main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Movie & Television Character Draft 3: Nothin' or Double - congrats, EF

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Zizz, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Didn't that trump beat Snape earlier in the draft?

Anyway, agree.

One.

FINALS!!!!!!!

Team Sea Slug (1) vs Angry Kids with Rocks (1)

Trent Mercer [White Ranger] (Power Rangers: Dino Thunder) vs Jason Lee Scott [Gold Ranger] (Power Rangers: Zeo)

One would be inclined to think Trent based on showings, but then there's the whole argument we got into last time about the development of special effects on the show. Bleh. The Gold Ranger is pretty potent as one of the "special" rangers, so I think I lean in his direction. But I'll wait for an argument from EF if he wants - not sure if we'll hear from Vegeta, she's in Japan without an internet connection from what I understand.

2. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    This, to me, might be a case where the fact the lack of a decent budget ends up hurting Jason enough. He's still up there, but against another elite-type, it hurts that we can mostly just speculate instead of actually knowing. I'll look at a couple more things, but odds are I'm gonna have to say Trent wins.

3. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Your hypocrisy makes me sick.

4. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Awwwww. *pinches Zizz'z cheeks*

5. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    That's it, you struck a nerve. I'm going to kill Jeffrey Parazzo, and there's nothing you can do about it.

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The only thing I'll bring up is looking at Jason's feats while Gold, and then looking at Trey's. Obviously there's a bit of a difference, and it calls to mind the old arguments for Captain Britain. Sure, he's wielding the sword that can destroy the universe, or whatever, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he can utilize it to its fullest potential.

Gold's staff may well be one of the most highly regarded artifacts in the history of the series, but the fact that it is Trey, and not Jason, who has shown that he's capable of utilizing it more fully says something, I think.

Jason's still a top ranger, but he's never handled Tommy in the way that Trent has, on multiple occasions. Granted, Jason never used his Gold powers to fight Tommy, but something tells me Tommy's Black Ranger powers are a bit, if not outright better, than his Zeo powers.

I like the fight, with Jason having a bit more experience to draw on, but the White Ranger's power is something else, especially when facing other Rangers(I guess maybe you could argue that it's technically strictly a Dino Thunder thing, but the fact that all of the Rangers tap into the Ranger Grid lead me to believe otherwise). And I think that ability lets him win out in this one.

7. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, Trent takes a scorcher.

8. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    For fear of turning this into another six-page Ranger debate, I think I'll probably just agree. Trent has certainly been more impressive on screen, and I'm too tired to attempt any sort of coherent thought process that might result in a victory for Jason, consisting of transitions between blasts, weapons, seasons, and whatnot.

Nine.

FINALS!!!!!!!

Team Sea Slug (2) vs Angry Kids with Rocks (1)

Han Solo (Star Wars) *Prepared* vs Frozone (The Incredibles) (forfeit)

Five.

FINALS!!!!!!!

Team Sea Slug (3) vs Angry Kids with Rocks (1)

Neo (The Matrix) vs Data (Star Trek) *Prepared*

I'll just go ahead and give Neo the victory...

Three.

FINALS!!!!!!!

Team Sea Slug (4) vs Angry Kids with Rocks (1)

Elastigirl (The Incredibles) vs Buffy Summers (Buffyverse) (forfeit)

Seven.

FINALS!!!!!!!

Team Sea Slug (5) vs Angry Kids with Rocks (1)

Cam Watanabe [Green Ranger] (Power Rangers: Ninja Storm) *Prepared* vs Vida Rocca [Mystic Pink Ranger] (Power Rangers: Mystic Force) *Prepared*

This could be it folks...

Actually, it is it. Cam wins.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    That's one of the most efficient posts I've ever seen.

10. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yep. Cam wins. Pretty close, just like with Chip, but to me it's not Cam's tech or anything that get him the win, because I really douby he'd go into trickery or whatnot in what'll likely be a friendly matchup. But it's basically his superior fighting skill. Vida's a more naturally skilled fighter than Chip at least, but neither can really match Cam in that area at all. It'll be well fought for a while, but then Vida will probably have to power up first in order to keep from getting beaten. And then she might have the upper hand for a bit, but then Cam'll power up and she'll be right back on her heels. So that's how I see it going. Whatever.

So... yeah, I guess that does it and I guess congrats are in order for EF. I guess. What a loser.

11. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Neo (The Matrix) vs Data (Star Trek) *Prepared*

wait...this can't be. Where is Sing? It was supposed to be Sing!

This victory is meaningless.

12. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Heh.

I still kinda want to see how the rest of the numbers play out, though. Because I suspect we're going to have another clear case of a good team shooting itself in the foot with overtrumping. Overtrumping and misplaced prep. Oh, how I do so loathe overtrumping.

13. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Definitely overtrumping. McGonagall and Frozone could have taken care of business on their own.

Bad numbers too. Tough to see that trump fall on Jango when it probably could've beaten that bum Han. Along with a few others.

I suppose we should make this official and continue.

Griffin (Jumper) vs Robocop (Robocop) *Prepared*

Griffin is too fast in this one.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Bad numbers had nothing to do with it.

Instead, let's call them good numbers.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/paflo/light.jpg]

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Assuming Griffin can stay out of Robocop's way, can he take him down/wear him down?

