The Movie & Television Character Draft 3: Nothin' or Double - congrats, EF

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Zizz, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    The funny thing about Power Rangers though is that they forget there own continuity. For one thing the Mighty Morphin coins should have been destroyed yet they still show up for team ups and when they do, they are always leading and seem more powerful then the new power rangers, that are suppose to be upgrades. Like if you watch Forever Red, for me it seems that Tommy and Jason are far above all other Red Rangers. And in one of those team up episodes I think Adam (the second black ranger?) comes back and he is clearly better then any of the rest, IMO
  2. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Jason is stated to be the best Red in that episode. All of the other Reds look up to him. Probably because, I dunno, he's always been better(to that point)? What is your point with that again? He was supposed to be better.

It's not canon that makes new rangers look more powerful, and they're certainly not all supposed to be upgrades. They're not ignoring anything when Adam shows up in his original costume:

Adam revealed to Alpha, who was also helping, that he had kept his broken morpher and damaged Mastadon Power Coin, but Alpha warns him not to morph with it as the Morphing Grid was destroyed, rendering it highly unstable. When they were attacked, as Carlos left his morpher behind, Adam took the risk and morphed into the Black Power Ranger once again. Seeing Adam take the risk of morphing renewed Carlos' confidence, and he became a stronger Ranger.

Adam still had his Mastodon Coin, which still worked, in his appearance in Power Rangers in Space.

The reason that Adam is made team leader is because he has the most experience out of the rest of the Rangers(which seems to go a long way in the Rangerverse), since he's been doing it for a lot longer(the rest of his team in Once A Ranger had all only done it for one season).
  3. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Far above all the rest? I didn't really get that from the episode at all. They're generally treated as the most experienced, but in terms of the actual combat, no one really stood out from anyone else except for the "new guy", actually. Even though he gets punked in the ground combat and Jason has to step in and save him or whatever, it was the Wild Force guy who pulled off what might be the single most impressive feat by any one Ranger. Ever.

Without any power-ups aside from using his bike (that somehow gets traction and makes screeching noises in space), he powers through a blast from a zord that's specifically said to have enough power to destroy a planet and then destroys the thing. And I totally forgot to include that in my little tally, earlier. Make that three occasions when a Ranger destroyed something of that size without any zords themselves.

EDIT: But yes, the PR shows are definitely not always consistent. Plenty of times I've come across things that just don't seem to gel at all with previous showings, so continuity hardly seems to be their primary concern. *shrug* It's a kid's show. Whaddya gonna do?
  4. Talon_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    By continuity I mean Jason shouldn't have a morpher he gave it up when he left didn't he.

I think Tommy seemed to be viewed as the Red Rangers the newer Rangers, although I think Tommy viewed Jason as the best or at least The Red Ranger. I mean it was stated but just the feeling I get.

Although I like the end when the new rangers says there goes the greatest Ranger ever (in referring to Tommy) and all the other disagree
  5. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Shirley, are you counting Mack's feat without even his armor?
  6. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    You're right, I didn't have to watch very many episodes. I went through the first five, but I pretty much knew right after the second. Power of the Phoenix what? Nick wins. Close match as has been said, but Nick is really quite powerful, very skilled, and I can only imagine how much better he gets towards the end of the series. Voly's a top pick in the draft, but he's outmatched in this one, and I don't think a killing spell is going to save him.
  7. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Oscar Conference

Team Sea Slug (4) vs The Galactic Mayhem Misfits (5)

Emmy Conference

Angry Kids with Rocks (4) vs Team Evil Monkey (5)

Ten.

Oscar Conference
    Location: Dorian Gray's Library (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Jango Fett (Star Wars) *Prepared* vs Adam (Buffyverse) (forfeit)

Emmy Conference

Data (Star Trek) *Prepared* vs Ni-Chang (The Forbidden Kingdom) (forfeit)/>

8. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
  9. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Oscar Conference

Team Sea Slug (5) vs The Galactic Mayhem Misfits (5)

Emmy Conference

Angry Kids with Rocks (5) vs Team Evil Monkey (5)

Two teamies! Okay!

