main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA The Movie Critics' Corner

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    So as not to "clutter" the movie date listings thread, I'm creating this thread so people can talk about movies and/or read about opinions/reviews of others and then discuss...

-TJ

2. Jedidoria

Jedidoria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2006
    ARRRGGGG! (Just kidding...being a pest...:D )

3. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Well, hey, we've all got to do what we do best... even if that isn't very useful. :p

4. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    Hey, what I do best is very useful.

5. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Well titled TJ. :) See we are thinking alike. Sorry. :) Now go forth and debate to your hearts content.

6. Marric_Korde

Marric_Korde Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 16, 2006
    YOu made this pretty little space and no one is talking movies or stuff[face_worried]

7. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    Because we do such a good job at taking threads off topic.[face_whistling]

8. csarrico

csarrico Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2007
    Oh my god people. I just noticed this thread though oh what a nice idea, then i come in, and where the heck is the darn movies. I'll put the first one on.

Fool's Gold: Movie was AWESOME!! Michele and I saw it on V-Day and yesterday. That movie is sooooooo funny. If you haven't seen it, then GO FORTH and see it. It's a romantic Comedy, that is very funny, and I think all will enjoy it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770752/

that web address should take you to the right place.
    Now, lets see if we can stay on topic now. HAHA

9. darthmetalhead2

darthmetalhead2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2007
    Sorry it took me so long to post a message but being I can't log on the internet at work anymore..I'm usually not available between the hours of 3:55pm to 12:45.

My first big movie debate is about Hayden Christensen (I haven't seen or even heard of Fool's Gold-csarrico so I can't comment on that but I'll check out the trailer and maybe see the movie sometime :)

But anyways. I finally got to see Life is a House and Shattered Glass. First I understand that many people have pre-conceived notions about Hayden. I for one do not have a problem with Hayden's acting at all. Personally what Hayden was portraying in the 2 Star Wars films was perfect. For him to go to the dark side he needed to show that his emotions were not in check. I personally can relate to Anakin. A few years ago I probably wouldn't have lasted very long in a club like this because my emotions were extemely out of character by taking things too seriously and throwing hissy fits over the stupidest things. I was very emotional and at one point I was about to go to the dark side. When TJ was offering his opinion regarding Rambo and AVP2 with me..I would have gotten so upset that I would have done things or acted very unproffesional that I would have gotten kicked out of the Rogue Group.

That said..Life is a House was the first film I saw tonight and that film was released 2 years before Star Wars: Attack of the Clones was released. I won't spoil the movie but he played Kevin Kline's son..Jenna Malone, Scott Bakula and Kristen Scott Thomas were in that film as well. The only thing I'll say is where Hayden went from one extreme to another during episodes 2 and 3. He did the same thing in Life is a House but in a different way. I don't think Hayden is a one dimensional actor at all. And trust me I'm not being biased because Belda loves him so much. I watched these 2 films with open arms and was watching these 2 films without being biased. Life is a House was a very emotional movie and it has a 7.4 rating on imdb.com I highly recommend this movie to anyone out there. The movie isn't a true story but something is happening in this movie that could happen to anyone. Great job by Kevin who played the father as well who is also becoming one of my favorite actors (he played the engineer in Wild Wild West with Will Smith)

Shattered Glass was made between Episodes 2 and 3 and again a tremendous film. This time he's playing a real person named Stephen Glass and it cleary shows his acting abilities. Again I won't spoil the movie but the fact that it's getting a 7.5 rating at imdb.com and that he clearly played the character very well regaring a real person who worked for an editorial firm. Once again he is highly entertaining actor and now having seen him in both Star Wars episodes 2 and 3 plus Jumper, Shattered Glass and Life is a House..with 2 more movies in the works along with Awake coming out on DVD on March 4th..he's increasingly becoming one of my favorite actors. You never hear about him in the tabloids..he does his job and goes home. He always brings his mother and grandmother to shows like Regis and Kelly and/or Jay Leno which he was on tonight. I truely believe people need to stop judging Hayden just for what he did in Star Wars and actually watch him in other movies. I've given him a chance and I think he's great..again not because of Belda..oviously I will be buying majority of his movies simply to make Belda happy but also because he like his acting...anyway's enough ranting for now..talk to y'all later :)

