main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The MSC/DSC 2004 Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, that's one vote for Saturday. I'm holding my vote for last, because I'm fickle.

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    You are such a woman...

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, hey, hey!!! Just because I'm fickle, and can sew, doesn't mean I'm a woman! Now meet me at Hancock's today at about 3. I need you to hold my purse while I shop.

4. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    But what if it clashes with my outfit?! BTW- what are you planning on wearing?

5. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ok, gang- we must take a blender to the hotel room! I'll be sure to snag some kahlua, ice cream, and chocolate- John's gotta make some more of those shakes! I want to try one of the vanilla ones Traci and Rhonda were making, too! Mmmmm...

Tim- Man, thanks for all the work on the costume! You are da' man! I can't wait to finally get to wear it at con. I'm gonna be the coolest looking geek there!

Oh, let me know when I need to get you the $ for the room.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Mike:I just got this from my buddy at Dark Horse-

Lin,
    I'm going to be sending you a bunch of posters, bookmarks, and assorted marketing items.
    I need to know about how many of each would be appropriate.

I told him a butt-load! Actually I told him we'd probably get between 750-1000 folks, so however many he could would be much appreciated. I also gave him the con's mailing addy.

Haven't heard back from anyone else, other than a couple other cons who said they'd send flyers.

7. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Gnarly, dude!

I'll forward this info to the Big Giant Heads.

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cool, give Shatner my best!

If I hear anything else I'll give you a yell.

Hey- there's something out on the wing!

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Is that....Creedence?

OK, gotta get in touch with Dana about the room. I told her to hold it for us, but I have yet to hear back from her.

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I reserved my space in the art show but I need to send her a check this week, along with a list of what I'm entering. Man, I need to kick my sculpting into high gear!

11. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    With Dana working Doctor's hours, I recommend contacting her rather than wait to be contacted.
    Her home phone is (731) 664-6730.

And I was just told that we have no comics dealers in the huckster room this year! AAACK! To be fair, tables were allocated on a first-paid, first-served basis, and there are several names on the waiting list, but damn! Some of the book dealers may be selling graphic novels, or could be persuaded to carry certain titles, but damn, this was a bit of a surprise to me when I heard it last week. I have not seen the list of dealers and their wares yet, and who knows what could change in a month's time?

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Michael. I'll give her a buzz sometime tomorrow.

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Have you had many in the past? I remember seeing one or two last year- and a couple selling comic related toys.

So does this mean you guys have sold all the dealer spots? Cool...

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey gang, I was talking to Tim about the members page of the site. We'd like to take shots of all of us in costume at MSC and then put us into toy packaging. I've seen some done like this at other cons with HUGE mock-ups of blister packs where you step into it from behind. We can do the same with Photoshop.

If you can't make it to con but would like to have this as your shot on the members page get a picture of you in costume to me. It'd help if it was against a solid backround- like white, blue, etc. and in focus! Just whatever pose you want. I may do a couple different package/cards- if I do I'll post them and let you pick which you'd like to be in. Probably a current one, a POTF one, and possibly an original/classic card.

Oh, don't forget that the new 'Clone Wars' episode comes on the Friday of MSC/26th- and Sal's birthday is that Sunday!

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I talked briefly with the lady at Holiday Inn about our suite, only to get blown off and promised a return call. She was politely rude, I guess. Of course, I never got that return call. Once again, I'll try tomorrow. I'm getting a wee bit pissed at this hotel. I'm thinking of suggesting a better venue to the MSC folks for next year. I hear Albert's Cabins are nicer, and they have vibrating beds.

Love the blister pack idea, Lin. Don't let me forget the fake bluescreen.

16. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    No prob- I'll try and make a list of con items we'll need to take. I know we'll need a blender for John's shakes!

If the con is bigger this year the MSC committee may have to start looking elsewhere- it was a bit crowded last year, which is not all a bad thing!

