main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The music of The Clone Wars - weekly scores by Kevin Kiner

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Glymphid_Warlord, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    No, the original song itself is repetitive. It's just a single phrase repeated over and over with very little variation, just like in the CW episode.

2. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    To help illustrate this discussion, I've put together a little MP3 comparing two segments from the Downfall of a Droid to the Dracula soundtrack:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PHUHG51Q

3. The_Attackinator

The_Attackinator Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    Thank you so much for putting this up! EVERYONE who has any doubts about Kiner's rip-offs should check this out!

4. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Guys, I know of only maybe one person here who is denying that the pieces are very similar or identical.

What I'm saying it we don't know for a fact that Kiner purposefully chose to rip it off. Maybe it's coincidence. Maybe there are differences we're not hearing in the TCW mix. Maybe they are the same but Kiner obtained permission.

You guys hear it and are just assuming the guy is taking the time to steal music.

What I'm saying is: Yeah, maybe he did. It sounds suspicious. I'll totally grant you that. But we don't know.

And accusing the guy of being a thief when none of us are involved with the production is a bit rash, it seems to me.

5. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I for one am not accusing Kiner of being a musical thief. I just think it's a real shame to use the Dracula soundtrack in the Clone Wars cartoon, as it took me completely out of that scene and felt really out of place. I really believe Kiner might have gotten the rights to use that track as a basis for his composition, otherwise this has lawsuit written all over it. I do not believe it could have been a coincidence, they are just too similar in too many different aspects. And as a composer, Kevin Kiner should be familiar with such a prominent work as the Dracula score to be able to identify if his "new" composition was sounding a bit too similar to it.

6. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ok, re-reading my first posts in this thread, I guess I did accuse Kiner of commiting musical crime. I guess what I meant is that it's a "crime" not to use original musical in such a high-profile series, and unless they bought the rights to use the Dracula soundtrack, then they are indeed commiting plagiarism, a real crime. Since I don't know the legal aspects of this matter, I retain only the "musical crime" aspect of it, you don't hire a composer to copy/paste works from others (unless it's John Williams or John McNeely, which makes total sense in this case).

7. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    How sweet would it be to bring in some of Joel's themes?
    Especially the Coruscant stuff...sense it's the one that will fit thematically

8. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh yeah, the Coruscant theme would be bliss! Destruction of Xizor's Palace could easily fit any epic action sequence as well, with the celebration at the end.

And yes, Joel McNeely, sorry for the misspelling.

9. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Funny, I didn't even catch that. I used his first name in the post because I couldn't remember how to spell his last name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.