The Movie & Television Character Draft 3: Nothin' or Double - congrats, EF

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Zizz, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Are you telling me McGonagal is going to whip out those spells in the first moments of the match without the benefit of prep? Highly doubtful. And once again, watch "The Incredibles", Frozone's ice blasts don't move even half as fast as a bullet. He won't be taking a "face full of ice" while at the same time ripping out M's throat, it simply won't happen if you take a look at Frozone's abilities.

I have the movie, my kids watch it often, he isn't going to be hitting Drake.

And without prep, I have a hard time seeing how the trump is going to be this fine oiled machine that you are suggesting it will be. Will they try to help each other? Sure. Will they need time to really find a groove and work well with each other? Absolutely. Do they have that time? No.

If Drake takes even one hit he is going to punish someone quickly...and they have no real defense to stop him from killing them right off the bat, and the other will follow shortly afterwards. While on the other hand Drake has a lot of defense, and just as much offense. Even if he is hit by one of the spells you suggest, he does have proven regeneration abilities that is going to work against the effects.

EDIT: OK, sleep on it. I am not going to post more on this, I am shocked I even have to argue either of these matches to be honest.

I am going to make one last post on the Robocop match, watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdELisKpP4

Notice how Robocop stands there while that martial arts guy kicks him onto his back, then just sits there while his fingers get chopped off? Think Davey and Ni-Chang are going to be any less effective, especially while coming at him at the same time and having Lightning somewhere in the mix throwing bolts at him? Sorry, but based on how fast and tactical Robocop is in the films...prep on him isn't all that. He gets his weapons regardless, and his tactical style is to approach slowly and gun it out with people. He has done that over and again. Only problem here is that his biggest threat is immune to his weaponry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otX6zo2q4z8

Here is a longer clip of the ninja fighting Robo, notice the extremely slow and robotic movements of Robocop? He has never been shown to be quicker or more agile and prep isn't going to solve that you know. Ni-Chang and Davey are both far superior in skill, agility and speed to this ninja, and he took him apart up right up to the end. Now that was just one guy against Robocop. Robocop is going to get tore up in a fight against these three, I won't even suggest that all three of my trump would live, but there is no way Robocop would walk away from a fight like that.

Here is another little clip of Robocop showing his tactical thinking, the first 2 times he shoots RoboCain it is ineffective so what does he do? Shoot him more. Quick thinking Robocop, way to go. Also, that is a nice showing of his combat style, which prep also won't fix. His style is 100% stand up and shoot it out, very little creativity or originality is shown at all. That isn't going to work here against this trump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGCo2unA-k&feature=related

Oh nice look at what I found....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIKk3F_9Wls&feature=related

That was Robocop vs a big taser...Robocop is almost put out of action. Lightning brings far more than that, and there won't be a cable to remove and stop the electricity from coming. One hit, that is all it takes and he is on his knees. From there either Lightning keeps hitting him, or one of the surviving trump members cut him up. Done deal.

Robocop wins?
  2. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay, to clarify, I'm still on the side of the trump here, but hoo boy, are you ever selling Robo short there.

That fight with the cybernetic ninja is indeed a very poor showing for Robo. One of his worst, no doubt. But that cyborg is actually very, very strong and I think (please don't make me watch Robocop 3 again just to confirm :p) that there was something special about that blade as well that made it... sharper or somesuch. That ninja is quite fast and skilled, actually, but that fight was crappy because, well, it's a crappy movie. But even though Ni-Chang is faster, I don't see her cutting up Robo like that lame ninja did. At least, not nearly as easily.

But anyways, while you were so readily pointing out the bad things from those clips, you had to know that we'd also see some of the outstanding stuff as well. Like, did you happen to notice Robo catching a bullet in that trailer? Not to mention him rocketing around at extremely high speed with that jetpack he'd definitely have with the prep?

