main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Multiverse: The Works of Michael Moorcock

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by CloneTrooper_3000, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneTrooper_3000

CloneTrooper_3000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    So in the past month I've discovered the work of Michael Moorcock and so far have really enjoyed it. So far I've read-

Elric of Melnibone'
    The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    The Weird of the White Wolf
    The Eternal Champion

Likes- First and foremost, I like the idea of the multiverse and The Eternal Champion being an incarnation of the same person in different universes. Also, I like Moorcock's writing style, it's not overly wordy and allows me to fill in the blanks and use my imagination.

Dislikes- Moorcock's overuse of the words "sardonic" and "ironic". Get a thesaurus, dude.

Monor gripes aside, I've really enjoyed the Elric saga so far and look forward to reading the stories of the other Eternal Champion incarnations.

Anyone else a fan?

2. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Yeah I'm a fan, I've read all the Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum books and a smattering of other series. I always have trouble finding complete series, I've been trying to piece together the Eternal Champion Cycle Omnibus paperbacks series for years.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I read the first three Elric books you mentioned, Trooper, and liked them well enough. Brisk sword and sorcery action coupled with some sprinklings of interesting philosophy as perceived through the viewpoint of an uncompromising anti-hero makes for a good combination. Supposedly all new super swanky editions of the Elric books are being issued in the U.S. sometime in 2008, so I definitely look forward to reading the saga in its entirety without sifting through used book shops and/or ebay.

Also, six months back I read the four main Jerry Cornelius novels, which again I really dug. Moorcock?s style here is a very fragmented, chaotic, and sometimes comic exploration of 60s/70s era social strife that still seems quite relevant today. Definitely an essential work for anyone working their way through Moorcock?s Eternal Champion oeuvre, as well as definitive SF/F titles in general.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I have three Elric Saga books but have not read them yet.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sounds interesting. What're they about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.