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Most definitely.

17. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, the Frozone/McGonagall trump would've been completely unecessary if the prep had been taken off of Vida (where it was utterly pointless) and put onto McG. Aside from Dumby and Voldy, the Potter characters really seem, IMO, to be among the best of the prep options available. I mean, normally, they're fast, but too big a percentage of the list is just as fast or faster. They're not superhumanly durable, so without prep, a simple bullet can be a deathblow. They tend to be kind of clueless about things that don't have anything to do with their closed-off wizarding world, so if their opponent isn't another Potterverse character or a creature similar to something that exists in their world (and not something that's going to be taken down by a standard stunning spell to the chest), it has a really good shot at throwing them off their game. And yeah, they do usually start off with simple stunning spells, or, in the case of the darksiders, the death spell. But too often, against too many possible opponents, that stuff is just not going to have any effect whatsoever. And while they have a ton of other options, there are too many opponents that just won't give them the time to consider those options.

But if you put prep on them, most of those issues disappear. Take that pointless prep off of Vida, put it on McG. Now she likely beats Jango. By herself. Now you've just saved yourself a forfeit loss and maybe you catch another break and Frozone lands on someone he can beat (and I definitely see a few that he could).

*sigh* This is not complicated stuff.

Anyways... well, I actually think Robo is a bad matchup for Griff. He's too durable and can take just about anything the jumper might think to throw at him (his fall from a massive skyscraper with little effect springs to mind). And it's only going to take one well-placed bullet to end the match in his favor. And I think he can get that one bullet in there.

But whatever, let's move on. Griffin.

EDIT: Not definitely. Especially with that prep.

18. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Prepped McGonagall vs Prepped Jango? I lean toward the latter anyways for that one.

Next match:

Sonny (I, Robot) vs Sing (Kung-Fu Hustle)

Well Sonny is one of the most durable characters in the draft...

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    What would Griffin think to throw at him? And how fast could Griffin jump, and are you sure robocop couldn't shoot him first? I gotta say, I'm kinda leaning toward Robocop, especially with the prep.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Assuming he could jump to his lair in a flash, he has a ton of options in weapons there, or he could jump a car into him. Jump him underwater, high up, something like that.

Bullets probably wouldn't get the job done, is all I'm thinking. Possibly you disagree, but I can't see that happening right on the get go against Griffin.

Admittedly I'm not a huge Robocop fan. He was taken down pretty easily in #2, but I guess 3 is more impressive.

21. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Prepped McGonagall vs Prepped Jango? I lean toward the latter anyways for that one.

Between at least half a dozen spells (a couple of which do not rely on a visible jet of light connecting with the target) that could completely take away Jango's control over his own body (be it paralyzing him or causing him to dance or whatever), a potential small army of inanimate-turned-animate objects attacking from several directions at once, other offensive spells that are well beyond simple stunning spells and maybe even a disillusioment charm so that she could make herself invisible (the cloak isn't the only thing that can do that), I would strongly disagree. Maybe a potion or two would come into play as well.

Also, Sing.

EDIT: The water thing is about the only viable solution of the ones you suggested. None of the others are getting it done.

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    How about he jumps to your room with that baseball bat of his. That would change your mind real quick.

And, not that I dislike Harry Potter, but we either need to wait for a couple more movies to come out, or just go ahead and give them everything in the books. I'm really confused about them most of the time.

23. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Nonsense. I'm like a 50th degree black belt or whatever. I can, like, uh, kick his ass.

Yep.

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Eh, everything that you said could immobilize Jango. He has very little protection against magic.

With that said, Prof M has very little protection against, you know, explosions and flame throwers and sniper darts and LAZERS TO TEH FACE!!! She's just as vulnerable to that as he is to magic - and I'm not sure he's that vulnerable. For example, a simple stunning spell, not to say that's all McGonagall has, but a simple stunning spell probably isn't going to do much to him with his armor on.

If I have to pick one or the other, and both are prepped, I'm going with the clearly superior strategist and highly trained soldier, not the little old lady who, while admittedly having some moves, isn't exactly the most mobile. Well, except for the whole apparation thing. I really hate how they portrayed that in the movie. It was stupid and didn't make sense and I didn't like it.

But whatever, that's all irrelevant. Jango would win. It's not even arguable. In fact, it's totally inarguable. Unless you choose to argue it.

SIX AND NO MORE TRICKS!

FINALS!!!!!!!

Team Sea Slug (7) vs Angry Kids with Rocks (2)

Li Mu Bai (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) vs Nick Russell [Red Mystic Ranger] (Power Rangers: Mystic Force)

Nick the quick humps the candlestick.

Congrats EF. You beat an opponent who didn't even care enough to show up. Well done friendo.

25. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Bleh. Anticlimactic.

EDIT: I definitely agree with him being the superior warrior and such, but if her maneuverability is anything like that of the members of the Order (And again, why wouldn't it be? Especially since she's more experienced than most of them.), then I think she's got a much, much better chance of avoiding all those things that's she vulnerable to than Jango would against her spells.

And yeah, I don't see a stunning spell getting the job done, either. A reducto spell or something similar, though...

And she's really not frail. At all. She's got a reputation (mentioned by multiple people) as being a pretty exceptional fighter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.