main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Movie and Television Character Draft: Take 4 (matches in process!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    But I don't think Koragg or Tyzonn would stand up to either Illyria or Glory, or even the white witch for that matter.

Can't... type... jaw... too slack.

No, but seriously... really? Because I think they're both superior, each by a pretty solid amount. Neither Glory nor Illyria has given us anything that's really even close to the best showings of Koragg or Tyzonn.

And Koragg >> Saurman in terms of magic. Really, it's an utter blowout.

And they're easily better fighters...?

2. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006

Return of Evil-5 vs. 5-~Two Bees in a Bucket~
    Agent Smith (The Matrix), Syndrome (The Incredibles), Burai (Casshern), T-1000 (Terminator), Megatron (Transformers), Agent Johnson (The Matrix), Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th), Lilith (Supernatural), Gabe Law (The One), Viktor (Underworld), Apophis (Stargate), Lord Marshall (Chronicles of Riddick), T-800 (Terminator), Caleb (Buffyverse)
    vs.
    Daggeron (Power Rangers), Peter Petrelli (Heroes), Severus Snape (Harry Potter), Ironhide (Transformers), Seraph (The Matrix), Sirius Black (Harry Potter), Landlady (Kung Fu Hustle), Landlord (Kung Fu Hustle), Morpheus/Trinity (The Matrix), Coolie/Donut/Tailor (Kung Fu Hustle), Jean-Luc Picard/William T. Riker/Worf (Star Trek), John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan (Stargate), Nick Gant (Push), Cleric Preston (Equilibrium)

I am really having trouble here. But I think I can give it to Return of Evil. I think Syndrome is more important than Snape. Working with the terminators and Megatron, as well as, I think, probably having something to use against someone like Peter and Nick. The numbers would be something, if I didn't feel like the evil guys were just more powerful, even with mismatches. I think Megatron can certainly take Ironhide, and Caleb could probably handle all of those extra bodies on his own, if everyone else was matching up 1-on-1. They have a lot of bodies, but they give up a bit in power at the same time. There's really no answer to the magic, but then there's really no answer for the technical upgrades either. I'm sure the bees will be strapped, I just don't think they have enough power. There are probably a few cohesion hiccups with Evil, but I don't think it's a serious problem with most of the team preparation.

Return of Evil

Nebulous Evil-5 vs. 5-Power Trippin'
    Illyria (Buffyverse), Glory (Buffyverse), White Witch (Chronicles of Narnia), Gabriel Yu-Law (The One), Zeltrax (Power Rangers), Saruman (Lord of the Rings) *no B-level material*, Predator (Predator series), Lightning (Big Trouble in Little China), Mig (Power Rangers), Benglo (Power Rangers), Ba?al (Stargate), Cameron Phillips (Terminator Series), Marcus Hamilton (Buffyverse), Kroenen (Hellboy)
    vs.
    Imhotep (The Mummy), Koragg (Power Rangers), Tyzonn *silver* (Power Rangers), Kira Ford *yellow* (Power Rangers), Karone (Power Rangers), Frozone (The Incredibles), Selene (Underworld), Data (Star Trek), Hellboy (Hellboy), Michael Corvin (Underworld), Jack O?Neill/Samantha Carter (Stargate), Lucian (Underworld), Alien Queen (Alien series), Grindor (Transformers)

Yeah, I was going to disagree with this one. It's pretty complex, but simply put, they've just got more power. There's no one really working incredibly well together, but taking Gabe that high is a mistake, Saruman is toast, Predator is not that great. Marcus at the bottom makes it interesting, but I can see a lot of these people falling, and, yeah, sorry, but Illyria and Glory are not even on the same level as those two Ranger picks. I think they'll begin to turn the tide, if it is a little drawn out.

Power Trippin'

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I should have really done some research and dug into the possibility of an EMP taking out all the techs in this fight....which while it would remove my Star Trek tech and Ironhide it would also remove Syndrome, T-1000, Megatron, Apophis & T-800 from the fight from the very start....which I think would give me a bit of an advantage, especially when you consider that my top end is magically powered.

Oh well, wasn't really interested in digging into the match and doing any research at all.

4. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Just for reference, who on your team might have access to an EMP, or was that what you needed to research?

5. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    That was the part that needed research. I would think that Morpheus could maybe get one (wasn't one used in one of the movies for the defense of Zion?), if the loading program during prep was considered valid he should be able to secure one though...or possibly the Star Trek guys could figure out something...but I would need to verify that first to be sure.

Taking Megatron and Syndrome as well as both of the T's would definately have helped though, if it was possible. No worries, too late to bother with it now.

6. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Bah, I think your severely underestimating the Buffy girls here. Show me something that I think would take Illyria down. BTW, I take it were viewing Illyria before she gets powered down. Else it should have been stated in the draft list. Again, nothing can take Glory down apart from the Troll's Hammer. And I dont see one of them, floating around.

As a matter in general, I think the Power Rangers are being viewed abit too highly, they got some speed and a little extra strength, and occasionly some cool toys. [face_plain] Thats a matter for another time though.

We need a tie breaker from NYCityGirl

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think I'm going to have to go with Two Bees in a Bucket and Nebulous evil.

8. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Again, nothing* can take Glory down apart from the Troll's Hammer. And I dont see one of them, floating around.

*in the Buffy universe.

I'm certainly not arguing their case again, but whatever you say.

9. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Again, nothing* can take Glory down apart from the Troll's Hammer. And I dont see one of them, floating around.

*in the Buffy universe.

Actually, even that's not true. Let's see here... oh yeah, Willow was able to hurt her with magical energy, only she wasn't nearly powerful enough at the time to finish the job. That wrecking ball that she was hit with also knocked her for a loop, though it too wasn't enough to finish the job.

Gee, who on that team can hit MUCH harder than a wrecking ball and is capable of using magical energy that's FAR more powerful than anything Willow was capable of in season 5 and is also a MUCH more skilled combatant than Glory? Is it Koragg? I think it just might be.

EDIT: You know what? Just forget what was originally here. I'm with LuigiFever here. I just don't want to get into it any more. It's depressing. You don't wanna bother acknowledging any of the huge multitude of Ranger arguments that have already been made in the past (including tons and tons of videos that have been posted for your convenience), that's fine. Some people just absolutely refuse to hear it and simply aren't going to change in that respect. They're sticking to their guns on that one.

Maybe we just need to get rid of them next time. I know that I'm not exactly attached to any of them from a character standpoint, and it's just becoming too much of a pain in the ass. I'm tired of trying to "educate" people on them when they're just shutting their eyes as tight as they possibly can and jamming their fingers into their ears.

10. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Sorry. "supposedly nothing in the Buffy universe". Whatever.

11. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    It took me forever to get over my hang-ups about Power Rangers, still hate most of them because the shows are painful to watch..but still one can not continue to deny their power after you sit down and actually look at what they can do.

12. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I agree that they should be taken out completely. The draft is somewhat lessened by Power Rangers. It has become the guy with the most power rangers wins. Also, as a judge, it is painful to sit watching through all these videos, of 'apparently' great powers being shown. When really, its one power ranger against another, and a load of fancy explosions. I think the reason that most people have problems accepting it, is because there is no real root to reality.

Regardless, new matches. Get your numbers in.

Warner Brothers Conference

Teikoku Alexanders ? 2-0 (11-9)
    Nebulous Evil ? 2-0 (11-9)
    The Return of Bruno ? 1-1 (10-10)
    Return of Evil ? 1-1 (9-11)
    ~Two Bees in a Bucket~ ? 0-2 (10-10)
    Power Trippin' ? 0-2 (9-11)

Universal Pictures Conference

Altus Obscurum(The Hidden Darkness) ? 2-0 (13-7)
    The Rulers of Oblivion ? 2-0 (12-8)
    Rorschach and the Shell Beach Bums ? 1-1 (11-9)
    Need More Trenchcoats ? 1-1 (8-12)
    The Rainbow Connection ? 0-2 (8-12)
    Turning the Tyide ? 0-2 (8-12)

Nebulous Evil vs. Teikoku Alexanders
    The Return of Bruno vs. ~Two Bees in a Bucket~
    Power Trippin' vs. Return of Evil

Need More Trenchcoats vs. Rorschach and the Shell Beach Bums
    The Rulers of Oblivion vs. Altus Obscurum(The Hidden Darkness)
    The Rainbow Connection vs. Turning the Tyide

Well there seems to be alot of close matches in there. Should be interesting. You shall have 24hours for PM. However those of you who have not given numbers by tonight. I shall give you a quick PM, just to make sure you know that the new match is up.

13. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I think the reason that most people have problems accepting it, is because there is no real root to reality.

Just...okay.

All right.

No. Yeah. Okay.

I. All right.

14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I concur.

Also...

Also, as a judge, it is painful to sit watching through all these videos, of 'apparently' great powers being shown.

I'm curious as to how you even know it's painful. You clearly haven't watched any of 'em.

Numbers in a bit.

15. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004

Actually Iv sat through hours watching them.

An example of what I mean. Take this video.

First of all they are fighting in the trees. One guy jumps of a tree with a powerful attack, tree doesn't even shudder. Ok next moment, Koragg boots him into a tree, tree doesnt move or shudder.

Later on in the video Koragg, does some explosion thing. The result of this explosion was the power ranger, who wasnt even powered up being thrown what 20 yards and he's fine.

Takethis video. Those guys are kicking little stone tablets, and they aren't even breaking. Another point, it may not have been glass, but several times, the panels both have people thrown into, and at one point even has a sword run down it. And practically nothing happens.

I will agree however that Koragg's power is quite in impressive in how he managed to blow a chunk of wall off. But Glory for example, takes out an entire building because she gets a little bit frustrated and lightly punches a support.

Bah, I still don't know why I'm arueing this. Its quite obvious that we will never agree.

16. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003

... Why is it such a difficult concept to grasp that the reason that the trees don't always shake or the stone tablets don't always break is because of budgetary reasons? Why does that never sink in? I thought this was went over in detail last time. Guess not.

I guess I'll quickly spell it out one last time. For old time's sake.

These. Shows. Do. NOT. Have. The. Budget. Of. A. Summer. Blockbuster. Action. Movie. They don't even have the budget that most other television shows have to work with. Their budgets aren't as big as what Joss Whedon was working with on Buffy, and Buffy didn't have much of a budget, either. And yes, Buffy and Angel both suffer from budgetary constraints as well, which often prohibits their characters from showing off the full extent of their powers (Supernatural has this problem as well). But none of these are as bad as what the Power Ranger shows deal with.

It costs MONEY for them to do something as seemingly simple as making so that a tree "shakes" or gets uprooted when someone gets knocked into them that hard. Money they just do not always have. It costs money for them to break props and sets to give us an impression of significant battle damage. Again, money they do not always have. It costs money to give us computer-generated effects of one of the Rangers getting knocked hundreds of feet through the air after taking a strong attack. Money they simply do not always have.

YOU CANNOT TAKE THAT KIND OF STUFF AT FACE VALUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST BECAUSE EVERY ONE OF THEIR FIGHTS DOES NOT END WITH THE BATTLEFIELD BEING COMPLETELY DESTROYED, IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY'RE NOT STRONG!!!!!!!!!

They simply do not have the budget to make it so that every one of their fights looks like a big-budget, epic confrontation like Neo and Smith's final battle.

But that doesn't mean that they have no money, and on occasion, they will use what money they have to show us just what it is these Ranger characters are truly capable of. THOSE moments are what you have to look for. And they ARE there. Plenty of them.

Here is one. Just one of many that you didn't bother to look at. Skip to the 5:00 mark and watch what Nick's attack does and then what Koragg's counterattack does. And beleive me, that isn't even close to their best displays of power. Either of them. But both attacks, despite not even being close to their most powerful, are DEFINITELY something that would put a serious hurt on the likes of Glory or Illyria. Do you not agree that Glory could be hurt by something like that?

Also, the feat you just mentioned for Glory? Yeah, that's completely false. I already remembered exactly what happened, but to be absolutely sure, I just popped the episode in and watched it.

The entire building did not collapse because Glory got a little bit frustrated and lightly punched a support.

Here's what actually happened:

A portion of the building's ceiling fell onto Glory's head because she got quite a bit frustrated and stamped her feet with considerable force, like a child thowing a temper tantrum. The entire building was still very much intact, I'm afraid. She did punch a support during the fight, but that's not why some of the ceiling fell on her.

Man, it didn't occur to me until I was about halfway done with this that I said I was done doing arguing these things, but I was far enough along that I just finished. Whatever.

