The Music Tavern...

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Guess what? ;) I passed my Analysis exam!!! :D :D :cool: YEAH!!! ::dances around in joy::
  2. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    w00t! You go girl! ;)

When didja take it? Just this morning?
  3. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Bah! Some tavern! Here I sit with my luke-warm blue milk staring down at a greasy table. The Tavern's empty and it's friday night. The Modal Nodes has wailing on TEH JUKEBOX's tinny speakers since early this week.

I NEED COMPANY.
  4. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    Teh tavern owns.

Sorry, just came out of games...
  5. Emperor_Dan Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry Sithy. Looks like everyone went out to TEH MOVIE THEATRE. ;)

So...

Grog me, barkeep.
  6. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm currently watching Teh Big Lebowski. Funny frickin' movie.
  7. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, folkses. Thought I'd stop in...I haven't been to the Music forum in a while. In response to a question on the first page: I've had Chicago's Chicago 21, Toto's Toto IV, Hardline's Double Eclipse, and Matt Maher's The End and the Beginning in my CD player the last few days. I'll try to swing by later and catch up on more of the conversation.
  8. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    \\slides grog mug down counter to Dan\\

And bah! TEH MOVIE THEATER is only for people who can spend money that often. :mad: I would rather rent TEH DVD.
  9. AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    TEH MOVIE THEATER isn't very expensive when you can get your parents to pay for you! ;)
    Still TEH DVD does have quality sound and picture and I can watch it on the computer.
  10. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Actually, it's even *better* when you can get your friends to pay for TEH THEATER- then you don't have to pay AND you don't have to go with your parents (eek!). :D
  11. GasCabbie Jedi Master

star 4
    Am I the only one who rarely notices the surround tracks at TEH THEATER?

That's the way the movie soundtrack is supposed to be, but it's still wrong. ;)
  12. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Return of the Jedi was the first movie I remember watching that I really paid attention to the music during the movie, as well as the images and dialogue. After watching X-Files: Fight the Future, I immediately went out and got that soundtrack, just as an example. That now ranks as one of my favorite non-John Williams soundtracks.
  13. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Gas, "surround tracks"? Wha-?

You mean like surround sound speakers behind you and all?
  14. GasCabbie Jedi Master

star 4
    Yup! "Soundtrack" is a word used either to describe the score of a movie, or also describing all the sound heard in the film. I'm using the second definition, there.

When 'soundtracks' are mixed, sound engineers have a whole mess of numbers they use to determine how loud each sound should be in each speaker. Traditionally, the surround channels are mixed quiet and are just for litte environmental sounds like birdies chirping and crap. I read it in the National Enquirer. :p

Really, I was making a dumb gripe just to make conversation. That has apparently failed. ;)
  15. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol Gas, not only have you made conversation, you've completely confused me as well! :D
  16. Emperor_Dan Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand what he's saying!
  17. Maatkk Force Ghost

star 2
    Finally, here I am, sitting in a dark corner of the infamous Music Tavern, sipping an 'ol spicy ale to the sound of the Jizz band..... THIS IS LIFE :D !!!
  18. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I'm back in Teh Tavern!!! :D

Sorry guys, I was at home for the weekend and I was so busy that I barely had time to check my e-mails. :p

So anyways. I like going to teh theater rather than renting teh videocassettes, because here most of the movies in teh theater are in original with subtitles, but on teh videocassettes they're dubbed. And I hate teh dub. :mad:

Of course, the only exception are the movies that are suitable for children (i.e. rated G and PG in USA), which are dubbed also in teh theater releases. Like AOTC. :mad: I saw the FL trailer with LOTR and I almost started crying - the dub was SO TERRIBLE! The voices didn't match at all, and the voice acting was awfully poor. :[face_sigh]: Oh well. It's going to be a bittersweet experience on May 16th... :(
  19. GasCabbie Jedi Master

star 4
    That's too bad. Maybe when it's out on tape, they will release a subtitled version along with the dubbed version, like with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Also, for the record, "Jizz Band" has to be the biggest Star Wars name faux pas ever! ;)
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    OK Here I am!!! I am back. I finished moving into my new place and I have internet back...

Sithman to answer your question I was moving from one apartment to another. I have not lived with my parents for years. :D

21. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol, good, Stri, you had me scared for a minute there. :p

Aw, Mar, I'm sowwy. :( That really stinks. The only movie I've ever seen dubbed is Godzilla 1985 (NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER see this movie! :D ) and the voice acting was soooo bad. I would cry if that's how I had to see Star Wars. :(
  22. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah most Europeans speak English and so they all hate the dubbed versions because they would rather see them in English. They also hate the DVD releases cuz they come out in Europe (Region 2) as dubbed as well, but they cannot just buy the English versions as imports from America cuz those are Region 1... sucks the big one if you ask me.

See, for me... I'd love to get Star Wars and other films I love on DVD in German so I can use them as a tool to help me with my German... but I have a Region 1 player and all those DVDs are Region 2 :mad:
  23. AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    A saw Life is Beautiful dubbed and I saw it with sub-titles. Sub-titles are so much better I think!
  24. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Strilo, you're right. Actually, here in Czech Republic (and Slovakia), the DVDs are in different versions - 2 or 3 dubs, and 4 - 6 subtitles (usually Slovak and/or Czech, German, French, and something else).

And Gas, they won't release it in two versions. On the contrary, if there's a non-dubbed (only subtitled) movie in the theater (most of the movies - rated PG-13 and more), they leave it subtitled for the theater release and dub it for the VCR release. The only exception I saw was Schindler's List - that one was kept original even on VCR. It was a very pleasant surprise... :)
  25. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I forget, Mar, what country are you from?
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.