main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Enter the Episode IX Treatment Contest! Details here!

3. A Rule For Everyone To See:

The New Films staff strive to create a fun and welcoming environment for all users. This forum is a place for discussing the films, which means that you think the films are worth discussing. Constructive criticism (as deemed by the moderating staff) is welcome and encouraged. Bashing of any kind will not be tolerated anywhere outside The Sanctuary thread. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Anthology (Released Films)' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Especially when one considers the very brief time he had to compose it. MG has a unique ability to take a few notes of a well known theme and reinvent/re-imagine it into an entirely new yet somehow familiar one. "The Imperial Suite" is a great example of this.

Blue 5 likes this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's truly stunning to me how good MG's score is considering how little time he had. I listen to it on shuffle with Ep 7 and 8 scores all the time and it holds up perfectly well. Truly a wonderful job by MG. He continues to be my favorite younger composer. Here's to decades more good stuff from him!

I mean I ripped the end titles audio off the blu ray and made my own "Hope/End Titles" track and I will say I do love it, but the transition from JW's iris out Star Wars music piece into Giacchino's Jyn's theme is kind of awkward... not nearly as effortless as it should have been.

3. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Agreed, it isn't very smooth. Do you think it's because they used a recording from a previous film and tried to blend it into the Jyn Erso theme?

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't think the music was bad. It was just passable. However, I did enjoy the variations of Williams' themes. Just different takes of familiar themes. I liked the music in trailers better, however. More subtle and foreboding.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Seth, I am not sure. It seems like that is a new recording of the end titles cue but I am no expert.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Force Ghost star 8

Feb 18, 2014
    The music was good for not being Williams

Snafu55 likes this.