I'm really hoping this con will grow. I think it has the potential. They seemed to get some decent media attention, and a pretty good write up in the C/A. Mike and Carlin both seem to want to expand it's horizons/interests, and we're getting more SW and comic folks talking about going. Could be cool- especially if they could get Zahn back again. Traci could get her book(s) signed! I'm just hoping for some female Twi'leks...(fanboygasm)

Oh, saw this post about MSC by Skip in Nashville-

"right now it looks like around 20 or so 501st members are gonna make this one.
    ive got people driving over from knoxville,up from huntsville and birmingham,down from lexington and louisville and some coming from little rock.

should be quite a turnout for the weekend.

plus DVDmaster will be right in the middle of it all,he's staying with us!"

Ok, let's do the math...

If there are normally 600-700 or so folks at MSC, and there is 20 or so 501st, at least 5-10 SMT members, and 1 SW media guest- it's about 4-5% of the memberships and A LOT of SW folks! Especially when you consider how visable Star Wars fans like the 501st are and SMT will be again (any "You can't see me!" jokes here!). If the con directors start seeing that SW presence at MSC, and that 5-10% of their registrations are coming from SW fans- plus another 5-10% from comic fans or others they will start to broaden their programing and guests to accomidate these fan groups.

If anyone from the con asks you what you'd like to see at future cons tell 'em! They won't get it if they don't know folks are interested. After MSC go to the website and contact them. Let them know what you did/didn't like and what you want to see. (Be nice- if you are going to criticize be sure to start off or follow it up with something + !)

I'd like to see more folks want to come to Memphis- and for there to be something here for them to enjoy and want to come back to!

Hey, if MidSouthCon and DeepSouthCon can team up/co-host a con, maybe in the future so can TimmyCon!

17. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    I was talking to Tim about the members page of the site. We'd like to take shots of all of us in costume at MSC and then put us into toy packaging.

Don't ever give me ideas!

Go easy on me, this is the first major bit of image editing I've ever done. Some parts look crap, frankly, but I'm rather proud of the recolouring I did on the Jedi tunic.

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's too #@%$ing funny!

Great job, Ben!

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OMG, Ben!!! That is too freakin' funny!! I love it!!! BTW- What does it say below my name on the label? I can't make it out. Thanks, man!!!

20. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "Jedi Master"

I guess when we do one for Ben we'll have to put him in a cantina scene!

21. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Wow, I disappear for another month and look what I miss! Darg, curse you, midterms, crippled mothers, and evil ex-roommates!!

:p

Sadly, I won't be attending Mid South Con this year. With the anime con the very next weekend, my mom wouldn't be thrilled that I'd be spending TWO weekends away from home. *sigh* And here I was hoping to get Martheus Wade to autograph the comic book of his that I bought. Oh well. Enjoy, you guys!

-Darth Grace*

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Grace: Nice to see you've returned to us! Aw, c'mon and sneak out to join us at MSC, even if it's just briefly. We'll try and get that autograph for you.

23. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Oooooo.....Tim finally turned to the Dark Side and started surfing at work. ;) [face_laugh]

24. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    If that's the case then surfs up and call me a sith!

Grace: slide by if you want that autograph. If Antone(Martheus- or 'Wonton' as I like to call him!) is not around I can get it signed for you. He's an old bud in the MSCA with me. More than likely he and his wife Janet will be around con all weekend. He did a great sketch for Glenn(Jengo) last year and will probably doing sketches in and around the lobby area.

I'm hoping to have my Jetta sculpt of his ready for the art show. I'm also working on a surprize piece I hope all you SMT folks will dig..!

25. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    Suites
    To make sure that suites were available for convention members, MidSouthCon has blocked out all of the hotel suites, so to reserve one you must contact us at info@midsouthcon.org

Tim It could be that the hotel lady couldn't find your info 'cuz it may have been under Dana Bridges' name. Greg Bridges indicated to me today that are still holding three suites if people want 'em for room parties or such, but will have to release them if no one claims them soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.