main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Muppets

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 24, 2011.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Okay, I enjoyed that way more than I thought I would. My immediate reaction was that how could they not just bring back the Muppet Show format again?

Still, it's the Muppets, and I laughed at pretty much all that, so I guess mission accomplished. Some what of a missed opportunity though.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Because primetime variety shows have been dead for quite some time.

I'm not a huge fan of the Muppets-- especially not the last two movies-- but I enjoyed the trailer.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No doubt there will also be some 'front of house' musical numbers / skits, so best of both worlds. They've hit the humour perfectly in that trailer, I have confidence it will extend to the full shows.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The Muppets TV trailer I posted above has bad audio / stuttering. This one is better:

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Solid trailer- seems to hit the right tone without feeling like a retread of TMS & MT.

6. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Perhaps it will work by bringing back families on television. Let's face it actors and actresses will want to appear on it for free just because they can.

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    25 years gone. :(

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

[face_laugh]

That looks like its going to be hilarious.

:D:D:D

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    DarthMane2 and The2ndQuest like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's outstanding.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I think The Muppets are more or less dead. Their fans are mostly people who fondly remember watching the show when they were kids. The Muppets, back then, lived in a world which still had echoes of vaudeville, music hall, variety shows, i.e. a pre-television age, and ever since that framework has been gone The Muppets have been adrift. They are stuck in a Seventies' version of the Twenties. The cheesy pianist, the end-of-pier comedian, the smalltown diva, all those characters who are just as desperate to escape the real world as the audience--more so--now are the ghosts that haunt derelict theatres and roam empty halls. New writers and funnymen can try to reinvent the show all they want, but the curtain fell in 1981.

Jim Henson tried different things, new things, and so should the poor souls who are behind this latest incarnation.

Also, people underestimate the dark undertone of the original Muppet Show. Those dark halls backstage: it's where failed artists hanged themselves.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There seems to be some darkness in this new season, which is indeed trying new things rather than rehashing a variety show. And the rebooted movie was a success. I know much is mired in nostalgia, and parents dragging along kids to the films. But it is a nice change to take kids to a movie full of puppets and jokes, and not CGI. This franchise has been languishing for a long time, but I think it is again moving in the right direction. Anyway, I guess we will find out on Sept 22.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though the Muppets have often revolved around "putting on a show", that concept has evolved over the years- from the vaudeville variety show of the original to Broadway plays and musicals in "Takes Manhattan" & "Muppetvision", to the storybook narrative type production of "Carol", "Island" & "Christmas Toy" and, now, faux-documentary. IIRC, even "Muppets Tonight" had a different spin on the idea.

Now, granted, the reboot did go back to the old concept (but, as Jp mentions, it was very clearly using nostalgia there) but they're not something that became adrift in 1981- they were constantly reinventing themselves throughout the 80's and early 90's.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The new Muppets show looks great. It feels a little like "30 Rock", but with beloved established characters. I think this show has a lot of potential and I hope they push the envelope with the writing. It doesn't have to be crude like some episodes of "South Park", but rather a good balance between "Modern Family" and "Family Guy" (back when FG was good like Season 3).

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    My feeling was that it sort of felt like The Looney Tunes Show, but with a more prime time bend to the humor.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I can't count the number of people I've talked to who are excited about the new Muppets show. We in the Inty household view it as sort of "The Office", but with Muppets. Which is just about perfect.

I don't see the Muppets as dying because while, yes, they are largely tapping into nostalgia, just like so many other franchises, they do it in a different way.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, the Muppets' humor has a very particular slant, but its one that pretty universally popular and always has been.

20. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    But that constant reinventing is exactly the sign they are adrift. "They aren't lost, because they keep walking in different directions."

I wish it were different.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Expect that the last Muppets series, Muppets Tonight ended in 1998. so there's been a 17 year gap with no Muppets on TV in primetime. The last Muppet movie before The Muppets in 2011, was Muppets in Space, which was released in 1999. Sorry, Debo. the Muppets as a franchise hasn't been re-inventing inself over the past 10-15 years. It's been absent, and I am excited that Muppets are coming back to television.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was referring to the suggestion that they were somehow out of their element/past their expiration after the culture moved on from the entertainment tropes that inspired some of the characters.

By reinventing themselves they managed to stay relevant (and, arguably, reached their zenith during the post-variety show era of TV).

23. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    "It's not dead, it just has been absent for 15 years."

Look guys, I hope your expectations are fulfilled. I hope this new show will return them to a kind of former glory, so that future generations will remember it affectionately. I've made my point.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    We watch "The Muppet Christmas Carol" every year as part of a family tradition that my brother and I started. So for some of us, it hasn't felt absent at all.

FatBurt and PCCViking like this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"Muppets In Space" was the last theatrical film. But it was not the last of the Muppet films. In 2002 there was "Kermit's Swamp Years" and the two TV films released between 2002 and 2005. The films weren't reinventions, but rather continuations of the same themes when Henson was still alive. "The Great Muppet Caper" was presented as a film where everyone meets for the first time, with regular fourth wall breaking acknowledging that they've known each other and that they're making a film. "Muppet Treasure Island", "The Muppet Christmas Carol", "It's A Very Muppet Christmas" and "The Muppet Wizard Of Oz" were all variations on the same theme of having the Muppets integrated into popular films and literature. Stuff that was done in "The Muppet Show", only less of a skit and more of a take on the lore.

Besides, if they weren't popular, Disney wouldn't have invested in them and the 25 million views on Youtube for "Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody" wouldn't have given them the go ahead to make "The Muppets" film.