main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion The Movies on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DBPirate, Jul 21, 2015.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I know Spike TV used to air all six Star Wars movies for one or two days randomly. I watched them almost every time.

Now that Disney has bought Lucasfilm, I'm sure Spike has lost the rights to air them. Do you think there is a chance the films will be shown on ABC Family or Disney XD? I doubt they'd be shown on Disney Channel.

Unfortunately, the fact that Disney didn't air their own film The Little Mermaid until early this year yet they were able to air all 8 Harry Potter films before this must mean something.

2. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm guessing they'll eventually have to air the six movies this year. ABC, probably not, ABC Family, maybe. But definitely Disney Channel and Disney XD because Rebels and The New Yoda Chronicles have aired on both channels and the Ewok TV movies actually aired on Disney Channel in the 1990s. Plus Spark of Rebellion premiered on Disney Channel. So Disney Channel and Disney XD definitely have to air a marathon at some point or do some Star Wars event with shows having themes related to Star Wars this year. It's so obvious that they have to stir up attention to the next generation who know Rebels but have not been familiar with the core films itself.

3. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Does disney have the tv rights to a new hope? One of the reasons we will not be getting a new boxset(possibly with the OOT)till 2020 is Fox retains some rights to a new hop till then.

4. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Disney is going to eventually work really hard to get back A New Hope from Fox, if not, I think they'll just ask for the TV showing rights. They already have the consumer product rights for A New Hope, like Vader's Tie Advanced as a die-cast vehicle and Marvel's recoloring of A New Hope (1977 adaptation) HC.

DBPirate likes this.
  5. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Well Episode IX will be released by then so that makes sense.

6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Highly doubt they'd show the films on Disney Channel. While family friendly, it's not DC-friendly. You never see them playing Pirates of the Caribbean or any Marvel films. I can't imagine them showing Revenge of the Sith on there. :p If anything, I think ABC will show them.

Although I do miss Spike showing them. Loved how they had little events for them like "Force of July" for July 4th. Hopefully they start playing them again.

Also, do you think they'll release the film's on Blu-Ray again anytime soon? Like single releases for each of the films? They released them on digital without the Fox logo barring ANH, so I don't see why they couldn't release each film separately on Bluray leading up to TFA. I have the box sets, but I always like individual cases for each films, like the DVDs.

DBPirate likes this.
  7. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Like The Clone Wars! Disney has full rights to The Lost Missions, which will air on TV sometime soon, iirc.

And yes, they will start airing the OT to increase hype/interest for TFA.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I can see XD airing the movies. It's not like they don't show live action adult-oriented sci-fi, Doctor Who being the one example I know about.

9. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Actually, Disney Channel aired the Ewok TV movies in the 90's so if they can handle that and being able to take on airing Rebels Season 1 a couple of times this past year, then they will actually air the movies. If Disney Channel was actually was able to handle what was already aired on ABC (Ewok movies), they have a lot more respect towards Star Wars than Marvel. Marvel is still being treated as their own brand. Star Wars is adopted into the Disney name so far. Plus Rebels got a Disney Channel premiere unlike the Marvel TV shows. Sometimes, the Lego Star Wars specials air on there, too. Also, Phineas and Ferb Star Wars premiered first on Disney Channel before Disney XD. But with future Rebels episodes, they'll ultimately be shown on Disney XD first and Disney Channel sometimes. The company is trying to balance out how much Star Wars programming can be aired on each channel. But Disney XD has exclusive first priority of airing. So the movies could be aired on XD first and then Disney Channel or they'll do it at the same time. Plus, both channels had a Rebels 8-episode marathon in the same weekend. Think about it, why does Star Wars get a special treatment than Marvel on Disney Channel? Marvel only got a few stuff over the last few years like a special episode airing or a crossover between shows but that's it. Star Wars is a Disney thing, why do the novels, comics, and Rebels products have the Disney logo alongside the Lucasfilm logo (without the Ltd. for some).
    Read this article wayback from when a few weeks after Lucasfilm was acquired by Disney: <http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/11/09/disney-to-co-brand-star-wars-products-and-movies/>
    It'll just be like how Pixar movies are now co-branded as Disney-Pixar. So Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be Disney-Lucasfilm like Rebels when it comes out in theaters this year. Pixar was a family of Lucasfilm, so I think it felt right for Disney to make it the same thing for Lucasfilm. Plus, these two require financial backing by Disney. Lucasfilm can keep up the good work like when George was still there but with the same people and additional boost through funding. Marvel can easily fund itself but Disney usually helps with the marketing and distributing. They have a comic book publishing company to fund themselves most of the time for the studio and ticket and home media sales pays the comic book writers if you see the cycle. Disney is mostly a financial partner for Pixar and Lucasfilm licensing when you look at the products that will come out that has both the studio's name dashed after Disney.

10. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    The SW films are too heavy for Disney Channel. Come on, you really think they'll play RotS on there...? So no, DC definitely won't air them. ABC will be the best bet.

And I don't think they'll plaster Disney all over TFA. If Lucasfilm was a brand of Disney now as you so heavily say, they would've threw in the Disney logo before the trailers. SW and Lucasfilm are being treated like Marvel.

11. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    Actually, abc family cannot air all 8 Potter films. The rights to goblet of fire belong to HBO or something. On Star Wars, I don't think I've seen the movies on tv since Disney bought it

12. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Actually for Rebels, they had a Disney-Lucasfilm logo on top of the Rebels logo for the trailers. For the movie, it'll be Disney Castle and then Lucasfilm logo coming in. Just expect it to be like how a Pixar movie works, anybody went to see Inside Out?

13. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Plus, before everybody coming to conclusions that the Disney logo will not be on The Force Awakens products and the film, look back at recent
    Star Wars products, most of them had the Disney logo alongside the Lucasfilm logo minus Ltd. Actually most Star Wars toys has the Star Wars logo with Disney somewhere on the packaging. And for Star Wars Disney books, they have their own imprint, Disney-Lucasfilm Press. When Force Friday comes, look at the packaging, most of them have Disney logos for a reason. Think about it.

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Since when? I've seen Goblet of Fire on ABC Family before.

15. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Very true, I have seen ABC Family airing all 8 Harry Potter films over a weekend. The movies air early from 8 to 11 in the evening. Because it's when the Christian talk shows airs. If it wasn't there, then the films would air continuously until the weekend's over in cycles of 8 films. It's possible to air 8 films 2 times in a weekend if there was no priority that ABC Family had to respect. Hopefully ABC Family will be changed into an entirely different channel in a few years.

I still think the six films will be aired on both Disney Channel and Disney XD. A lot of other Star Wars content has been on Disney Channel if some noticed, the Ewok TV movies (Caravan of Courage & The Battle For Endor) in the 90's, Spark of Rebellion and the Rebels Season 1 episodes, Lego Star Wars specials, and a Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars special. Plus, Disney Channel Asia has started to air the six movies in separate months this year. So far A New Hope is scheduled to air on August 2nd. So it seems like maybe they'll air the movies. But there was also the digital distribution so there's probably no need to air them on TV. Maybe just keep an eye for something.

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Sounds like they're planning an Indiana Jones/Star Wars channel or looking to combine it with their Marvel stuff - not sure there is enough Star Wars programming yet but that could change with more movies and more seasons of Rebels ect.

17. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    The most recent Harry Potter weekends skip Goblet

18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Goblet has been on repetitively for the past number of months on one of the paid for commercial free movie channels on Direct TV, I forget which.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You guys are making a big deal out of this. Disney bought Star Wars and its there's and what they don't have they will eventually get. You guys have to get that through your heads. The old EU is gone, the old way of doing things are gone, dark horse does not have the license, marvel does, Disney owns marvel and Pixar and lucafilm. Whats the issue? They can add the mouse where ever they want. I mean common guys, this is a waste

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    If people want to discuss it. gripe and express criticism then let them. Its not like we're on Disney's PR payroll and put in Dr. Mindbender's brainwave scanner . But its best to buy the DVD's instead of waiting around for them to show up on paid cable or satellite TV.

21. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm not complaining. I'm actually glad Disney bought SW and are pumping out MORE SW content, including new games and shows and films and literature. I'm just saying I don't think Disney will plaster their logo before TFA. If they were, they'd have done it before the new trailer, instead they just play the Lucasfilm logo.

22. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    StarWarsFreak93 and others who think this, if you don't think there will be a Disney logo before the Lucasfilm logo before the the movie starts, then why recently most of the Star Wars stuff have mostly had Disney logos more than Lucasfilm? Del Rey novels now have Disney-Lucasfilm on the back, Marvel comics also have it under their opening crawls, most Rebels products have Disney-Lucasfilm logos, Star Wars Disney books are published under the Disney-Lucasfilm Press imprint and Hasbro Star Wars toys only have the Star Wars and Disney logos also. If many recent Star Wars products have more Disney logos and projects that are tied Disney-Lucasfilm on top, then it is clear to you that before the Lucasfilm logo before the Force Awakens starts, there will be a Disney castle logo. Disney is treating their acquisition of Lucasfilm as how they're doing with Pixar, Pixar and Lucasfilm do all the work and Disney provides funding, connections to other licensors, and marketing service to them. And as like Pixar movies with Disney-Pixar on top, with new Lucasfilm productions will have Disney-Lucasfilm on top, too. Pixar and Lucasfilm need boosts. Marvel is a stronger brand itself so it can have their own logo without Disney. Just wait until the next TFA trailer or until the movie opens in theaters and try to see if there is a Disney logo in there.

23. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    lowell and StarWarsFreak93

I think it's likely that the movie will get its own special Cinderella Castle from Disney like Tron Legacy had. Though I think the standard Disney logo showed up in the trailers. I don't remember seeing a logo in the Ant-Man trailer though. It's possible that people identify more with the companies of Marvel Studios or Lucasfilm for the films being produced, and that the conscious marketing decision was to primarily have them run their logos in front of the trailers. And then Disney will attach its logo to the film as they are the distributing company.

24. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Regardless, it doesn't bother me at all, just stating my prediction. Why do you want the logo so bad?

25. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm just saying that new Lucasfilm projects will be similar as Pixar. How it'll be Disney-Pixar in Pixar movies, it'll be Disney-Lucasfilm for Lucasfilm. Marvel never had the Disney logo in their stuff except for Disney Kingdoms and Star Wars comics. There was never Disney-Marvel for anything else because Disney wants to keep their hands out of a strong brand like themselves to make sure Marvel can stand still on their own but funding by Disney.