main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Movie and Television Character Draft: Take 4 (matches in process!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Daggeron is not my favorite pick there of all time, but he's my favorite pick since, oh, I dunno, Sing? Yeah.

[image=http://www.pythonline.com/node/files/pythonline/weeping-angel.jpg]

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Edward might not be a first round pick, but I'm with JK - he's not a bad one. And it depends on who he goes up against, but I can see him winning a match. And Bella's is the only mind he can't read. Not just high school students, but ever. So it may or may not be that he can just read that he's going to have his ass handed to him, but he'll be able to read it.

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Yes, that's what The Yak wants from his first pick.

4. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I want a free tote bag with my first round pick.

5. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
  6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Time to break a pattern. And probably my cohesion.

7. Illyria (Buffyverse)

8. Glory (Buffyverse)
  10. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Not a bad pick? At #9 overall?

I just went down the list and counted up every single character that, in any sane world, Edward would not defeat in a fight, and I included the picks that were made before him. All these characters I counted would defeat him for various reasons. Either they're clearly faster than Edward, clearly too strong for him, more skilled or much more skilled than him, they have an ability or abilities that he has no counter against or he simply has no way to actually damage them. One of those reasons or, in many cases, a combo of two or more of those reasons.

These are the characters that should beat Edward with no debate. Or at the most you'd be able to say "Hey, well, maybe Edward might get lucky and win a small percentage out of a hundred matches against this person.". That of course means that Edward loses handily, but it's not totally impossible for him to win. You know how many people are on that list?

That's six and two-thirds rounds' worth of picks. But then after that, we also get into the characters that are very closely matched with Edward. Characters that can give Edward a pretty epic battle. It could be argued that Edward beats all the characters in this category, but by the same token, it could be argued that all of those characters could beat Edward. I didn't do a count of these guys, but I noticed a bunch of names while I was counting up the first category. There was at least 25 or 30 in this category. So now we're talking at least 100 or more characters on this list that can either maybe beat Edward Cullen in a straight fight or will beat him in a straight fight.

Oh, but we're not done. What happens when you add all the characters that might not be able to beat him straight up, but probably could if you put "prepared" next to their names? I'm not even going to look for a specific number here.

At #9 overall, how is that not a bad pick?

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Because he does have speed, does have strength, and does have the ability to read minds. That's not nothing. He wouldn't have been my first pick, but (and I'm not going to go through every character because I don't have that much time tonight) I think he can beat enough people that it's worth having him on a team. Maybe not first round, but I wouldn't dismiss him too easily. And as I said, we'll see when it gets down to who he goes up against.

12. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying. I'm not dismissing Edward. Nowhere have I said that he's worth nothing as a pick. He's got value and yes, he might win some matches. But he shouldn't be picked anywhere near the first round. It's in that sense that it was an extremely poor choice. He's more of a 7th or 8th round pick.

13. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Koragg, the Knight Wolf (Power Rangers Mystic Force)

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, okay, so he's not the best character in the draft. We can all agree on that. So maybe Tyi doesn't care about that. Maybe Tyi doesn't even care if he can win a match ever, and he just has a huge crush on him. It's still a bad pick. Why? Because, even if he really could not live without having Edward, he should have been there(and it's interesting that you came to 80 characters, because without counting I had him projected at round 7) for at least several more rounds, and he could just have easily waited until round 3, or 4, or even 5, and there should still have been people not even considering him.

Okay, but Tyi said something about having a new guy on the team. That's fine too, but even considering that, outside of two characters, I don't feel like any of the new adds belong in the first round. There are still a handful of the new guys that could have been drafted well above Edward.

And taking it even further, say Tyi just likes vampires. He thinks they're the bees knees. He's not even the best vampire.

He's just not the best in any category you put him in. At all. So...yeah, sorry, Tyi. That's a boo boo.

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    He's definitely tops on the list of people whose posters scare the crap out of Yak.

