once again, you assume that. How do we know that he can't (and this may not make much sense - I'm not the smartest when it comes to this kind of thing) alter molegular structures, or somehow speed up and slow down molecules to change the temperature of objects. As unlikely as it sounds, it's possible, and gives Gandalf a TON of options.

Gandalf was sent by the Elders to Middle Earth with God-like powers. Even in the movie, it's HIS role to be that unstoppable force that can, more or less, do anything. He'd prefer unviolent methods, but he can do almost anything. That's his purpose in the storyline, to make sure verything "goes to plan".

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Jack Bauer (24)
    Leonidas (300)
    Profion (AD&D Movie)
    James Marshall (Air Force One)
    Jack Bristow (Alias)
    Syndey Bristow (Alias)
    Alien Queen (Alien series)
    Corpral Hicks (Alien series)
    Ellen Ripley (Alien series)
    Charles Gunn (Angel)
    Ilyria (Angel)
    Lindsey McDonald (Angel)
    Marcus Hamilton (Angel)
    The Beast (Angel)
    Evil Ash (Army of Darkness)
    Austin Powers (Austin Powers)
    Dr. Evil (Austin Powers)
    Number Six (Battlestar Gallactica)
    Beastmaster (Beastmaster)
    Egg Shen (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Lightning (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Lo Pan (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Rain (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Thunder (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Wang Chi (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Rick Deckard (Blade Runner)
    Roy Batty (Blade Runner)
    Abigail Whistler (Blade Series)
    Abraham Whistler (Blade Series)
    Blade (Blade Series)
    Blade (Blade Series)
    Deacon Frost (Blade Series)
    Drake (Blade Series)
    Hannibal King (Blade Series)
    Jared Nomak (Blade Series)
    Buffy Summers (Buffy series)
    Faith (Buffy series)
    Glory (Buffy series)
    Willow Rosenberg (Buffy series)
    Adam (Buffy)
    Caleb (Buffy)
    Rupert Giles (Buffy)
    The Master (Buffy)
    Warren Mears (Buffy)
    Connor (Buffy/Angel)
    Darla (Buffy/Angel)
    Drusilla (Buffy/Angel)
    Spike (Buffy/Angel)
    Wesley Wyndam-Price (Buffy/Angel)
    Angel/Angelus (Buffy/Angel) (specify incarnation)
    Lord Marshal (Chronicles of Riddick)
    Riddick (Chronicles of Riddick)
    Jack Ryan (Clear and Present Danger)
    John Matrix (Commando)
    Conan the Barbarian (Conan series)
    Thulsa Doom (Conan series) [Movie Feats ONLY]
    Balthazar (Constantine)
    Chas Kramer (Constantine)
    John Constantine (Constantine)
    Papa Midnite (Constantine)
    Li Mu Bai (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
    Alec (Dark Angel)
    Max Guevara (Dark Angel)
    John Murdoch (Dark City)
    Mr. Book (Dark City)
    Mr. Hand (Dark City)
    Darkman (Darkman)
    Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
    John McClane (Die Hard)
    The Doctor (Dr. Who)
    Wong Fei Hung (Druken Master 2)
    Muad'Dib (Dune)
    Paul Atreides (Dune)
    Profion (Dungeons and Dragons)
    El Mariachi (El Mariachi trilogy)
    Han (Enter the Dragon)
    Lee (Enter the Dragon)
    Cleric Preston (Equilibrium)
    Vice-Counsel DuPont (Equilibrium)
    Snake Plissken (Escape From New York/L.A.)
    Ash (Evil Dead series)
    Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
    Ming the Mercilous (Flash Gordon)
    Joe (For a Few Dollars More)
    Frankenstein's Monster (Frankenstein)
    Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th)
    Seth Gecko (From Dusk Till Dawn)
    Bill the Butcher (Gangs of New York)
    Egon Spengler (Ghostbusters)
    Gozer the Gozarian (Ghostbusters)
    Peter Venkman (Ghostbusters)
    Ray Stantz (Ghostbusters)
    Winston Zeddemore (Ghostbusters)
    Commodus (Gladiator)
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator)
    Henry Hill (GoodFellas)
    Jimmy "The Gent" Conway (GoodFellas)
    Tommy DeVito (GoodFellas)
    Martin Blank (Grosse Pointe Blank)
    Michael Myers (Halloween)
    Dumbeldore (Harry Potter)
    Harry Potter (Harry Potter)
    Hermoine (Harry Potter)
    Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter)
    McGonagall (Harry Potter)
    Ron (Harry Potter)
    Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
    Pinhead (Hellraiser)
    Hercules (Hercules: the Legendary Journeys)
    Broken Sword (Hero)
    Flying Snow (Hero)
    Nameless (Hero)
    Sky (Hero)
    Claire Bennet (Heroes)
    D.L. Hawkins (Heroes)
    Niki/Jessica Sanders (Heroes)
    Peter Petrelli (Heroes)
    Sylar (Heroes)
    Will Kane (High Noon)
    Connor MacLeod (Highlander)
    Duncan MacLeod (Highlander)
    Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez (Highlander)
    The Kurgan (Highlander)
    Sonny (I Robot)
    Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones series)
    Mola Ram (Indiana Jones series)
    Willie Scott (Indiana Jones series)
    Inspector Gadget (Inspector Gadget)
    Lestat (Interview w/ a Vampire and Queen of the Damned)
    Alec Trevelyan (James Bond Series)
    Auric Goldfinger (James Bon