Oh, and also, unmorphed characters can get hit with these attacks and shrug them off because it's a show targeted at children. Most any Ranger character absolutely has shown strength that would make them capable of taking a normal person's head clean off with one punch. But... it's KID'S show, man! There just isn't going to be any fountains of blood or severed heads and limbs or agonizing, tortured screams as a character lays there with their intestines hanging out afte

17. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Oh, and also, unmorphed characters can get hit with these attacks and shrug them off because it's a show targeted at children. Most any Ranger character absolutely has shown strength that would make them capable of taking a normal person's head clean off with one punch. But... it's KID'S show, man! There just isn't going to be any fountains of blood or severed heads and limbs or agonizing, tortured screams as a character lays there with their intestines hanging out after having been slashed by a baddie's sword. It's just not that kind of show.

Well, also, most Rangers have some semblance of their power even in unmorphed form, so they aren't exactly "normal", even when they aren't suited up. Significantly less powerful than they would be morphed, but not on the same level as a normal human being. That is from my observations, at least.

18. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Hey I do agree with what your saying, Glory would have been hurt by those attacks. But you really think they would be hurt by some of Glory's attacks.

I'm not saying the Power Rangers are completely weak and useless. They are powerful, and belong generally whereabouts they are being picked.

Im merely arguing that they are very overrated. And not quite as good as you guys keep making them out to be.

EDIT: I have had enough of this arguement anyway. Lets leave it at that. Peace Shadow and Empire [face_peace].

On another note, I have been watching through Supernatural. It's freaking awesome. It's close to being my favourite show of all time. I am pretty sure the clincher will be the Season 2 Finale, which I'm told is brilliant.

19. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Matches up later today. And Im still missing 3 sets of numbers. [face_plain]

20. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Name and shame time. Evil_King_Wiggins was the only set of numbers to be simmed.

Matches. First number... 7

Nebulous Evil-0 vs. 0-Teikoku Alexanders
    Zeltrax (Power Rangers) vs. Dean Winchester/Sam Winchester (Supernatural) *PREPARED*

The Return of Bruno-0 vs. 0-~Two Bees in a Bucket~
    Egon Spengler/Peter Venkman (Ghostbusters) *PREPARED* vs. Severus Snape (Harry Potter) *PREPARED*

Power Trippin'-0 vs. 0-Return of Evil
    Kira Ford *yellow* (Power Rangers) TRUMPED w/ Karone (Power Rangers) vs. Megatron (Transformers)

Need More Trenchcoats-0 vs. 0-Rorschach and the Shell Beach Bums
    Angel/Spike (Buffyverse) TRUMPED w/ Buffy Summers (Buffyverse) vs. Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street) TRUMPED w/ The Tall man (Phantasm)

The Rulers of Oblivion-0 vs. 0-Altus Obscurum(The Hidden Darkness)
    Deacon Frost (Blade) vs. Lucious Malfoy (Harry Potter)

The Rainbow Connection-0 vs. 0-Turning the Tyide
    Agent J (Men in Black) *no B-level material* *PREPARED* vs. Victor Budarin (Push) *PREPARED*

21. musicevangelist

musicevangelist Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    The paranormal is the normal for my guys. Freddy is not going to scare them at all as two of them are vampires and the other a vampire hunter. They all have lots of experience dealing with demons. Angel and Spike both have hundreds of years of fighting experience. All are strong and durable.

22. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Yes, and what about The Tall Man then??

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah, The Tall Man is a formidable foe. Freddy has shown insane durability, and has taken severe beatings. Anything Buffy could inflict on Freddy was done by Jason at the end of Freddy vs. Jason. Same with the Tall Man, he has been beaten to a pulp and still comes back. I think they are far too smart to fall into any easy traps. The Tall Man is centuries old and not of this earth, he has gained tremendous knowledge over time. Death is a trivial concept to him as he has the abilities to raise the dead. What of the Tall Man's silver spheres? Silver kills vampires and The Tall Man has been known to muster several hundreds of these at certain times.

24. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Steady there Drac, don't get your vampires mixed up. Spike/Angel are not allergic to silver. Infact the only ones that are which I can remember are the ones from True Blood. That said I havent seen the old vampire movies.

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    In the BtVS world, werewolves have a problem with silver, not vampires.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.