That could give him a victory or 2.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    So, yeah, with that, let's have some breakdowns. But first, I'm going to list my top five, just to kind of give you an idea of what I was thinking heading into the start of the draft. Through five, they are:

Agent Smith
    Willow Rosenberg
    Pinhead
    Neo
    Sing

So, really, that's pretty close to what happened, and I can't really fault anyone for taking Casshern at #4, because I had a tough time putting Sing over him (and who wants to draft that bum Pinhead? Not this guy). So, as you can probably tell, after 6 picks, I was pretty excited. People were getting into it. They were seeing what I was seeing. This round was going close to perfect; I mean, there is room in the top five for personal preference, and they can shift around there depending on GMing (I took Neo at #3 last time because I didn't want Pinhead), so having a different order to those five is not a big deal, and I still would have been revved up. And well...then the rest of the first round happened.

1) KiwiRogue- Willow Rosenberg (Buffyverse) *pre-power absorbtion from Giles*

I feel like this is a safe pick. Repeating last draft's #1 is a no-brainer. The only reason I don't put her over Smith is because I honestly don't believe she beats him in a one-on-one fight. She has never fought anyone as physical as he is, and I don't believe she's fast enough to handle him. Neo's a slightly different story, because he's not quite so vicious. Obviously, once you get her into teams, she becomes more valuable, but I can't look past Smith's abilities in a fight. The upside is she goes both ways. Take a hit to her power, slap the prep on her, and she's good, and so you have much more flexibility in your next picks.

2) musicevangelist- Neo (The Matrix) *no code-alteration powers*

Okay, so you're at #2, and you want to go hero. Really, it's like taking Yoda instead of Sidious, in my opinion. In the end, you are guaranteed to have no problem finding quality hero picks, so I can't really complain about this one, except Smith was still there. and Pinhead(bleh), so that sort of hurts the pick a little bit, but he was not outside of your options, which is good.

3) Talon_Kenobi- Agent Smith (The Matrix)

So, in my opinion, you got the best value for your pick, by now that much is obvious. Smith's there, you take him. There should have been zero thinking involved in this, and so I can't really commend you as an amazing GM.

4) Shadow_of_Durron- Casshern (Casshern)

I can't really disagree with the pick. I know I said he was outside of my top five, and Sing and Pinhead are still there, but he's right there with them, and I've had quite enough of Sing, so I probably would have done the same thing right about now, just to mix up my picks. Since my options are between the sewing accessory and Sing, I'd definitely give him a shot here(I did suggest him to the list so I could get the chance to draft him, after all).

5) Drac39 - Pinhead (Hellraiser)

And, as we already know, this is the right move. There's only one really committed villain team out there right now, and the list can definitely handle a few more. Besides, he's a beast(if a total lamer), and you can't pass that up.

6) BaSSiL - Sing (Kung Fu Hustle)

I was sort of feeling down on Sing for a little bit. His feats weren't impressing me as much as Neo's, and it just felt wrong giving him hero spot #2. But then I started rewatching some of his fights, and my faith was restored. He's just so resilient and skilled, and he absolutely schools his final opponent in absolutely everything, including, if I am recalling correctly, Organic Chemistry(maybe the translation was off). Anyway, yeah, with Neo gone, and his new competition already off the board, he's the obvious hero route.

And then the unthinkable happened...

7) Evil_King_Wiggins - Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter)

Okay, I won't pretend like Voldemort is Earnest Byner or anything like that, but it could have been better. Not in a team ruining, Michael Meyers first round pick kind of way, but it could see some improvement. It

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    It's all about the man-crush, man.

One thing I'll mention for Shurron's benefit is that Edward's mind-reading ability isn't based off of the willpower of the person he reads. But meh, glad I could fire the draft up.

