main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The music at the final scene in ROTS

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by REVANLORD, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I think that music was just so... beutiful. The violin harmony really did that piece a world of good. What are your opinions on this piece?

2. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Reminded me of this stupid scene in an old space movie. Pretty much copied the whole part. Sucked.

3. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Good stuff.

4. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    How did it suck? It was a true Star Wars moment!

5. REVANLORD

Jun 2, 2005
    How? They had a new harmony and background part. And it rocked.

6. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    You guys can't take a joke can you?

7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Indy_Fett, younglings have a hard enough time grasping sarcasm in real life, let alone on a message board. ;)

8. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    So it seems.[face_plain] It wasn't that great though. Nothing really stood out to me. Even the Force theme at the end seemed kinda weak. Vader, Tarkin, and Palpatine on the bridge was good though, but this thread isn't about that cue.

9. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, to tell the truth, even a beautifully played cue with perfect recording cannot compare to the classic "Binary Sunset". To me, that is the quintessential film cue.

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Absolutely, GK. Binary Sunset is just one of those film musical moments that can never be outdone, or emulated.

11. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I liked the music in that scene..it worked well for me. A nice throwback to "Binary Sunset".

I must say though (for once) I think the scene of Luke looking out over the sunset made "Binary Sunset" one of the great movie moments as opposed to the music making the scene better. (which happens a lot in SW, in my opinion. Williams just has the ability to make a shot look even better with his music)

12. REVANLORD

Jun 2, 2005
    It does go really well with Binary Sunset. :)

13. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I wonder why they work well together?

14. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Same here I cry now that I hear that cue, because you can see how it all fits in now.

15. ElusiveNemesis

ElusiveNemesis Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2005
    The circle is now complete...the music says it all.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Hearing the main theme at the very start of the last scene made me realize how much the prequels lack any renditions of what everyone knows as the "Star Wars theme".

EDIT: That said, the quick rendition of the main title in that scene is lovely.

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The Main Title theme is "Luke's Theme". Since he only appears at the end of ROTS, its sparse use in the PT is understandable.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Ok, then.

So a related question: If the main title is Luke's theme, what's all this nonsense about the entire saga being all about Anakin?

19. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    In 1977, when Williams first scored Star Wars, Luke was the main character in that film. It was a natural connection to make Luke's theme the main title. When Lucas got a chance to make the entire saga, he explained that it is about Anakin. There's no nonsense. It makes perfect sense.

20. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Well that makes sense. Although I guess he could have made it the Skywalker theme for the PT, but even as a kid, I associated this music with Luke. It is his theme, and he helps redeem Anakin. He is the hero of the saga, IMO.

21. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    In Sith, the Luke's theme loosely signifies Anakin in the track "Grievous and the Droids" (underscoring his "General Grievous... you're shorter than I expected.") In TPM, it's unspecific; the main theme. It plays for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in battle, Anakin departing from his mother, Qui-Gon escaping Darth Maul, and Naboo starships taking off. What's the connection? Well, they're all cool moments, I guess.

22. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    TPM is probably the only film of the PT to resemble the fun of the OT. And it was nice to hear Luke's theme for the first time in 16 years.

23. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    What's the difference between the Force theme, Luke's theme and Binary Sunset? It seems to me elements of the Force theme are in Luke's theme and Binary Sunset? Also, in significant moments throughout the saga, only the Force theme seems to play for Obi-Wan. In ANH, the Force theme starts to play when Obi-Wan sacrifices himself. It quickly changes to Leia's theme, though, which I know bothers some viewers.

24. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Luke's Theme is the melody that plays in the main title at the beginning of all the films, during the scroll. It also appears in cues throughout the scores, though rarely in the PT. "Binary Sunset" is a specific cue where the Force Theme is played. The original cue occurs in ANH when Luke watches the binary sunset and then returns to discover that R2 has run away. In the ROTS finale, Luke's Theme is heard briefly at the 0:30 mark of "A New Hope And End Credits", which then segues into the Force Theme reprise of the "Binary Sunset" cue as Owen and Beru watch the sunset holding baby Luke.

The ANH soundtrack has a track called "The Hologram/Binary Sunset" (well actually, the original soundtrack has a track called "The Princess Appears") where you can hear this. (about the 2:20 mark). And you can hear a short statement of Luke's theme in between Princess Leia's Theme in "The Hologram" and the Force Theme of "Binary Sunset". :)

The "Binary Sunset" rendition of the Force Theme is famous for the solo French horn followed by sweeping strings playing the melody.

25. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I think the "Binary Sunset" for RotS should be renamed "Binary Sunrise", because after all it is a sunrise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.