Alex

10. Marric_Korde

Oct 16, 2006
    To assume that an opinion is strictly based upon a single movie is both pretentious and missinformed, I have made my assesments on bodies of work rather than look or single film. My opinion has not only been proven but if you bothered to read all the reviews of your "precious" Hayden you would notice a trend, his hollow performances when they involve a female interest lead people to never buy in to the relationship aspect of any character he plays. Is it the director if multiple films he is in get knocked due to his acting? I could say his portrayal of Ani was bad and therefore i dislike him or blame Lucas, but his continued poor performance under the direction of other directors leads me to soley place the blame on his acting ability.

11. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    Please understand that I'm not singling anyone out..I go to many message boards every day not just this one and majority of the people that don't like Hayden only saw him in Star Wars 2 and 3..and they refuse to watch any other body of work and that don't have any other way to back up their words.. PLease understand that this was just for a general public..I'm pretty sure that people come to this board and lurk all the time and never become members.

Also Hayden must be doing something right..you have actors like Samuel L. Jackson who are willing to work with Hayden again..and he got 14 award nominations and 1 win at the Golden Globes. Again his ratings for those 2 specific films that I mentioned are well recieved among many film sites around the world including imdb.com and flixster.com getting around 4/5 stars or 7.5 out of 10. Are they perfect? No. But compared to many other films those films are doing quite nicely. Also George Lucas is one of those directors that says jump left..and you better do it. Hayden is one of those actors that follows directions otherwise Lucas or any other director would have fired him and gotten someone else. It appears that sometimes that Hayden gets a bad rap for his good looks but his career is just starting and he's still maturing. He is not going to bad mouth or tell directors what he wants to do because then he may not have a job. He's not quite like Sam Jackson or Sean Connery yet and he knows that he better follow the directors lead otherwise he may not be working anymore. He is not my "precious Hayden" but I'm beginning to understand his acting abilities and I think he has a fine career ahead of him.

Alex

12. PadawanBeldaPinik

PadawanBeldaPinik Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2005
    hello there my beloved Rogues,

i know i dont post often but i feel it be necessary to atleast let my opinion maybe be heard. i am not singling Anyone out, when i post this. This post is based upon my own interpertations and feelings of Mr Christensen.

Like DarthMetalHead, i have seen alot of Mr Christensen's movies, and enjoy seeing Him. i feel truelly blessed to have a Husband whom is willing to allow me to be a fan of such a wonderful actor like Mr Christensen. Mr Christensen to me is a well rounded actor Whom has a lot of potentual, and this is not based upon His handsome features. i stand by my Husband and say Hayden is a great guy. i have seen Mr Christensen on interviews, wow! what a sweet guy!! i must say i am taken by His compassionate yet charming ways. He has a wonderful sense of humor too. But this is just my own opinion, i will hold Mr Christensen close to my heart as a dear sweet guy :) my hope it to oneday to maybe meet Mr Christensen and tell Him how wonderful i think He is... Though that dream seems out of reach for me, i know that if the Force will's it, it'll happen. Im my opinions, if You totally hate Him, i am ok with that, if You love Him i am more than happy to share Him with You.

Force Gently guide You through all Your endevers and lead You safely back home :)

13. Nasus_Sivad

Jan 19, 2006
    I am just amazed that Hayden is getting so much attention when there are others that we can agree to disagree on. :)

All I know is that he played a whiny teen that was totally believable to this parent of a teen. Haven't seen anything else he has been in so can not comment further than that.

Belda I understand your feelngs. When you like an actor, you like that actor. Some of my favorite movies, actors and actresses are considered by many to not be talented, or deep, or whatever you use to describe a performer. :) At least you are consistant in your regards for Hayden. :)

Next movie.......

14. MaraJadeEmperorsHand

MaraJadeEmperorsHand Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2002
    "Fools Gold", nothing nasty about it,I also thought highly of it, decent reteaming of Kate Hudson and Matthew McConnaughy and good for a few laughs, definitely recommend it for the PG crowd.