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You're giving people credit for things they haven't shown. You judge it like you see it until someone shows you something different that is stated as fact. Molecular altering is not mentioned ever in LOTR, so no one should be judging that feat as speeding up the molecules of those weapons. It's obviously magical in origin, since that is where he draws his power. How he does it is besides the point, the point is he does that, and only that, and since there is nothing to say how he does it, that's all he's doing. Making something hot. Maybe there's a case to lose Gandalf, because he is supposed to be all powerful, but Saruman should definitely stay. And movie feat Gandalf is not a problem in my book.

Seriously...Walker. Come on, the Chuck facts are great...but just...

15. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I think there are still quite a few simple gunmen who could be trimmed off the list. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of them though, so I'll leave that to Shurron, EF, and Talon. We've added quite a few supernaturals who'll replace a lot of the "regular" guys.

As for the beast list, I'm not sure why you'd want to trim it that much. Doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't it be better to have at least 25-30 beasts there, to give more selection? Plenty of them (all but 16 to be exact) will get stranded anyways, so what's the difference how many there are? I think leaving only 3-5 on the list after everyone gets one leaves the picking too slim for the GM's who decide to pick their monsters in the later rounds.

16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I do have one name to add, and I think it's legit.

The devil guy from Ghost Rider.

He had some serious powers.

I'll come up with a list later tonight for the trimming.

17. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I suppose you convinced me EF.

Maybe I don't like just going with the movie Gandalf because he's one of my favourite characters ever, and I could definately see a lot of guys beating him in this draft if he only gets his movie feats, and that's it. Not a ton of characters mind you, but still, he almost certainly wouldn't warrant a 1st round pick.

And Saruman doesn's have a chrystal ball. I know you mentioned that a while ago, I just forget to say something. It's a Palantir, and it doesn't allow you to look into the future, only to see whatever all the other Palantir are looking at at the time.

And while we're talking about LotR characters, is Frodo there? And if he is, would he get the ring without prep? He's got the thing almost throughout all three movies, so I don't think I'd have a problem with him having it. And it'd certainly be valuable, and make him a very dabgerous character.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd think Frodo could get the ring, but would also very much not want to use it. Just like we see in the movies.

The reason I want to trim the Beast list is for strategy: if you can wait, and still pick from a dozen or so beasts, then there's almost no penalty to wait. If waiting means you have to get a significantly lesser beast, than you might just have to think a little harder about how long to wait to get your beast.

19. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Yeah, that's definately true. Although there are monsters that are significantly more powerful than others, such as Godzilla, Ghidorah, etc.

