main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Music of the Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Zandalor, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Could you point us to that research? The credits for every episode of the show says that Kevin Kiner does the music.

2. Darth_Comrade

Darth_Comrade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2009
    I too am with this idea. I've so far enjoyed almost every track I've heard on the show and would love to be able to play it back.

I hope they've got licencing to do it and haven't fallen for the same trap Lucasarts have with KOTOR.

3. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    One original theme to the series I loved was the music to Bombad Jedi, particuarly that rousing Celtic beat that plays during a lot of Jar Jar's antics in that episode. It really captured the mood, especially that of Jar Jar's haphazard heroics.

I consider that Jar Jar's theme now, it works so well for him! ;)

EDIT: In fact, if they ever put out a soundtrack for this show, let me know- I've been itching to get that tune raw so I can listen to it sans sound effects. Sure, it's only like thirty seconds long, but it's great. ^_^

4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Can you explain? I know nothing of this.

Surely if Lucas owns LucasArts he owns the music?

5. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    There have been a couple of cool horn motifs (sometimes muted) over the last few episodes that have reminded me of the ANH score... they catch me ear because they sound less contemporary, and I've liked them. The music at the end of Voyage of Temptation had the makings of a pretty good love them for Obi and Satine, too.

6. Darth_Comrade

Darth_Comrade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2009
    Well, the music composers of Republic Commandos, KOTOR, and some of the other Lucasarts games have tried to discuss licensing with Lucasarts in order to release the game soundtracks due to fan demand but have failed in doing so.

I suppose George Lucas would have the power to release it if he so wishes, but I'm assuming Lucas Animation and Kevin Kiner would need to have discussed it with him during preproduction, something lucasarts composers didn't do...or couldn't do.

The thing about licensing is that it differs with each production. One can only hope.

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I never even notice the music, it's -that- unremarkable. And I'm a musician myself, and used to paying attention to the music.

The only music I can think of that really stood out to me was the Battle of Christophsis.

All the other times I'm noticing the music is when the panpipes are annoying the hell out of me.

Kevin Kiner can't hold a candle to John Williams, but I guess no one can. John Williams music just says Star Wars more than anything else.

Everytime a piece of JW comes by (for example when Anakin killed Marick), I'm sitting up straight in my chair, wondering what kind of music was actually playing before it.

8. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I'm just rewatching Season One on Blu-ray now (looks awesome on Blu-ray, rather than the 4:3 Canada SD broadcasts we were getting), and did anyone else notice that the exact tune for the "military theme" of Wrath of Khan is played several times in Shadow of Malevolence, starting when Yularen walks down the bridge?

Khan music was used in Cat and Mouse as well.

9. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm a musician as well, and I have to say that it sometimes does get repetitive, but some original musical scores stand out for me. An example: the funeral in Senate Murders.

10. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    I think the biggest problem with the music in the show is we don't hear the same music often. How many times is the Empire music played in the movies, a lot. I think the composer of the songs just needs to create some good music that can be replayed every so often. The music in this series is of course going to be different and never live up to John Williams but it does have its own tone and if it can stick with it is can make The Clone Wars work. For instance I see no reason why the battle of christopisis cannot be altered just barely in other battle scences. That piece seems to fit with the style of the opening. The tower being destroyed in the genosis arc was also a good one. I just think there needs to be music from the series replayed every once in a while so it starts to stand out to us. Having totally different styles of music makes it hard to get use to it.

11. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Thank you for bringing this up! I noticed it in Cat and Mouse, but not in Shadow of Malevolence. I'll check it out. I for one am getting sick of Kiner's ripoffs. face_sick]

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The music isn't the only "rip off."

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said he made a special theme for Ahsoka, and possibly the other characters, but I haven't heard Ahsoka's since the movie.

14. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I thought I heard Ahsoka's theme somewhere in Season 2, but I can't remember what episode it was. [face_thinking]

15. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    I'm aware of that too. ;) I've been following it all from the start, at a film music forum:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discussion/748/6/kevin-kiner/#Item_29
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discussion/748/7/kevin-kiner/#Item_8
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discussion/748/7/kevin-kiner/#Item_26

16. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    I wonder if it'd be possible to ever confront dave/Lucasfilm about Kiner's ripoffs... [face_thinking]

17. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I doubt they're even aware. But they should be aware of his awfulness.

18. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly. I want Kiner either fired and replaced by another, or whipped into shape by the time of at least season 4. Well what should we do about it? A petition? Or pose it as a question for Dave, the next time he agrees to answer questions from the members of these boards? I really want something to be done about this.

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Filoni's done that before?! :eek:

20. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    IIRC, yeah he has.

21. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    So... Is anyone with me? Shall we take this issue to Filoni?

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You mean Lucas? :p

23. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Or whoever is in charge. I'm really serious about this, though. It bugs me that I can't go through a single episode without being appalled by the poor quality of the music, and the incessant ripoffs.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just to add it to the list, part of a cue from the Judge Dredd score was used again (last time was in the Virus episodes) in Bounty Hunters.

25. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    ... Wow... Speaking of a list, perhaps one of us should compile a list of all the Kiner ripoffs to date... [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.