"The Bucket List" also very funny, who doesn't love Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman ?

"30 Days of Night" with Josh Hartnet pretty good idea, not your basic horror flick.

"Beowulf" ehh, not among my faves, I actually preferred "Beowulf and Grendel" with the Gerard Butler and Sarah Polley - that was a good version of the poem.

15. Quinlan_Vos_1

Quinlan_Vos_1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2007
    My sentiments exactly!

16. Marric_Korde

Oct 16, 2006
    I would concur, i was really saddend when they didn't release it for a US theater viewing(I almost went to canada to watch it).

17. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Darth Dikum asked me recently when he and I engaged in the hangings-out what movie I was looking forward to most this Summer... they'd have to be Indy IV and Dark Knight.

-TJ

18. Quinlan_Vos_1

Quinlan_Vos_1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2007
    have you seen the upcoming figure of Ledgers' "Joker" homage? Look very good.

19. csarrico

csarrico Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2007
    my personal opinion, I think almost every movie with Hayden in it (except Star Wars of course) is horrid. He is just way to much of a winey actor, and that Star Wars role he did, kinda ruined all his other roles for me. Michele says the same, since she never gets on here to post, i get to incorperate it with mine me says.... *sigh* oh well...haha

20. darthmetalhead2

Feb 16, 2007
    Sorry Susan I didn't mean to start anything bad..I just wanted to get something off my chest regarding Hayden. I agree with you.. I guess some people love him and some people hate him. Oviously you enjoyed what he did in the Star Wars films and that's great. I just wanted to post some messages regarding films that he was in..I never meant to start anything bad. But I agree..I guess we just need to move on..Belda and I enjoy Hayden's work not just in SW..but in other works as well. Not everyone can like the same thing.

BTW, csarrico..I haven't seen Fool's Gold yet but I am interested in seeing simply for Donald Sutherland. However, that is one film I'm going to wait for on dvd..just due to time and money. But again I love D.Sutherland as an actor and a few other stars in the movie intrigues me about this movie as well :)

Alex

21. Nasus_Sivad

Jan 19, 2006
    Thats okay Alex. I think Hayden is just one subject the group needs to agree to disagree on. That is the beauty of a group like this. We bring so many different ideas, likes, and interests to the table. Would be totally boring if we all thought alike. :)

I didn't even realize he had made other movies so that was news to me. :) I am also not a big Natalie Portman fan either. I could have done without either of them to tell you the truth but Hayden did do whiny good. I don't know if it was Natalie or the storyline but I was so disappointed with how it ended for them. She was suppose to be this strong woman that lead a planet, senate, and other things but she just went "I can't live without him" and then just died. Not thinking that she should be there for her children. She didn't want them enough to survive but she would die for him. Just didn't understand how she could be weak and strong at the same time. NOT!

Oh well, just my opinion. :)

You watch alot of movies, I don't know where everyone gets the time to watch them all.

22. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Yes we're all like a big family (ducks karate chop from nasus) :)

I'm not so wild on Natalie Portman in the prequels either. Like Hayden, I think she was just fell victim to weak scripts.

For better or worse, Hayden, Jar Jar, and Jake Lloyd have more or less become the prime targets for the disappointment a lot of people feel about the prequels.

23. Nasus_Sivad

Jan 19, 2006
    So I guess you are the sarcastic (family member. :) There is one in every family. :)

So is that what it was. I haven't watched anything else she has done either so didn't have a gauge. I liked the prequels but hate the endings.

24. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Rather then things like weak script/plot, a focus on the visual spectacle... I mean LOOK of the films... and the poor decision to personally direct the movies...

-TJ

25. MaraJadeEmperorsHand

MaraJadeEmperorsHand Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2002
    Grrr I am so bummed ! A friend of mine totally blew the plotline for "Vantage Point" !!! I was looking forward to seeing it this coming weekend and poof, now it's kinda ruined... Have to pick something else I guess, hmmn "The Other Boleyn Girl" maybe. What I can't wait to see are the trailers !!! Come on Indy !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.