As for the Robocain fight, yeah, he did shoot at him and then just do it again and again. But did you notice why? He shoots him with that incredibly powerful rifle, which is the one he used to pwn ED-209 at the end of the first film (so it makes sense for him to think that's got as good shot as any at pwning a similar robot that he's not entirely familiar with yet, seeing as how he basically prepped for that fight). But even though it proves ineffective, he shoots Robocain with it again. Why? To get his attention back on him and stop him from shooting at the innocent people fleeing from the auditorium. And then he discards the rifle but then shoots at Robocain again with his pistol. Why? To take out that very, very powerful shoulder cannon that was putting some severe dents in our hero. And he was successful in taking it out. He pops off a couple more shots after that, because, well... what the hell else was he going to do? He was kind of in a bad position at that point. He was backing up towards the exit, but then got clocked by Robocain little extending limb trick.

But taking the whole fight into account, Robo comes off pretty damned well, IMO. He shows some fairly epic durability and ends up using a pretty clever little trick which put him in a position to win the fight, which is contrary to your suggestion that he doesn't display any good tactical thinking.

I am sticking to my guns on that one, but at the same time, you should probably know how close I think Robo could be from pulling off the win. It's pretty much just Lightning and Robo's proven weakness to electricity that wins it for the trump. And the thing is, Lightning could get taken out in this fight. I don't see it happening, but it's possible. After seeing first hand that bullets have zero effect on him (even if the prep file tells him bullets won't work, I still see Robo trying a few shots anyways), Robo could attempt to take him out with a melee weapon. Remember the retractable spike he has that pops out from his fist? Well, he uses it to interface with computers, but he also showed that he can use it to kill someone when he did it in the first movie. That would work, I think. Problem is, I don't see him getting close enough without getting fried. And certainly not with two other fighter harrassing him. Maybe every once in a while (like, say, once or twice, supposing they fought this ten times) I could see Robo pulling some insane stunt like, for example, doing a fly-by on Lightning using the jetpack with his spike extended, impaling him at high speeds before he can get toasted. If he did that, he'd win the match. But, while possible, I don't see it working often enough to give it to him.
  3. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    I am not going to post more on this, I am shocked I even have to argue either of these matches to be honest.

And I'm utterly shocked that you sincerely believe these matches to be unworthy of argument. Don't kid yourself - even though you're going to like what you're about to hear, they're both still very close matches that, IMO, could certainly go either way.

But with that said, you convinced me. I gave it some thought this morning, and I think I was underestimating just how quick Drake can move. He's still no Sing, but he's surely quick enough to avoid most of what the trump can bring. I actually do think the match will go on for quite a while, but that's more of a benefit to Drake and his endurance than it is to the trump. And you're right, it is pretty much a one-shot and they're down type of deal, considering the trump's complete lack of any durability. So yeah, Drake. Sorry for the miss-call earlier.

I still like Robocop though, and again, the fact that you believe the match to be unworthy of argument is a testament to just how much you're underrating Robo here. Perhaps to the same extent I was underrating Drake. ;)

If Drake is so far and away too fast for the other trump (neither of whom have shown any advanced speed) because he dodged a bullet, what does that say about Robocop against his trump (none of whom have shown any advanced speed) considering he caught a bullet? Some pretty incredible reflexes if you ask me. I don't think it's going to take some sort of miraculous scenario as Shurron suggests for Robocop to do in Lightning. There's a chance that Robo fails to execute, and if that happens and the fight gets out of hand with the three trump members attacking him simultaneously, he probably won't make it out alive thanks to Lightning's abilities. But that chance isn't as overwhelming as Robo devising a simple scheme to blow the living hell out of Raiden-lite before the match has time to escalate. And as I say, the other two are nothing more than nuisances. Davey might leave some minor battle scars, but nothing that could end the match. Ni-Chang and her whip? lol

There's a chance Lightning escapes an initial onslaught - but that chance isn't high enough. I'll stick with Robocop.

So we just need Nat to clarify her position on the second match, and then we can move on.
  4. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    So prep means that Robocop offs all 3 of these guys at once? Prep means that all of a sudden Lightning is vulnerable to modern weapons, even though he isn't? Nice.

~sigh~

Let's just move on.
  5. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Why are you pretending Lightning has withstood this?

