main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Murder Door: What is the function of the deadly looking constantly opening / closing aperture?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BigAl6ft6, Jul 4, 2017.

?

What the heck is that thing?

1. It has a specific function that doesn't involve murdering people who try to climb out

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. It has no function aside from trying to murder people who try to climb out

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Just when the interwebs were beginning to let me down, this absolute gem pops up. Brilliant.

EHT and Siphonophore like this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's purely there to give the audience a sense of danger towards the character...;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Clearly the Murder Door was neglected as a child door.

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Makes me think of the movie Cube.

Siphonophore likes this.
  5. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017

Definately this.

Regular access hatch with faulty electrics.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "OK, stunt person # 22... cameras rolling... 'Murder Door, Take 23'... action!"

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Realistic effects are worth it.

BigAl6ft6 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Rick Carter: "Edwards was trying to make sure the movie had a physicality to it. That truly was a Murder Door. A REAL Murder Door."

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I didn't actually think it was some big heavy mechanical door shutting at that speed. I figured it was made of much lighter material that if somebody was hit it wouldn't cause any more then bruising, but still real nonetheless. And something a stunt person could navigate while knowing the risks.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  10. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I know this is the Rogue One forum and all, and I've already posted Empire content, but since there isn't a Murder Door thread in the CT forum, I have a question that I'll pose here. Does the Falcon have three or four Murder Doors? I hear the sound of the Falcon's Murder Doors four times, but maybe that's because they cut to the exterior of the Falcon and they wanted to show the last door opening from the outside, even though we have already seen it open from the inside. Maybe it does have only three Murder Doors. Perhaps it's not fair to even call them that, as they seem to be operating quite safely...... until you least expect it.
    Jump to the 2:17 mark:
    Also, I think a fun video in the spirit of the one with falling Luke would be a very extended video of Lando going up the Murder Elevator while this elevator music is playing. Note, this song is "Going Up", and is a cover of the Are You Being Served? theme song.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Whenever it gets to that part of Rogue One I can't help but think of this: [face_laugh]

But in reality it is probably just a maintenance hatch that is having electrical problems due to the attack.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And just like that, you've made my life better.

Gigoran Monk, EHT and Siphonophore like this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Poor Luke...

14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    In terms of whether it was CGI or not I a practical FX door would not of course have to be set to open and close automatically, it could be manually controlled and only closed when they were sure the stunt woman was though ok, personally though I do suspect CGI, at least for that individual shot.

The obvious influence design wise comes a bit latter in ESB I'd say, the doors for access to the top of the Falcon Lando goes though to rescue Luke.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    At least we now know the horrible truth about how "many Bothans died" when the Alliance had to go through this entire process, again, because the Empire recycled ideas. Poor severed Bothans...

16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Yes, but doors were less violent back in the 80s. Or should I say they became less violent ABY?

I wonder if the Falcon door was detained frequently simply because it looked like other doors fitting the murder door description. Maybe it just got less murdery once it went from scoundrel to rebel.

To be fair, there were two doors for the Bothans. But they stuck cheese behind the murder door. This is kinda on the Bothans.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  17. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I was curious if anyone would bring up the Murder Door.

It could be a ventilation device with a security feature or be malfunctioning after K2 fried the control panel.

Either way, Jyn didn't look too excited by it, giving it the "OMG this sucks" look. Lol.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Wasn't this just a tribute to Gls famous fast closing death doors? At least that's what I got its purpose was......

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahha, of all the crummy things that happen to Jyn that day, having to climb all the way to the top of the data vault only to have to dive through a Murder Door must be pretty high on the list. About 3 minutes later she's basically ready to explode when she finally gets to the top and the computer tells her that the dish has to be fixed.

Blue 5 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I saw a housefly sitting on the edge of an open window frame this afternoon, so I murder-doored it. :cool:

BigAl6ft6, EHT and Gigoran Monk like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Your stewardship of God's handiwork is an inspiration.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Something just occurred to me: even the Murder Door died when the Death Star fired on Scarif. @};-

Blue 5, BigAl6ft6, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    =((

24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What bothered me more is that Jyn started climbing through it at the worst timed spot yet made it through.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's right, actually. She's a few feet underneath it and then when it opens again, she climbs up a few more feet and THEN goes through it miraculously without getting snipped when she could have gotten closer, waited for another potentially few seconds and then go through. But she decides to take the "lets start moving immediately at the Murder Door as it opens even though I'm potentially a few feet underneath and I could just wait about 2 seconds"

11-4D likes this.