main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The MSC/DSC 2004 Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Nah, we'll do it here.

So far, the folks who will be needing rooms are

Lin
    Traci and Me
    Rhonda
    Tim
    Sal

2. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Tim do we need to pay a deposit or do we pay when we get there?

-Tim

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We'll pay when we get there, Tim. Right now all we're doing is reserving our rooms.

4. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Well, I haven't talked with Sherri about this yet, but go ahead and put me down for a room, too. If she doesn't want to come down, I can split a room with someone, I guess.

5. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Hey, if I have to bring along a sleeping bag or crash on a chair I'm cool with that!

Looks like we should have a decent turnout!

Lin

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Steve: Gotcha down, my man! Great that you'll be joining us! Don't forget your costume!

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    And something to dull the senses! Hey, Tim- figured out that lightsaber/flask yet...?

We should make an Obi-Wan costume with a portable bar- or did you already come up with that idea?!

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm still working on it, Lin.

OK, folks. Here's the beef-

I went to reserve rooms. The deal is I have to go ahead and pay for them if we're going to get the cheaper online rate. We could just book them and pay when we get there, but it's going to cost us $109 a night.

So, I hate to ask this, but, I'll need to know who is going for sure. I'm going to have to pay for this now, and I don't want, and can't afford, to eat someone's room rate should they decide not to come at the last moment. That, and it's not fair to those who are expecting to split a room with someone else.

Also, if you're not on the list and know for sure that you want to room with us, then please let me know so I can add you to the list.

So far, I know for sure the following people are going to be there:

Traci
    Rhonda
    Lin
    Me

I'll need confirmation from:

Sal
    Tim C
    Steve

We can still get rooms with no problems right now, but I do need to hear from everyone no later than tomorrow night so we can book these four rooms.

A side note: The $65.40 rate doesn't include 16% tax and $5.00 parking fees. I'm estimating that it'll run about $80.86 per room per night, and I'm trying to arrange it so everyone gets their own bed.

For those of you who wish to make their own reservations, they may do so at www.holiday-inn.com It's the Airport Inn on Democrat Road where the Con will be, and the dates are March 26-28.

-Tim

9. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Better go ahead and mark me off...I probably won't be able to make this one, either.

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "A side note, the $65.40 rate doesn't included 16% tax and $5.00 parking fees. I'm estimating that it'll run about $80.86 per room per night, and I'm trying to arrange it so everyone gets their own bed."

Geez- they're charging parking fees?!

Is it $80 per person or half that if we double up? Which I guess it would make it $40 a night, or $80 for the weekend, right? If you want I can drop you a check in the mail tonight or run you the cash by this week (I'll be busy at the Celeb Waiters Night at Bosco's Squared tomorrow night and have an MSCA meeting Thursday, but I'm free any other time.)

Wow, my own bed?! Cool- Sal is such a blanket-hog!

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Don't worry about paying me until the end of the month when my credit card bill comes in, y'all. And that's $80 for the whole weekend for those splitting a room with someone.

Yep, the rats are charging for parking. Can you believe that?

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    So I wonder if it will be valet parking?! If so they can help me carry all my crap outta my car into the hotel!

Hey, I was thinking about blowing off the feast and leaving the hotel for an hour or so to grab some dinner. I had a good time at the feast, but it was a bit cramped and thought it might be more fun to hit somewhere else. Not sure what all is within a few minutes of the hotel, but I can check into it if some of you are game. Maybe some of the out of towners would like to get out for a bit.

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sounds fine to me, Lin, and probably will be cheaper.

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, or about the same- I think the feast is about $15 or so.

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Isn't the feast...gulp... a buffet? scream

I can't stand buffets. They should be called "Self-service bacteria buckets".

Can't do the buffet thing. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Anything with a sneeze guard is of the Dark Side.

16. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yep- buffet!

Like I said, I had a good time, but felt a bit intrusive when I asked to join a table with an open seat. It got a bit crowded.

17. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Tim I'm going to have to have you take me off the list for a room unless you guys want to split a room three ways and I'll sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag. $80 is just too much for me considering I can drive up there and I really need to be seriously saving for Celebration III. Sorry. :(

Lin, skipping the feast and going elsewhere sounds fun, count me in.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Then it's final- We'll skip the buffet and do a private dinner out somewhere. Can't think of anything close to the hotel that's remotely nice.

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "close" and "nice" is gonna be the trick!

I'll go by this week and check around.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, how about a good, old-fashioned, Tim-style change of plans?

Let me throw this out there and see what everyone thinks:

I decided to give the finger to Holiday Inn's online reservations and talk to someone with more than one brain cell at the hotel where MSC will be.

The website showed no suites available at all. However, Gwen at Holiday Inn informed me today that there were two suites available for the 26th and 27th that had one king room, one double room, and a parlor with wet bar, fridge, table, furniture, etc, and two full baths. These suites go for $275 a night plus tax ($318.32 with tax per night). I talked with Rhonda and Traci about getting the suite, and they liked the idea.

I know it would be more than the internet rate per night, but with a few air mattresses in the parlor, we could accomodate everyone in one area, we would have room for visitors who come up to hang out with us, and we would be guaranteed to all be rooming together instead of possibly split up.

Now, aside from just the suite availability, we discussed the following options:

A) Getting the suite for both Friday and Saturday nights. That's $636.63 total divided, so far, amongst four people, (making it $159.16 per person for both nights, which would be the same for those who did not share a room for both nights), but would leave room for a couple more people to decide to take part later.

B) Getting the suite for Saturday night only, and leaving up to everyone if they want to stay on Friday night, and thus leaving those accommodations up the each person individually. Then we'd all room in the suite on Saturday night, and split the room charge.

C) Sticking with the previous plan, and hope we could get the rooms all together. We could still get the $65.40 + tax + parking rate from the internet as long as we book 21 days in advance, and as long as rooms are available.

So far, Rhonda, Traci, and I are all leaning towards either A or B. I know it's more money, but it would be more fun, more spacious, as well as fit with our party plans better.

So, we need opinions and feedback from everyone who wants to participate. If we're going to get a suite, we should do it soon, as in the next day or two, to avoid any chance that we'll lose them.

21. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    I recommend contacting Dana at info@midsouthcon.org or calling her at (731) 664-6730. I think she may be able to wheel & deal a better rate.

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Michael. I did just that at your suggestion, and found that we can get a King suite with an adjoining double for just $229 + tax, which would be $265.53 a night for the whole shibang. Much better, and kudos to MSC. Aaaaaand the king suite has a pull-out couch, meaning we'll have more sleeping space.

So, meaning we can get that for two days for $531.06, which divided amongst four people would be $132.76, and we could accommodate a few more folks should they decide to join us. That makes option A that much cheaper.

Option B, where we only stay one night, would make it $265.53, and divided amongst four people would be $66.38 each.

So, let me know what everyone thinks and please let me know soon.

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Honestly I could go for either, but think we really only need it for Saturday night. That'll be the night we need it! Most of the craziness happens then. Since I'll be there early Friday morning helping to set up the art show, and then donig the artist meet/greet party later that night I could probably just drive the 10-15 minutes and crash at home. Would give us more $ for party favors and refreshments!

Let me know what you guys/gals want to do and I'll be happy to go along with either plan (A) or (B)- or Plan 9 from Outer Space!

Thanks Mike!

(BTW- if you do the $5 con-suite give-away you can get beers and such at the con suite durring the con, which was a good thing last year! It was nice to grab something alcoholic and kick back a bit during the day.)

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I like where you're getting at with plan B, Lin. You're right, only one night and we could spend more on boo...er...party favors.

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Thought you might like that!

I don't plan on staying up/out too late Friday night, just because I know Saturday is gonna be one heck of a party!

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!

Oh, don't forget the next day is Sal's birthday! Maybe we should send his mom a sympathy card- that had to hurt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.