Please, for the love of god, understand the difference between bullets and grenades/missiles/flamethrowers. Please.
  6. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh I understand the difference just fine. You seem to think however that changing the damage source to fire (because really, all missles and grenades are is fire and shrapnel) instead means Lightning down like quicker than a....well you fill in the blank.

Robocop uses guns 95% of the time, he is about the slowest moving robotic type in this draft, and in each film it takes him forever to come up with alternate forms of offense. He faced RoboCain 3 times before finally accepting that guns won't do jack to him, and only then tried to go for the brain. Hell in the 2nd confrontation he came in with a huge rifle, then when that didn't work he pulled out his pistol....which was proven from earlier not to work. That sure is quick thinking.

Why are you pretending that Robocop is some fast moving, quick thinking, tactical genius who is immune to pain and can one shot this entire trump all at once? It would also be nice if you would at least recognize that Lightning can put Robocop on his knees with just one blast....you know....because that taser clip pretty much confirms that exact scenerio is a realistic option.

The triple trump has the means to put Robocop on his knees in one shot with a single hit from Lightning, in order for Robocop to win he has to miraculously off Lightning within the first seconds of the match. Which one do you think would be easier to pull off?
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I'm going with the trump.

Zizz, is that an official flop for you on the first match? If it is, I'll go back and view some of those clips and Shurron might need to judge that as well.
  8. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    I think he officially switched on Drake, and Durron stated earlier that he would have voted for Drake so that one seems to be finalized if I am not mistaken.

If you are voting the trump over Robocop, then I think that one goes in my favor as well since Durron said he would vote for them as well.

Thank you guys for taking a second look and keeping an open mind to my rants (regardless if is confirmed to go for or against me once the 2 matches are finalized), it is much appreciated and thanks as well for putting up with my endless posting on the subjects. Especially you Zizz, you are always a good sport and it is fun to verbally spar with you. [face_peace]
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Ah, missed Shurron. And yeah, second match is done.
  10. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, right back at you man. I will say that for "the slowest moving robotic type in this draft", he's still got the reflexes to catch a freakin' bullet. How many characters can we say that about in this draft?

And did he not pull out the pistol and take out one of Cain's major offensive weapons? Seems like it was a smart tactical move to me. I think that during 24 hours of preparation with a file that clearly states "bullet-proof", he'd eventually come to the conclusion that perhaps the pistol isn't the right course of action in this particular situation.

But that match is over. Next match.

Vegeta (0) vs Despised (2)

Angel (Buffyverse) TRUMPED w/ Buffy Summers (Buffyverse) vs Durza (Eragon) *Prepared*
  11. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Still, slow...molasses...sloth even. :p

Gah! Another tough match. Dang dude, this isn't getting any easier as it goes. [face_frustrated]

Let's see here, Durza being prepared is going to be able to have summoned the Ra'zac...which in this fight will be nothing more than distraction fodder for the trump. He will also have summoned the shadow dragon, which will allow Durza to stay far out of reach of that trump.

There does seem to be two specific things worth mentioning however that IMHO give Durza a distinct advantage in this fight.

1) "Vampires cannot be killed except by beheading, fire, or penetration of the heart by a wooden object."

2) Buffyverse vampires from the TV show don't fly, from the Buffy film they do...but not the tv show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_(Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer)

Both of these things give Durza a great advantage against the trump, seeing as his main form of attack is in fact and endless supply of massive fireballs and with the prep he will be riding dragonback high above the trump's reach. This trump is very much vulnerable, and seeing as they don't have prep on themselves they won't be carrying weapons because they normally don't in the shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LFPtZ0f0c (this is just some Durza stuff, very short but showing some of what is important for this fight)

Also remember that Durza can teleport in a way, turning into shadow and reappearing thus avoiding injury. He is also extremely strong, and his finger nails are sharp enough to penetrate armor and poison victims. He also has that flaming sword, and agility enough to leap from dragonback and land on another dragon with ease. Not that he should be fighting face to face thanks to his prep, but if needed he still has the ability to not get taken down immediately.

