main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Music of TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Now I start to wonder if any of the bonus arcs will also use an orchestra like the Fugitive arc.

2. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Add me too to the ones who'd absolutely love an OST released. So many memorable themes!

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Here's a mix of some of Kiner's better themes:

4. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    More Death Watch themes from A Friend in Need:

"Hey kid, you're late!"

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Kiner was nothing short of masterful with his use of variations on his Ahsoka motif throughout the series.

6. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Is there something wrong with me if I consider the music just generic unmemorable schlock?

Seriously, its mostly just cookie-cutter ominous chorus voices and some trumpets/drums.

7. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I used to think that too, but then I realized it was just because it's usually mixed really low compared to everything else in the audio. It can't hit as hard when it's so quiet, and it's a lot harder to pick motifs out of what you're hearing.

9. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    A couple of themes from Eminence, which IMO had some fantastic Death Watch themes:

The beginning of Maul's unholy alliance with Death Watch

Maul, Savage, and Death Watch visit Black Sun on Mustafar

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Yes there is something wrong with you :p

11. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    And I thought this thread was in danger of heading for Zombie status.
    [​IMG]

TheMDOSS1313 likes this.
  12. SidoDyas

SidoDyas Jedi Master star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Hey all. Over 30 tracks from the series been posted on Kevin Kiner's website (www.kevinkiner.com). There's some good stuff there, particularly from the later seasons.

13. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Here's hoping he releases Savage Opress's full theme soon. Would love that. :D

Circular Logic likes this.
  14. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012

I completely agree about the fugitive arc. The final scene's music is the only bit I can recall from TCW, and the only one that's left a lasting impression on me the way some classic SW themes have. Bless whoever realized it was time to ditch the triumphant horns for that particular credit reel.

15. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Yep. It's nice that Kiner took the time to post practically every theme from the Fugitive arc, which contained many of his best themes to date. In particular, the following tracks from that arc were standouts:
    • Buzz Droids
    • Jedi Eulogy
    • Wish Me Luck
    • Lightsaber Duel on Level 1315/Ahsoka is Captured
    • Duel in the Jedi Temple
    • Ahsoka's Decision
    • Anakin Talks to Ahsoka (this is the final theme of The Wrong Jedi and easily Kiner's most prominent theme)
    There were also many other tracks that caught my ear, including some with orchestral themes:
    • Indian Pop Source (upbeat music playing at Hondo's lair, reminds me of Indian bhangra music)
    • Anakin and Padme (neat theme, I don't remember which episode it played in, or whether it was from the movie)
    • A True Trooper (nice choral theme)
    • Your People Are Waiting (only track with a Death Watch theme here)
    • Everyone Fighting (nice chorus in the middle and the end)
    • Hamlet-Like Tragedy & Father's Sacrifice (from Mortis arc)
    • Calm Before the Storm
    • A Born Leader
    • Train Fight (great theme from Bounty)
    • Withdraw the Army (ending theme from Tipping Points, including Steela's funeral)
    I do second The Shadow Emperor though. Kiner needs to release the Savage Opress theme and associated Death Watch/Maul themes, particularly from those from A Friend in Need and Eminence!

16. WampaSwamp

WampaSwamp Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2011
    The best aspects of Kiner's music are when he has actual instruments to work with. But the show's music can sound "cheap" when he reverts back to synthy trumpets and the like. Can't really blame him for that though as you can't expect an orchestra for every single episode.

Cevan likes this.
  17. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011

Holy smokes that finale music. It's genuinely great. I'm not sure if it's the use of the orchestra or the fact that the music track is cranked up to hearable levels or both. All I know is that music is a gigantic part of experiencing Star Wars for me.

Kevin Kiner, with this track you made me feel like I was watching Star Wars moreso than any other episodes in the series.

I know the music for the fugitive has been brought up a bunch times already in this thread, but I think it bears repeating.

18. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The reprise of Ahsoka's theme at the end really does it for me.

Convor likes this.
  19. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It's masterful. The mournful stringsy version of Binary Sunset (which is itself always a somewhat emotion-stirring melody) mixing into the mournful, YoYo Ma style rendering of Ahsoka's theme. I mean the way her theme is done at the end really screams "THIS IS THE COMING-TO-AN-END OF SOMETHING BIG!!!" It feels like a requiem, both for Ahsoka as a character in the show and for the show itself. Which, of course, it was, with the show being cancelled at that point.

Circular Logic likes this.
  20. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I was just re-watching Revenge, and there's a great musical cue that plays when Ventress lands on the planet where Maul and Savage are holding Obi-Wan. It's got the usual strings that go along with her character, mixed in with some unusual horns and percussion that make it feel a bit more epic. I had no memory of it until this moment, but I have to say I rather enjoyed it this time around.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From the other music thread.

At this point in human history, almost every piece of fiction is derivative in one form or another. Look at TCW itself- it drew a lot of inspiration from a variety of sources, especially the movies themselves. And Kiner's certainly not the only composer to emulate Williams, either. Every SW video game I've played has music in the style of Williams' SW stuff. It makes sense, really, that they'd want to compose thematically and structurally similar scores.

And whenever Kiner used movie themes, he often made pretty distinct variations that added his own personal touch to the music and made it his own. If that's derivative, then I'm all for it. Taking a good thing and using it slightly differently is hard to mess up, unless it's too obvious or just jarring. Half of the movie quotes inserted into the show- jarring. Some musical cues inserted into the show- a lot more natural.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    I've also been re-directed from the other thread.

Just downloaded Kiner's 50+ tracks (http://www.kevinkiner.com/music/) and am having no luck organizing them chronologically. Was wondering if anyone else has tried to figure it out...

23. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    The episode numbers used in the file names are not the air date numbers, but the production codes. So "The Wrong Jedi" is listed as 5-11, and not as it aired 5-20. This applies to almost everything except:
    CW_Battle_Of_Christophsis - Clone Wars movie (and the exact track from the OST)
    • CW_Rancor_Fight - Clone Wars movie (deleted scene)
    • CW_Slick_Fight_&_Clone_Theme.mp3 - while it sounds like the Chase Through Coruscant from AOTC, I think its from 1-16 (or production code 2-01) The Hidden Enemy
    • CW_Plokoon_Fights_Droids - don't know yet, from Nomad Droids maybe?

24. bubahofett007

bubahofett007 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2014
    3 of the songs don't stream on his site: Luminara Ending, Padme's Speech, & Father's Sacrifice. Does anyone have them?

25. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    PM Sent