The Music Tavern

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 8, 2003.

Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    You mean you haven't seen the new "NO" footage that's been floating around? It seems to be on every other site. Even just like, the news.
  2. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Yeah, it's everywhere, but you still have to click on it. And they don't show that trivial stuff on the 8 o'clock news.
  3. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The ?Nooooooo!? is pretty bad. Actually, it?s really bad. It?s neck in neck with Greedo shooting first for the worst "special edition" change in the history of the saga. At least the ?No!? in Jedi, from a purely sound perspective, sounds a little less stupid than the one in Sith. Why a person would want to take the worst moment from Sith and arbitrarily tack it onto another movie, I?ll never know. You guys may remember that I used to be a huge George Lucas apologist, but as more and more time passes it has now become clear that many of his action cannot be defended.

Truthfully, as much as I love these movies (and I?ll be buying them yet again), I view the entire saga as more of a missed opportunity than a great achievement in film. They are insanely entertaining as they are, but oh what could have been! Only two of the six films reached their full potential. That being said, I?ll happily pay to see them each when they are released in 3D in the coming years. It?s the curse of being a Star Wars fan, I guess.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    my posts still blow!
  4. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    When I first heard of the ROTJ "No", I thought it was an internet joke. Then after I saw the confirmed footage, I thought "OMG, Lucas didn't really do that, did he?". After watching it a few more times, I have the following thoughts:

- It's not as bad as the ROTS "Noooo!". (It's obviously meant to mirror Anakin's decision during the Mace-Palpy fight, not the "Frankenstein's monster" scene.)

- I think if it was just the first "No", it would work much better. It's the second one that induces cringing.

- If ROTJ had been made like this originally (especially with only the first "No"), nobody would be upset with it. Maybe someone might have thought "Maybe it would work better if Vader silently picks up the Emperor and we just focus on the score...", which it does.

I, too, have been somewhat of a Lucas apologist on the SE/DVD changes. Some of them have been really good and made sense (Adding Ian to ESB). Some have been ill-advised and destroy the original feel of the films (Changing "Bring my shuttle" to "Alert my blah blah blah"/insert ROTJ footage into ESB). And some, even if you accept George's philosophy, were just poorly executed (even if you don't care if Han shot first, that edit looks terrible in every incarnation). The main problem I have is meddling with really important and iconic scenes that have nothing wrong with them.
  5. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    The internet-whining about "Greedo shoots first" was 87 times more annyoing, pointless, distracting and laughably silly than the change itself. The order they paint laser blasts in is utterly insignificant compared to the return of Luke Skywalker's father. Han & Greedo is a moment. The battle between Vader and Anakin is THE moment.

Ugh.
  6. aalagartassle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Ahh A music tavern, I must say it's better than listening to a dripping tap!

Ok barkeep I'll have a Reactor Core and maybe a lum chaser

I'll put on the Cantina band [for posterity], then I think a bit of Tool - Eulogy
    Follwed by Puccini Tosca Recondita armonia

Sits on bar stool and eats the nibbly food.
  7. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Haven't posted here in ages.
  8. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    What a delightful and insightful post. Why it certainly adds to the conversation...
  9. aalagartassle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    shh! it's coming up to the trilled fermata
  10. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    You guys better start putting up some decorations in here for John Williams' 80th birthday this Wednesday.

All his music is already loaded in the jukebox. Just make sure you have plenty of grog and catsup in stock for the week.

//plays "The Imperial March" on jukebox
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Huh, cool; didn't know his age.

My Logitech Z906s arrived today. :D Gorgeous sound and oodles of inputs-1 RCA, 1 computer, 2 optical. Plus it has a remote, so no more getting up to turn down the speakers. :D

[image=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/406516_10150649860232247_645052246_11626799_1910481750_n.jpg]

You can see the subwoofer, left-front and right-front speakers, center speaker, and console here, along with my xbox, apple tv, and Kinect. The other two speakers are on opposite sides of our living room.

-The apple TV is a nifty device for listening to music on a laptop. It's hooked via optical cable to the speakers; you can stream music from a laptop, iPod, etc, to them through it. Also streams video and such.
  12. aalagartassle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    NICE looks like a great setup
    Play the imperial march full bore [or at least make your windows shake

*******Pours a Corellian ale*******

Listens to a simple four chord song AXIS OF AWESOME!!! look it up on utube, it might just change your perspective on alot of popular music
  13. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Eh, it makes my head hurt to turn the volume up past seven or so... :p But yes, I love it. Planning on extending the whole AirPlay system through our house through a combination of AppleTVs and computer monitors/nice speakers. Already have a Z906 in the living room and a Z506 in the study; probably going to go with these for the guest bedroom and our bedroom, or alternately these.

14. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    *Comes in and sits on a bar stool* Hello? Any of the old patrons still kicking around here?
  15. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    EDIT: Double post
    Last edited by JEDIGUNSHIP, Sep 6, 2012
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  17. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  19. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    For over a thousand days, the Tavern was the haven of peace and justice on the old JC. Before the Dark Times. Before the Temp Forums.
    Zeta1127 and DarthBoba like this.
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    lol. Of course. In other news, I finally completed my AirPlay setup.
  21. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Cool.

I'm still working on my puppy setup.
    Last edited by General Kenobi, Sep 8, 2012
  22. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  23. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Tavern folk, meet my new puppy, Shiloh:

[IMG]
    Last edited by General Kenobi, Sep 8, 2012
  24. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  25. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, but I fixed it! The magic of the Edit button!

Either that, or my dog has a cloaking device. :cool:
Moderators: Darth_Nub