One step might be to just get rid of all time Mechas. Mechagodzilla, Machakong, etc. Maybe I'll go over that list now.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    These are the only guys I can even see cutting, and most of them are so awesome I would hate to see them go, I'm not saying to scrap them all, but I don't see cutting anyone else above these people:

James Marshall (Air Force One)
    Jack Bristow (Alias)
    Corpral Hicks (Alien series)
    Austin Powers (Austin Powers)
    Dr. Evil (Austin Powers)
    Beastmaster (Beastmaster)
    Jack Ryan (Clear and Present Danger)
    John Matrix (Commando)
    Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
    John McClane (Die Hard)
    Wong Fei Hung (Druken Master 2)
    Bill the Butcher (Gangs of New York)
    Henry Hill (GoodFellas)
    Jimmy "The Gent" Conway (GoodFellas)
    Tommy DeVito (GoodFellas)
    Martin Blank (Grosse Pointe Blank)
    Michael Myers (Halloween)
    Will Kane (High Noon)
    Willie Scott (Indiana Jones series)
    General Peter McAllister (Lethal Weapon)
    Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon)
    Mr. Joshua (Lethal Weapon)
    Roger Murtaugh (Lethal Weapon)
    Wah Sing Ku (Lethal Weapon)
    Charlie Eppes (NUMB3RS)
    Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
    Sgt. Barnes (Platoon)
    Ripley (Ripley's Game)
    Sam (Ronin)
    Vincent (Ronin)
    Detective Inspector Lee (Rush Hour)
    Hu Li (Rush Hour)
    James Carter (Rush Hour)
    Tony Montana (Scarface)
    Spartacus (Spartacus)
    C-3PO (Star Wars)
    Gabriel Cash (Tango and Cash)
    Ray Tango (Tango and Cash)
    Tarzan (Tarzan)
    Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver)
    Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre)
    B.A. Baracus (The A-Team)
    Col. John "Hannibal" Smith (The A-Team)
    H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock (The A-Team)
    Templeton "Faceman" Peck (The A-Team)
    Popeye Doyle (The French Connection)
    Hilts (The Great Escape)
    Edna Mode (The Incredibles)
    Hawkeye (The Last of the Mohicians)
    Britt (The Magnificent Seven)
    Chris (The Magnificent Seven)
    Vin (The Magnificent Seven)
    Damien (The Omen) (I mean, it's fine with me, I just thought we were getting rid of people like him. If not, awesome, he's pretty much the coolest character on the list)
    Buffalo Bill (The Silence of the Lambs)
    Clarice Starling (The Silence of the Lambs)
    Dr. Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs)
    Elliot Ness (The Untouchables)
    Frank Nitti (The Untouchables)
    Dana Scully (The X-Files)
    Fox Mulder (The X-Files)
    Alonzo Harris (Training Day)
    Jake Hoyt (Training Day)
    Casey Ryback (Under Siege)
    Little Bill Daggett (Unforgiven)
    Will Munny (Unforgiven)
    Little John (Various Movies) (Specify Incarnation)
    Robin Hood (Various Movies) (Specify Incarnation)
    Will Scarlet (Various Movies) (Specify Incarnation)
    Cordell Walker (Walker, Texas Ranger)

P.S.

Brock Sampson (Venture Bros.)

Inty, j00 teh r0x0rs

21. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Ok, I got it down to 19. Eliminated a few of the weaker, lesser known monsters, and got rid of some of the random flyers so there are only a few with flight ability. There are 19 now I believe, if we need 1-2 more, we could always add some mechs as stronger characters, or some of the weaker characters as well.

Anguirus
    Baragon
    Battra
    Destoroyah
    Rodan
    Gabara
    Gigan
    Godzilla
    Hedorah
    King Caesar
    King Ghidorah
    King Kong
    Manda
    Megalon
    Monster X
    Mothra
    Orga
    Rodan
    Titanosaurus

22. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    The Spaceballs guys could also be cut, I think. As awesome and funny as they are, they're still joke characters, and a little difficult to take seriously and not just assume anything they would try would screw up.

23. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I personally would add MechaGodzilla to that list again, out of all the mecha's he is the one who should remain on the list IMO.

EDIT: Other than that I basically agree with EF on the cut list he made, many of those characters are cool but they would have very little practical application in this draft and would have a very slim chance of winning against anyone who is worth anything in a fight.

24. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't even know how many that is, but those would be the only ones I WOULD cut. If you need to cut less, save some of the awesome characters.

25. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Yeah, I agree. And I think having around 5-6 monsters left over would be better than having 3. I think I'd lean towards adding MechaGodzilla, Mecha King Ghidorah, and another winged creature, which wouldn't be too hard to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.