Oscar Conference
    Location: Dorian Gray's Library (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Neo (The Matrix)
    Trent Mercer [White Ranger] (Power Rangers: Dino Thunder)
    Cam Watanabe [Green Ranger] (Power Rangers: Ninja Storm)
    Sirius Black (Harry Potter)
    Jango Fett (Star Wars)
    Sonny (I, Robot)
    Griffin (Jumper)
    Agent J (Men In Black)
    Elastigirl (Elastigirl)
    Li Mu Bai (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
    Abigail Whistler (Blade)
    Han Solo (Star Wars)
    Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)
    Jack O'Neil (Stargate)

vs

Agent Smith (The Matrix)
    Koragg the Knight Wolf ["Other" Ranger] (Power Rangers: Mystic Force)
    General Grievous (Star Wars)
    T-1000 (Terminator series)
    The Tall Man (Phantasm films)
    Adam Monroe (Heroes)
    Adam (Buffyverse)
    Lucian (Underworld)
    Chip Thorn [Yellow Ranger] (Power Rangers: Mystic Force)
    Selene (Underworld)
    Viktor (Underworld)
    Caleb (Buffyverse)
    Warren Mears (Buffyverse)
    Spike (Buffyverse)

Emmy Conference

Sing (Kung-Fu Hustle)
    Jason Lee Scott [Gold Ranger] (Power Rangers: Zeo)
    Nick Russell (Red Mystic Ranger) [Power Rangers: Mystic Force]
    Minerva McGonagall (Harry Potter)
    Frozone (The Incredibles)
    Wolverine (X-Men)
    Data (Star Trek)
    Vida Rocca [Pink Ranger] (Power Rangers: Mystic Force)
    Buffy Summers (Buffyverse)
    Robocop (Robocop)
    Faith Lehane (Buffyverse)
    Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek)
    Rambo (Rambo series)
    Angel (Buffyverse)

vs

Imhotep (The Mummy)
    Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter)
    Durza (Eragon)
    Lightning (Big Trouble in Little China)
    The Beast (Kung-Fu Hustle)
    Drake (Blade)
    Marcus Hamilton (Buffyverse)
    Commander Cody (Star Wars)
    The Scorpion King (The Mummy)
    Ni-Chang (The Forbidden Kingdom)
    Ba'al (Stargate)
    Davey Jones (Pirates of the Caribbean)
    Profion (Dungeons & Dragons)
    Lindsey McDonald (Buffyverse)
    />

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Two team battles in the semi finals.

That's impressive.
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    For Oscars I'm leaning toward Sea Slug, though that's just a priliminary and I can easily change my mind with a good argument.

The second I need arguments, because that's tough.
  12. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    We've actually already had the first battle in the final round of the regular season, and EF won that based more or less solely on cohesion.

The second is a little more difficult, although I definitely lean towards AKWR, based on depth and cohesion.
  13. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
  14. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Depth? Rambo and Picard aren't exactly high quality backfield fighters IMO. Really they are little more than meat shields who can carry a weapon.

Data and Robocop may also be facing a limited lifespan in this fight, seeing as my team has specific weaponry which is made only to take out this type of opponent. Let's also keep in mind that Data has been put out of a fight countless times in TNG by weaponry designed to shut down electrical systems, most of it less sophisticated than what SW has to offer. Over the course of 7 seasons he was vulnerable to this type of stuff over and again (more often than not wielded by people with less combat skill than Cody), so to say that 24 hours of prep will change that reality is a huge reach.

Also Stargate tech + Star Wars tech >>>> Star Trek tech, prepared my lesser picks will be amped up with personal shields, personal cloaking devices, and some extremely good weaponry....AKWR's lower level picks will at best have phasers. Not too sure how much of the Power Ranger stuff is able to be shared, doesn't seem like stuff that is able to be shared, but I could be wrong.

Magic, don't know. Seems like it could be a push, maybe a bit of an advantage to my favor now that Voldemort is prepared. Durza is also probably going to have summoned his Ra'zac fodder and the dragon, which helps to tip favor of numbers and the dragon specifically adds a lot of power to my team.

I think magic and tech seems to favor me, and I don't see AKWR's as having a superior backfield really. Cohesion definately goes against me however, and then it really depends on what prepable benefits the PR characters can offer.

Go ahead and judge, I don't really have time to offer up a more in depth argument than this.
  15. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oooh, no. Haven't even seen that. The seasons I've definitely seen the least of are Overdrive and Jungle Fury. OO wasn't even finished during the last drafting process, and neither was JF for this one and no one picked any OO peeps, so I haven't bothered yet beyond some scattered clips here and there. Sounds... interesting, though.