Anyway, man-crush continue:

Sylar

18. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Round 1.
    1) KiwiRogue- Willow Rosenberg (Buffyverse) *pre-power absorbtion from Giles*
    2) musicevangelist- Neo (The Matrix) *no code-alteration powers*
    3) Talon_Kenobi- Agent Smith (The Matrix)
    4) Shadow_of_Durron- Casshern (Casshern)
    5) Drac39 - Pinhead (Hellraiser)
    6) BaSSiL - Sing (Kung Fu Hustle)
    7) Evil_King_Wiggins- Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter)
    8) Captain-fantastic- Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
    9) Tyi-Maet Nefer- Edward Cullen (Twilight)
    10) RX_Sith- Imhotep (The Mummy)
    11) The_Loyal_Imperial- Illyria (Buffyverse)
    12) Despised1 - Daggeron *gold* (Power Rangers).

Round 2.
    1) Despised1 ? Peter Petrelli (Heroes) *no time stopping*
    2) The_Loyal_Imperial- Glory (Buffyverse)
    3) RX_Sith- Koragg (Power Rangers)
    4) Tyi-Maet Nefer- Sylar (Heroes)
    5) Captain-fantastic- ON THE CLOCK
    6) Evil_King_Wiggins-
    7) BaSSiL-
    8) Drac39-
    9) Shadow_of_Durron-
    10) Talon_Kenobi-
    11) musicevangelist-
    12) Kiwi-Rogue-

Draft List

Big Trouble in Little China
    Egg Shen
    Jack Burton/Wang Chi
    Lightning
    Lo Pan
    Rain
    Thunder

Blade series
    Abigail Whistler/Hannibal King
    Abraham Whistler
    Blade
    Deacon Frost
    Jared Nomak

Buffyverse
    Adam
    Angel(or)Angelus/Spike
    Buffy Summers
    Caleb
    Faith Lehane
    Marcus Hamilton
    Rupert Giles
    The Beast
    The Master
    Warren Mears
    Wesley Wyndam-Price

Casshern
    Burai
    Barashin

Constantine
    John Constantine
    Papa Midnite
    Balthazar

Dark City
    John Murdoch
    Mr. Book
    Mr. Hand

Ghostbusters
    Egon Spengler/Peter Venkman
    Ray Stantz/Wiston Zeddemore

Harry Potter series *A and B-level material allowed only up to Half-Blood Prince*
    Bellatrix Lestrange
    Harry Potter/Hermione Granger/Ron Weasley
    Lucious Malfoy
    Severus Snape
    Sirius Black

Hellboy *movie versions only*
    Abe Sapien
    Hellboy
    Johann Krauss
    Kroenen
    Liz Sherman
    Prince Nuada

Hero
    Nameless
    Broken Sword
    Flying Snow
    Sky

Heroes
    Adam Monroe
    Claire Bennet
    D.L. Hawkins/Niki/Jessica Sanders
    Elle Bishop

Highlander
    Connor MacLeod/Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez
    Duncan MacLeod
    The Guardian
    The Kurgan

James Bond series
    Alec Trevelyan
    Auric Goldfinger/Oddjob
    Dr. Julius No
    Francisco Scaramanga
    James Bond
    Jaws

Jumper
    David Rice
    Griffin
    Roland Cox

Kill Bill
    Bill/Elle Driver
    Gogo Yubari/O-Ren Ishii
    The Bride

Kung-Fu Hustle
    Coolie/Donut/Tailor
    Landlady
    Landlord
    The Beast

Lord of the Rings *no B-level material*
    Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas
    Frodo Baggins/Sam Gamgee/Merry Brandybuck/Pippin Took
    Gandalf
    Saruman

Power Rangers *specify incarnation(refer to attached list for available rangers)*
    Black Ranger
    Blue Ranger
    Gold Ranger
    Green Ranger
    Pink Ranger
    Red Ranger
    Silver Ranger
    White Ranger
    Yellow Ranger
    Benglo
    Camille
    Kamdor
    Karone
    Mig
    Zeltrax

Push
    Agent Henry Carver
    Kira Hudson
    Nick Gant
    Victor Budarin

Serenity
    Jayne Cobb/Malcolm Reynolds/Zoe Washburne
    River Tam
    The Operative

