main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The music in the force awakens

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rax, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Will it give us the star wars feeling, will it not give us the star wars mood? The music has a lot to do with the reactions we get from the film, I hope it'll sound good and not be completely different from our expectations. I think it is a good idea that John Williams will compose it as he has done with the previous films, he made it and should know what sounds starwars-ish. But that's just me.

Jobertus and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    My hopes: a good mix of familiar themes and the introduction of new themes in Ep VII. As the new characters take more of teh center stage, transition to their themes as dominant (as they should feel familiar by then).

One reason the second teaser trailer was a such a huge hit, IMO was that grand swelling music of Luke's theme. That's still one of the most emotional pieces of music in the entire saga.

I was hoping for more Imperial March, but since it's the First Order, maybe not?

Messi and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  3. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I agree on that mixture, I still want them to use the traditional old ones aswell as new ones.

Strongbow likes this.
  4. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Hoping for one grand new theme to rival Duel Of The Fates

5. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Completely agree, and I think they will.

One reason Rebels feels so Star Wars is liberal use some of the original themes.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  6. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Me too. That's a good one. And that theme supposedly inspired use of lots of choral work in the LOTR soundtrack, to very great effect, IMO.

Jobertus likes this.
  7. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Indeed, I don't want fully new themes. We have to keep those traditional old ones. Rebels does a good job on it's music though and I hope the force awakens will to.

Jobertus and Strongbow like this.
  8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm pretty sure there is already a thread discussing all this, btw

9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I couldn't find it. If it is about the music in the force awakens, the mods should feel free to lock and link me to it.

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
  11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Jobertus likes this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    fair enough - not offering a personal opinion (I'd prefer more niche threads myself) but the trend does seem to be for one thread for in depth discussion around all related aspects, and that is the main music thread that sees to have evolved to encompass threads like this.

13. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    If John Williams can come up with something as awesome as "Duel of the Fates" or "The Asteroid Field" for TFA, i am prepared to marry a 83 year old man:)

The great thing about Williams, as iconic as his themes are, he always manages to hold back, balance old with new, still give you goosebumps in a raw new way, clearing the way for new adventures, not only nostalgia. "Imperial March" is something i don`t expect to hear in TFA, but a new Wagner, Hitler nazi march version supporting the First Order, i am so ready for it.

14. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I suspect you're right, but I'll still miss it. OTOH, maybe the new "evil theme" will blow my socks off. Williams is, of course, a genius!

Othini likes this.
  15. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Agreed -- I think the music has just as big of an impact, if not more, than the acting as far as setting the mood. His music is what ties all of the films together. I really really really really hope the Episodic films are completed with John Williams as the composer. The thought of one of the Main 9 films NOT having a Williams score is scary, and I think that film would feel entirely disconnected from the rest.

DarthSheev and Commander Wolffe like this.
  16. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Imagine for example the order 66 scene without music, that wouldn't give us any feeling whatsoever. I agree it would be scary if William didn't do it.

17. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

The thing I really love about planning to watch TFA numerous times in theaters is the opportunity to familiarize myself with the new themes. I look forward to the day when I can place the new content up there with the old. Fingers crossed. :p

18. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    A little OT, but I took my sister (my parents' 11 year old "surprise baby") to see Age of Ultron last weekend just for the chance to see the trailer on the big screen. She's never shown any interest in Star Wars before, but has grown up with the Hunger Games and Divergent series and loves those. When Luke's theme hit, her eyes went wide. After the trailer she asked to watch Star Wars. Not gonna lie...I got a little emotional.

Darth Calvin likes this.
  19. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I'm hoping for a good balance between old and new themes.

Regarding old themes, I think there will be more from the OT because the ST is more close to that, but at least one familiar theme from the PT would be nice. I don't expect The Imperial March to be in TFA. It was not in ANH and very barely in TPM. Maybe we hear it in a slow version during the scene with Darth Vaders helmet.

As for new themes, there should be at least one that is as mind-blowing as the Imperial March or Duel of the Fates.

20. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014

I agree with you on the Imperial March; I'd prefer it to be used sparingly, and only when referencing Vader's legacy. I'm hoping Williams comes up with a great new theme for the First Order.

I'd expect the Force Theme to feature strongly throughout, and I'd be very happy if so.

Jobertus likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If there's a fast-pace lightsaber duel between pure good and pure evil, I would expect to hear Duel of the Fates.

22. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

I agree. If the Imperial March can be featured early on in TPM, then DOTF should be played sometime in the ST.

23. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I don't think Williams gets enough credit for his work on the prequels. More than any other aspect of the film, the gradual progression from Episode I to Episode IV was most evident in his music. In TPM we get slight hints of the Imperial March. In AOTC, we get a full blown version at the end of the film. We also get to hear the Emperor's theme. The Force theme is almost a military fanfare in the prequels, right up until the final scenes of ROTS where we get to hear the Imperial March, Leia's theme, Luke's theme (which is basically the main theme), ending with the Force theme as played in Binary Sunset, perfectly setting up Episode IV.

I wonder if the sequels will go in the opposite direction, with the OT themes having a position of prominence in the beginning with new themes being more prominent by the end of IX.

Jobertus and Mungo Baobab like this.
  24. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, I'm not the most ardent PT fan, but I do think that Williams' scores for all three are truly great. I know some consider them less iconic than the OT scores, but I think that they are up there. TPM in particular, is a fantastic score.

25. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I love the prequel work, good product, good reactions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.