Upon further consideration, this match doesn't seem all that bad. The trump has specific limitations and weaknesses that seem to suit Durza's abilties very well.
  12. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, Durza doesn't lose this one. Buffy and Angel have their strengths, but long range combat isn't really included, especially without prep. Durza's got plenty of options to toy with here.
  13. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Durza. With no prep for Buffy and Angel, he's exactly the kind of opponent that would beat them soundly in an initial encounter only for them to regroup, form a gameplan and then kick his ass in a season finale. That type of thing. Though, even without prep, I wouldn't totally write off the trump's chances. For example, Angel does have experience fighting dragons. But no, Durza would just be too much. Too many surpries he'd have in store for them.
  14. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Vegeta (0) vs Despised (3)

Jason Lee Scott [Gold Ranger] (Power Rangers: Zeo) vs Imhotep (The Mummy)

Oh me oh my. I would naturally think Immy, but this is more or less a gamebreaker. Despised wins this match and he officially wins the round when forfeits are taken into consideration. I'm going to review both characters just to be certain.
  15. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Jeez. Yeah, that one is pretty damn tough. I dunno, though... I might tend to think that magical energy as strong as the stuff granted by that staff is going to be capable of causing damage to the mummy. You gotta think both guys are going to be pushed to their limit in this match. Must ponder further...
  16. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh good lord, why is it that none of these are getting any easier. What makes this fight horrible for me is that I know next to nothing about Power Rangers....and yet I still know this is one of the more powerful ones if not the best (probably a toss up between him and Tommy?).

Make your call judges, you both know the Rangers far better than I do and you are as familair with Imhotep as you possibly can be. There is nothing I can really say for this one that people don't already know.

The nice thing here is that even if I lose, I still have Voldemort, a prepared trump and the Beast on deck. With some luck one or two of the opponents power players will fall into my forfeits and make a win here easier. Off to a lucky start though, the matches are going in my favor.
  17. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Well jeez. I just sat through a day of Power Rangers, and I've got to say - not impressed. I thought I had seen some pretty impressive clips of Jason as the Gold Ranger - but having watched (or skimmed) through every episode from Zeo, starting at "A Golden Homecoming" (Jason's first appearance) and finishing at the end of the series, I can safely say I was mistaken. For that I guess I should apologize. I mean, he's no bum, but all he really showed was your standard Ranger skills; hand to hand combat, a few blasts here and there, one quick run-through of about 5 villains zapping them with lightning. But apart from that, zilch.

Unless I missed something big, I see absolutely no way Jason could have a shot in hell at beating Imhotep. Hell I'm thinking back to that Jason/Zhane match and wishing I could have my vote back. And I reviewed Immy as well today - just as insanely powerful as I remember. The mummy wins with a little difficulty, but not nearly as much as I would've originally thought.
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I second Imhotep. It would take a powerful ranger to beat him.
  19. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Unless I missed something big

That'd be an understatment. *sigh*
  20. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Well, you know, luckily for Jason, he is one.

and yet I still know this is one of the more powerful ones if not the best (probably a toss up between him and Tommy?).

Ner, not exactly. In the draft, it's probably more of a toss-up between Trent and Nick.
  21. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Possibly...

Also, I will elaborate on my previous comment a little later on. No time for it right now.
  22. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    That'd be an understatment. *sigh*

Well hey, from what I understand I've got every episode with Jason in it on my computer. He never showed anything even remotely as impressive as, say, that clip of Tommy's ridiculously huge blast that you posted a while ago. Point me to an episode friendo.

PS. I'm not giving the win to Immy yet. I'd like to hear what Shurron has to say first.
  23. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
  24. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm actually not gonna point to any episode. Funny thing is, by watching all those episodes, you've actually seen more of Gold Jason than I have. I've watched a few here and there, but never did get through all of them (Btw, I applaud your courage for stomaching that much, sir, Kudos.). It's not about some ridiculous feat he has that you missed.
  25. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    To be fair, there's no way I could have legitimately gotten through all of them. When I said I skimmed, I really skimmed. They're so formulaic that it gets easy to guess when you have to stop.

Opening "everyday" scene
    First fight
    Second "everyday" scene
    Second fight
    Zords

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I doubt I'll change my vote, but I'll await your post nonetheless.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.