main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Wikipedia is your friend

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Desplat

Desplat has worked on a variety of Hollywood films, including independent and commercial successes like The Queen, The Golden Compass, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 and Part 2, The King's Speech, Moonrise Kingdom, Argo, Rise of the Guardians, Zero Dark Thirty, Godzilla, The Imitation Game, and Unbroken.

He's got one hell of a CV, he worked with Edwards on Godzilla and he's already taken on a film in a franchise that was initially scored by John Williams. Perfect choice IMO.

TX-20 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Vohnkar likes this.
  3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Awful news. With Desplat, I was getting super excited at the thought of something new for the Star Wars universe. Now it'll just be a pale recreation of John Williams' style.
    It also makes me much more weary for the film itself (let's hope this studio BS doesn't also happen to Johnson and Williams for VIII, though I'm not very hopeful).

Eirikur, zam wesell2005 and B99 like this.
  4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Here's the Hollywood Reporter article on the switch in composers: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

It's disappointing that Desplat had to be replaced because of scheduling issues caused by the reshoots. I was quite looking forward to his take on Star Wars.

I also wonder if Disney/Lucasfilm picking Giachinno is a way for them to ease him into writing more music for future Star Wars films, especially in the event that Williams is unable to do Episode IX.

dekaneas, SWITS and Vohnkar like this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I hope this is a good change...

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    An understandable feeling, but absolutely not guaranteed. When he's directly inherited a franchise, as in Jurassic World, it's true that MG has kept the music of a piece. But when the story is new, separate piece unto itself, even within an established universe, Giacchino has shown he can create original, unexpected themes too:

Also, he's well-versed in war music via the MoH games:

I expect that since Rogue One is supposed to be more removed from the core saga, Giacchino will be free to depart from the usual themes, while still maintaining a general "Star Warsy" tone. It's not an understatement to say I love the vast majority of his work

Nickname320 likes this.
  7. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    What?! Wow, that's big news. I'm more comfortable with Giacchino than Desplat, but this is VERY late for such change IMO. I hope it's only a matter of news breaking late and in fact he's been working for some time already. I don't want it to be the first non-JW and the first 'meh' Star Wars score because of production rush...

Anyway, I'm sure that with him on board we're gonna get more of a straight JW tribute. I have a feeling he's gonna play it pretty safe. Just, please, no puns in the cue titles...

I'm wondering whether he'll use Desplat's themes/ideas or write everything from scratch.

SWITS likes this.
  8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I can't remember one dang thing from his Jurassic World score.

ewoksimon, Chris_Fives and B99 like this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    JW music wasn't that great imo!

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Giacchino is great.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It does kill the "The Reshoots are no big deal" line.
    They mucked up Desplats timetable to the point that he couldn't do the job.

If it's going to be a quick, time pressured, job, then sadly I won't expect much from it. Not knocking the new composer, but he's got to churn it out.

SWITS and Eirikur like this.
  12. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    While I do enjoy Michael Giacchino's work, I can't help but feel that Alexandre Desplat was the perfect fit for this movie. His work on Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, The Imitation Game, and The Danish Girl reflected his ability to offer a mature sense to both personal and large-scale drama. I want Rogue One to have that more realistic style felt in the music. Giacchino's work reflects more traditionally great scores, something better fit for the main SW saga.

ewoksimon, Eirikur and La Calavera like this.
  13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    2+ months is plenty of time for him to compose and score the film. If I recall correctly, Williams takes 4-6 weeks to compose, and the original '77 score was recorded in 11 days.

14. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Great news. Have been a huge fan of Giacchino ever since Lost.

TX-20, themoth and jordantwodelta like this.
  15. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    I as looking forward to Desplat, more than Williams. Late, for this. I do doubt it, but would not be shocked if the movie was move backed at this point to May.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

17. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    o/t but that is one of the best baseball game endings ever......unless your a yankees fan.

18. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I've loved Giacchino's work ever since I played the first Medal of Honor game on the Playstation 1. A fantastic choice for a Star Wars film :)

19. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I can't remember the last time I saw a major film change composers this late in the game. Disappointed we won't get to hear Desplat's stuff, but Giacchino is a great pick too.

20. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    did they change composers?

i dont ever seem to remember it being confirmed that anyone was a composer until now.

21. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I concur.
    And I find this sudden change pretty weird. Especially now after those reshoot rumors about “lighting up” the movie which, back then, I didn’t give much credit.

I guess we’ll see when the movie comes out.

22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    this has nothing to do with the tone (which means more comedic moments),

But the reshoots also altered the scoring calendar and Desplat, who won an Oscar for The Grand Budapest Hotel, was no longer available. Disney and Lucasfilm then turned to Giacchino, who has a long relationship with the studio and its various divisions.

'Star Wars: Rogue One' Replaces Its Composer (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It certainly raises my eyebrows, but I do like Giacchino.

24. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    So this confirms the reshoots were a big deal and not only planned reshoots. So the question still remained: Why the extensive reshoots?
    If you go by the choice of Giacchino, he could point at a more lighter direction for the movie. Lighter does not mean worse, it could mean more Star Wars too in fact. I don`t think by changing composers like these two, it means a degrade in quality. But the gritty, dark war film might have gone, instead for something a bit more optimistic. Thats my take on it. Giacchino is about the same level as Desplat, but his score are a bit more at the forefront of the films i believe, rather with Desplat, that keeps more in the background, more subtle maybe ( just a superficial analyze).

Listen to this track from the latest Star Trek movie. It sounds very Disney old school romantic almost. Its nice. But almost too much of sugar too. Which i also think his Jurassic World themes did for me, too sweet, too sentimental. He likes John Williams, and loves Star Wars though, thats for sure.

I am positive. But there is not much time....

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I was looking forward to Desplat's score, Now I'm looking foward to Giacchino's score.

TX-20 likes this.