Anyways, I'm more or less decided. I'll judge tomorrow sometime.
  16. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    The only reason I've seen it is because it takes place in Once A Ranger Part 2. To say the least, it has improved my opinion of the Red Sentinel Ranger, given that he does it with only Excelsior and without an actual connection the Grid.
  17. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Whoa. Jebus.... Okay, make that four times.
  18. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
  19. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    I was away for the weekend, and won't have any time for this until tonight at the very earliest. I'll try though.
  20. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sorry, it was a fairly hectic weekend and, so far, week for me. I'll get to this soon enough.
  21. Zizz Jedi Master

star 4
    Really sorry about this wait fellas. I'm working 12 hour days at the moment, and I'd do my research tonight if the basketball game wasn't there to occupy all of my attention. Hopefully this weekend.
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Right now I'm leaning toward Evil Team Monkey, though Angry Kids With Rocks is impressive. I'd have to see arguments from GMs/fellow judges to switch at this point.
  23. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    [image=http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/Dinkus_Mayhem/untitled2.jpg]
  24. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay, finally.

So, yeah, first match is easy enough (I wasn't around when this match came up before, was I?). Well, not easy. But not disputed, so I won't say much on it.

Despite the horrible cohesion, Sea Slug is not going to walk over a team that has that many potent individuals. It'll never happen. And by the way, unless it's made an official rule, I'm sticking to what I said in the anti-draft. Crap cohesion, to me, doesn't mean that teammates are going to be killing eachother during prep time. RX drafted 14 characters, and that's what he gets, as far as I'm concerned.

But anyways, that junk aside, the cohesion does hurt that team in other ways. There's probably going to be far too much bickering for any really good strategy talk to take place, and the teamwork will likely be non-existant once the match starts. And the team needs that stuff. Because even though it might be a bit more impressive individually, it ain't by that much. So no need for a bunch of detail. Bottom line: The complete lack of cohesion on the opposition wins the match for Team Sea Slug.

So now for the other match. Getting it out of the way, my vote goes to Angry Kids with Rocks. And here's why:

The cohesion on Evil Monkey may not be anywhere near as bad as it is on RX's team, but the cohesion gap is nearly as big as it was in the previous match, anyways. And that's less the fault of EM and more due to the ridiculously good cohesion on AKWR. I mean, what's the worst possible thing anyone can say about the cohesion on that team? Ummmm... well, sometimes both Wolvie and Rambo have shown be loners. But then, both have also shown to be able to work very, very well with a team when they have to. So that's pretty much nothing. And then maybe one can say that Buffy and Faith could possibly cause a couple sparks despite the fact that they're no longer really enemies and have already shown that they can work together. Fair enough, but the presence of Angel would almost certainly completely negate that. So not only are there really no negative cohesive issues, but there's also just a ton of great positive connections, both established and even some good theoretical stuff (like perhaps McGonagall and the Mystic Rangers).

The worst thing you can say about EM? Well, there's a good possibility for a little hate triangle between the Beast, Marcus and Lindsey. Not as bad as the Underworld stuff going on with RX's team, simply because none have ever specifically interacted with eachother that we know of, but still, definitely potential for ugliness. Also, maybe now that Imhotep isn't powerless and doesn't have to kneel to him, there could be some issues with the Scorpion King. And then there's the classic villain team ego problem. It sucks, but unless you're extra-super-duper careful when drafting, villain teams are going to have ego problems. Just the way it is. And I see some doozies on this team. Especially up top, where it can hurt the most. And especially when one those top guys is not clearly more powerful than the others. I don't see anyone who can can really establish dominance and maybe squash the ego crap before it starts. So the planning and teamwork of EM is not going to be anywhere near as good as AKWR. Not because EM has the worst cohesion out there, but primarily because AKWR has, IMO, the best.

But the single most important factor about the match isn't even the cohesion, I think. It's that, taking cohesion out of the equation, AKWR is still the better individual team. More specifically, each team has a very clear-cut top three. Sing, Jason and Nick vs. Imhotep, Voldy and Durza. And looking at it, I have to be honest here. Put them into whatever combonation of matchups you like, I would not vote for any of EM's top three over any of AKWR's top three. That's... huge. Huge. AKWR has the three best fighters in this match. If that's not a deciding factor for a team battle, I just don't know what is. Yes, depending on who fought whom, some of those matchups would be more
  25. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_talk_hand]

:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.