main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    Upon my first viewing, I totally wrote off the score. However, I've grown to really appreciate it during subsequent viewings and it all seems to 'fit' the film. I think there were a couple of times it was somewhat jarring or out of place. I really like the music on Jedah. John Williams has set some very high standards- I mean to me he is integral to SW, though as someone mentioned he won't be around for ever. I think Michael Giacchino did a great job, especially given the time he had.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The Jedha music and the bittersweet stuff from near the end on Scarif was Giacchino's best.

3. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    Yes, Scarif was another part I really enjoyed. I can't recall the end part though, but I do remember the part as they were first coming into land.

4. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    It works better with more exposure for me, on third viewing it seemed to both fit the movie and Star Wars much better.

Blue 5 and BenYodaDagobah like this.
  5. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016
    I've really enjoyed the score for Rogue One. I love how Giacchino does his own thing in a lot of places with it, but I love all the homages and hybridization between ANH and ESB's scores with Williams' own style incorporated into it. For example, "Krennic's Aspirations" has the perfect balance of "original" and Williams motifs for the Imperials from both ANH and ESB balanced out. All in all it's a well put together and very memorable score overall. I couldn't really ask for more out of this score.

6. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Two I really love.

7. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016
    Also very good tracks as well!

OldTimeFan likes this.
  8. Darth Kocins

Darth Kocins Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2016
    I didn't think much of it in the beginning but now it's really grown on me. I am liking a lot of the score now, once the plans start transmitting is my favourite part of the score, beautifully done.

9. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Quoting myself to say I got what I wanted with "You're Father Would Be Proud", which like a lot of other people, is my favorite track. It wasn't the same scene I thought of, but the music definitely accompanies similar intimate moments in the movie.

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I didn't really like the score in this film. Nothing I heard really drew me in except for themes that had already been written by Williams in ANH.

11. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I thought the score fit the movie great. It's an anthology.

The musical score playing during Jyn and Cassian's death scene was very moving to me. In fact, from then on it was great.

Rogue One nailed the climax and ending in almost every facet.

12. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Like most here said, at first it did not stand out just on the emotional scenes it did. Now after hearing it played on SW channel 1138 it has grown on me. I really like the Jyn and Cassian ending.

Blue 5 and ISSD Executor like this.
  13. ISSD Executor

ISSD Executor Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2015
    Finally stuck the CD in the car today to really listen and agree with above posters. IIRC, the music swells and what sounds like vocal choir comes in as the wave approaches and hits Jyn and Cassian. Moving stuff.

Blue 5 likes this.
  14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    For a 4 week work, it's a ok soundtrack.
    If Giacchino was announced in the begining, this is would be really disappointed.

15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Anyone know which orchestra did the OST? I cannot find any mention of it in the booklet, only that Giacchino composed it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Agreed 100%. I even thought that a few times during my viewing of R1. Nothing in particular stood out for me except for the small homages you could faintly hear which was basically just altered JW pieces. The only two scores I found even remotely memorable was, obviously, the quiet Imperial March sample, and a scene (I forget which one in particular) that sounded like a slight mashup of "Binary Sunset" and "Han and Leia's love theme."

Really, very unmemorable and forgettable score IMO. Made me a tad bit sad.

Darth_Nubian likes this.
  17. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    The best score by far is "Your Father Would Be Proud" which plays during the final minutes of Scarif. The musical cues in this piece are so emotional and fits the visuals presented on screen so beautifully. It makes me cry once I listen to it, even without the movie. I think it has to do with the fact that there's little dialogue and only visuals.

During this song, we see many powerful scenes which fit the music perfectly:

- The Death Star appears
    - Tarkin says "You may fire when ready"
    - Elevator scene
    - Krennic looks straight into his greatest creation, and is about to get killed by it
    - "Rogue One, may the Force be with you..."
    - Hugging scene
    - Darth Vader looks through the window
    - The data uploading is complete

Too many great scenes in what's hardly a few minutes. They really hit the spot here.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I answered this questions pages back. It's a Hollywood orchestra put together for this score recording, which is common practice for most film scores, even John Williams' stuff. It's much more rare for something like Star Wars that features a famous and standalone orchestra like the LSO.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  19. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I liked Rogue One overall but John Williams >>>

The music was like wannabe Star Wars music that just didn't quite cut it.

The movie overall was one of the better SW movies though.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, I liked bits of it, but overall, I think Giacchino isn't on the Williams level.

Desplat, on the other hand, is definitely on that level, and I will forever wonder what his score would have sounded like...

cwustudent likes this.
  21. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    It wasn't great, but I think he did do an adequate job. Probably would have done better than adequate if given more time. I would not be opposed to him doing more in the future, although I would like to see others get a chance first.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    City of Stars... Are you shining just for me?

Howard Hand likes this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You might need to listen closely for this one. Keep in mind the difference in tempo. Here's two imperial march references, though curiously they sound closer to each other than to the Imperial march. Could it be a reference to Williams' episode I score by Giacchino? I think its a cool coincidence if not.

1:16-1:25

0:25-0:30 listen to the trumpet. Try to zone out the rest.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  24. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't get what people had against this score. I thought it was pretty much on point all across the board. Granted John Williams is on another level, but that shouldn't diminish what Giacchino did here.

25. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I thought the music was fine for the most part, but one thing REALLY bugged me: The "Rogue One" title scene music. It sounded...ugh...how do I say this...like they had to find a generic Star Wars-theme-sounding imitation substitute song (Normally heard when people parody Star Wars and don't want to bother with the rights of the Williams theme). I thought this was really weird since they use a few classic Williams cues in Rogue One anyway. They should've done a brief version of the "Star Wars" fanfare as the title music for Rogue One (and any future anthology film).
    The title cue was the only thing I really hated about Rogue One.

Jester J Binks, Sarge and Guidman like this.