Shaolin Soccer
    Steel Leg
    Team Evil Captain

Star Trek
    Borg Queen
    Data
    James T. Kirk/Spock
    Jean-Luc Picard/William T. Riker/Worf
    Khan Noonien Singh
    Lore

Star Wars
    Boba Fett
    Chewbacca/Han Solo
    General Grievous
    Jango Fett

Stargate
    Apophis
    Ba'al
    Daniel Jackson/Teal'c
    Jack O'Neill/Samantha Carter
    John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan
    Rodney McKay
    Todd

Supernatural
    Azazel
    Castiel
    Dean Winchester/Sam Winchester
    Lilith
    Ruby

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles *movie versions only*
    Donatello/Michaelangelo
    Leonardo/Raphael
    Shredder
    Splinter

Terminator series
    Cameron Phillips
    John Conner/Kyle Reese/Sarah Conner
    T-800
    T-1000
    T-X

The Covenant
    Caleb Danvers
    Chase Collins

The Forbidden Kingdom
    Golden Sparrow/Jason Tripitikas
    Lu Yan
    Ni-Chang
    Sun Wukong
    The Jade Warlord
    The Silent M

19. captain-fantastic

captain-fantastic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2007
    I'll take Shane Clarke, Red Wind Ranger (Power Rangers Ninja Storm).

20. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Crud, everyone I wanted for my second pick is gone. I'll be awhile. :(

Evil.

21. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Well, I certainly know what I'd pick...

22. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Why aren't there more Resident Evil chars? Nemesis? Jill/Whats-is-name?

Wesgar if they ever show him doing something in the movies...

23. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    The Beast - Kung Fu Hustle

Evil.

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Sorry for my disappearance fellas, but it's nice to see this on track again. Nice work setting it up JK. I'm at least glad to see you guys came to the right conclusion and ditched me before having to wait 24 hours on my first pick. lol

Some seriously cool added trumps btw. But honestly, forget the Arnie trio, the SW/SB duos, even the Al/Marlon combination. This:

Joe (Dollars Trilogy)/Doc Holliday (Tombstone)

is the absolute coolest ****ing thing I've ever seen in my life. Kudos.

Edit: One more thing. I feel kinda strange every single time I see Neo chosen before Smith - I mean, I suppose I can see the merit for team reasons, but I dunno. For such a straight comparison, it's odd that the clearly more powerful character gets chosen second every single time. It's like taking The Beast before Sing. Okay, maybe not on that level, but the situations are similar. Why? Why is it done?

25. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Hey, hey, hey! Don't call attention to any more of my picks!

And it could simply be because the person who made the pick wanted to build a hero team. It's like EF said, I can't fault someone for picking Willow before Smith. Between her potential usefullness in teams, her wider variety of abilities and her moral flexibility, she's kind of a safer pick, even if she'd probably lose to him in a classic fight. And then... yeah, maybe he just wanted to make a hero team. And I'll tell ya straight up, if Smith had made it past Talon, I would've passed on him as well. It may have been a tad foolish, but I wanted to make a hero team and I'm going to be making at least a few foolish choices anyways.

Btw, second round's looking a lot better so far, guys. Looks like I might've been worried for nothing.

26. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Was the hug because I made a decent pick? Or because I finally broke down and accepted that Power Rangers are decent? Or is it a sympathy hug because I went and wasted my first pick and passed up on a some really good picks that I missed?

I am really not sure. :p

27. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    If you choose every pick I mentioned in that last post, I'll mail Fedex you a muffin. Dead serious. You would deserve it.

It happens every time though. Neo over Smith - and it's not just power you're losing out on either. You picking Cardboard Keanu over frickin Hugo Weaving. Elrond. V. The greatest voice in cinema. I mean, c'mon.

Btw, we should have Elrond on the list.

28. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I didn't take Neo over Smith(last time).

JK, you removed the names of the Rangers who were taken from the Ranger list, but you didn't remove the color from the main list. I don't think we want all of those rangers available to pick...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.