main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The music of the Star Wars TV series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Emperor Pinguin, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor Pinguin

Emperor Pinguin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2000
    The music is one important part of the whole SW experience of the movies. Untill now only John Williams has made music for the SW movies.
    Can/will he be involved in the music for the live action TV series? And which music we know from the movies will we hear in the live action TV series?

EP

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Good point to raise - but I don't think anything is known yet at all. Probably williams will be involved, and I expect some new music!

3. Emperor Pinguin

Jan 11, 2000
    I hope to hear new music as well.

I think we hear some familiair music, the SW them of course. Hopefully also the Emperial music.
    But a lot of music is character related, for example Yoda, Anakin, Leia have their own theme. Would be interesting to hear what the new music and (character) themes will be.

EP

4. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I think John Williams will be doing the music for the TV Series.

5. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    That's my biggest problem with the show actually. The story will be great (hey George writes the first parts of it), I am very confident, that ILM will make this show look like a motion picture production, what I am really worried about is the music. I do not think they will be able to hire John Williams for the job. It is very much work to write music for 20 episodes in one year, I do not think that Williams will agree to do it.
    So they will have to find a good replacement. Someone who has a feeling for Williams style. That could turn out difficult.

6. electrobc1

electrobc1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 15, 2003
    I don't see it... John Williams is awfully expensive, and they're aiming for million-dollar episodes.

There's going to be a HUGE gap between the movies and the TV shows. 40 minute episodes at $1 million each? Episode 3 cost what, $150 million?

I imagine a souped-up Stargate is the type of thing that's coming.

I'd forget about super-choreographed saber duels, big-name actors/actresses, and John Williams. Not to say they can't put out a great series, because with some good writing and smart producers, they can. But it won't be on par with the films, the budget just won't allow for it.

Of course, that's not to say that some of William's material won't be used...

7. Emperor Pinguin

Jan 11, 2000
    Good points on the budget for not taking JW on board for the TV series. But to aim for that 'low' budget could also mean no JW....!?

A lot of people that worked on the movies are very much working behind doors and can and will be replaced for the TV shows. I am sure there are other very talented composers out there that are more then happy to take JW's place. But replacing JW will be more 'visible'.

EP

8. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Well we'll see GL said that he's trying make something that would normally cost 20-30 million for 1 million dollars. GL already has a lot of the resources to make the show and will probably cast a lot of unknown actors which he has done in the past. I thought John Williams was Gerorge Lucas's friend so I think he might do at least the music for some episodes or maybe they can him for all of them.

9. electrobc1

electrobc1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 15, 2003
    Anything is possible, it just doesn't seem realistic.

Take Indiana Jones for example. John Williams did the films (and will do Indy 4). But when the TV show came out, they used a handful of people to score the various episodes...

He's got a lot of friends, like Speilberg (who he still does music for). Then there's Superman, Harry Potter, and all the other projects. Where's he going to find time for a TV series? I don't see him doing it as a favor.

And it might not be as bad as you think without him. Splitting the duties between a few people might be better anyway - and JW isn't exactly a spring chicken anyway.

So long as I don't hear Hoobastank or the Goo Goo Dolls during the show it should all work out just fine. Have faith.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I also don't think Williams will be doing the music for the series.

I'm actually hoping that Joel McNeely gets the gig because he did a fantastic job with the Shadows of the Empire score, and I'd love to get some more Star Wars music from him.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I would be nice if we got Williams, but I doubt it. Maybe he'll recomend someone good.

12. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I don't think it will be bad without John Williams they'll probably get another good guy to do the music. You made good points and you are rihgt John Williams probably will not do the music for the TV Series.

13. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    He could possibly get him for a song or two. Maybe for whichever rouge jedi emerges and Bail.

14. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes maybe they can get him for a few episodes even.

15. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I highly doubt they could get Williams for the TV series. Apart from the obvious things that everyone has pointed out, when was the last time Williams did a TV series? As far as I know, he left them behind before even ANH! He's too expensive, too busy.

Personally, I agree that Joel McNeely could do a good job. I think our best hope with JW is that he writes a few themes and then other composers work them into a series, ala Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, or (God Forbid) Jurrassic Park 3.

16. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Well I'm guessing he could do a few song or episodes for the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series.

17. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I would really like Michael Giacchino to do it. His scores for Alias and Lost are outstanding. In Alias he has developed a complex tapestry of leitmotif themes for major characters and plots, as opposed to some of the really awful atmospheric music many shows get.

18. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I'd really like some fresh blood working on the score. I think its time to expand the musical universe a bit.

19. QuantumAdam

QuantumAdam Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    I think they should also get Joel McNellie from the SOTE soundtrack back. They should also experiment more, not just always John Williams music, expand out some.

20. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I don't know who should do it but i doubt it will be Williams he is far too expensive plus he is the most busiest music producer in the world doing so many projects he probably couldn't even if he wanted to.

21. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, other people have done very well on the games and things, so maybe those people?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Jeremy Soule did the original music for Bounty Hunter, Clint Bajakian did the music for Dark Forces (though that was midi, not orchestral), Jesse Harlin did some great work for Republic Commando.

Still, since the SOTE soundtrack was an actual stand-alone CD release and not specifically designed as a video game soundtrack, as well as integrating original themes and Williams music, it's probabaly the best example.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I just hope its new, JW or not, instead of putting in old star wars songs, because those songs often go with certain sequences, and aren't as good elsewhere. Of course the main theme and Imperial march are requirements.

24. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I think they are going to have new music.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, you'll probably see some pieces of music reused- as Episodes 2 and 3 set that unfortunate precedent, but I think most will be original compositions with existing themes interwoven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.