main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Mysterious Admiral in Aftermath

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    How many people here really had a serious problem with Vos in TCW? He wasn't as broody as some of the comics, but he wasn't brooding in all the comics either. My memory was that a few people didn't like him and the rest were sort of "oh hey it's Vos. And Nal Hutta." People had a more serious problem with the Hutt gender thing when that episode came out.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What, the one episode? Eh, there were worse problems. The main issue was how it was going to fit with the DHC issues, but Chee assured us all he had a master plan for a Clone Wars unified timeline. (And he did, sort of)

The book is solely the NEU's problem, fortunately.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh well now the book is another kettle of bigger fish altogether. Vos had issues but Ventress... yeesh. Poor Ventress.

On the subject of Thrawn -- if it is* Thrawn -- am I the only one who's looking forward to it anymore? Rebels is far from a bad show; if anything, I'd trust them more than a one-off comic book to do him justice. And honestly, I'd rather see him in something new than watch the character disappear into Legends dust over the next few decades. And if he's in Aftermath too, so be it.

*watch it be Booster Terrik.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Or to bring up another Will Smith movie, how I Am Legend related to Matheson's original story

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Didn't Pablo Hidalgo say that the whole canon/Legends divide was done so they could "preserve [the EU] in amber," though? Some things are best left in amber.

(With our luck, canon!Thrawn will be a Duro.)

6. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    If the mysterious Fleet-Admiral is a new character, then there is no point in keeping him mysterious. The revelation of his identity would be meaningless, because so far the character was of no importance to us.

And if it is an established character, we must have seen him before in the NEU, which makes someone like Thrawn unlikely. Besides, if it looks like Thrawn, is called Thrawn, but doesn't behave like Thrawn, it isn't Thrawn.

A more fitting re-canonized Grand Admiral would be Zaarin. He loves music and he has no problem screwing the Empire over (remember his attacks on the TIE-Defender-facilities).

Considering this, the most likely candidates are Konstantine, Titus and - although less likely - Yularen and even Kallus IMHO.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Using Legends characters doesn't do anything to change Legends. What are you even talking about?

Just a little while ago everyone was thrilled about things being "recanonized."

We were told from day 1 that Legends would be mined for ideas. That includes lifting and/retrofitting characters or planets.

The concern should be whether it's done well, that is -- is neo-Thrawn a good character and would he be a good character without riding the real Thrawn's coat tails? If so, good. If not, bad.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Karl0413, Revanfan1 and Stymi like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

ATimson, spicer and LelalMekha like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not sure why people are viewing neo-Thrawn being different as a bad thing, TBH. He'll likely preserve many of the overall aspects of the character, and for Rebels in particular it'll be a good thing for Season 3 to have an Imperial military antagonist instead of another darksider.

And honestly, given how many people complained - not without reason - about Zahn whitewashing the character, I'd expect people to be happy about Aftermath portraying likely-Thrawn as a rather evil fellow.

10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Excellent example. I'm a huge and long time Asimov fan.

That movie was loosely, almost not at all related to the Asimov book of the the same name.

But I can compartmentalize. I still liked the movie.

Some are mistaking my comments for being anti-NEU Thrawn. I'm not saying that at all. I think it would be cool.

But his character would not be the same. By necessity, it would be a different character. Similar, but different.

Not sure how that is coming across as anti-Thrawn. I just hope it is done well and has a good story to support his appearance.

blackmyron likes this.
  11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    For me, it was much more the book. My initial interpretation of TCW Vos was that he was putting on a show...a mask in jest, like a game Obi and him play.

Then the book...so bad.

Vthuil, spicer and LelalMekha like this.
  12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I really don't understand what everyone's problem with the book was. All things considered in the confines of the NEU thr pairing of Ventress and Vos worked out pretty well.

13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    When I read Aftermath, I was totally in team "nope, not Thrawn". My certainty has been substantially ... weakened.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, would the Mysterious Fleet Admiral, if it is Thrawn, meet his demise in the Aftermath trilogy? Would Rebels introduce a Big Bad and then have his story wrapped up in Aftermath?

Guy's only in one chapter and I'm already saying he's Thrawn and he's gonna die by the end, hahahha.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's half of my issue.

If it is Thrawn, then he needs to be dead by the time the war ends, unless they pursue him as a war criminal. I'd rather not have Thrawn return just for him to be killed off in two books and at most a few episodes of a season of Rebels episodes... if he also gets some attention there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

What if the First Order has its own power struggle and there's an interesting tension and intrigue between Thrawn and Snoke. We know how well he gets along with Dark Force Users Who Felt They Should Be In Charge. What if Snoke starts out as the Useful Tool that... gets out of hand.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Snoke as Joruus C'baoth confirmed. :p

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...Sinre, Thrawn died off in his introduction trilogy in Legends too. How's this different? Did Zahn create him just to kill him off? :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Vthuil, Revanfan1 and Taalcon like this.
  19. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    No major villains get introduced in the first or second part of a trilogy in Star Wars only to be killed off the concluding part of the trilogy.
    #Vader
    #Fett
    #Palpatine
    #Jabba

Stymi likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Or even Dooku, who lasted like a minute into ROTS

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1, Force Smuggler and Taalcon like this.
  21. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    That's Count Dooku for you. Or Dooku of Serenno. ;) As an admirer of Core-world nobility one has to keep up appearances.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Jango and Greivous... didn't even make it to a sequel.

But, I also agree it would really diminish the significance of Thrawn if he dies in Aftermath 3.

23. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

I'd say not so much, especially if he is concurrently introduced as a substantial force in Rebels. I mean, I bet there's a ton of fascinating and important storytelling to happen with Lor San Tekka. And his first canonical appearance has him killed within minutes.

Stuff like out-of-order puzzle pieces that work together so well (IE, Fenn Rau in Rebels and Kanan comic) is part of what's been making the Story Group planning so fun.

Vthuil and Stymi like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    First, Serenno isn't a Core World.

Second, the accurate style of address is either Lord Dooku or Dooku. Count Dooku is the title, not the name, and is therefore only used when employing the full address (such as on a letter head or when being announced. Then it's: Lord Dooku, Nth Count Dooku.

Trying to correct me on proper etiquette for addressing nobility, tsk :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

LelalMekha likes this.
  25. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Since my leanings are more technocratic/meritocratic I think I can be forgiven. [face_whistling]

Would "Dooku, Count of Serenno" work?